Light Guide in Ableton Live

Options
MelwayMan
MelwayMan Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi All,

Long time lurker and first time poster. Thanks to the many contributions of others, I've been able to get a lot of help without needing to post.

If I've put this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate and as it is a potential integration question, I can head over to the Ableton forum if required, but this is a good a place as any to start. (There's every chance that I'm the problem and not the hardware or software)

I'm using both a Komplete Kontrol S25 Mk1 and a KK S61 Mk2 attached via USB in Ableton Lite 11. When I drag either the Komplete Kontrol or Kontakt plugins to my project, I can see all of the light guide detail.

Once I've added a second plugin instance (say first is vibraphone, second is xylophone) and then switch back to the vibraphone, none of the light guide is working, I just get a line of blue lights.

Everything else works well, I can see the Ableton mixer on the S61 screen and the buttons to select the different plugin instances work just fine, I just can't see where my ranges are. In my example, I know that the xylophone and vibraphone are using the same range, however, thrown in some timpani, a marimba and a glockenspiel then things get a little more dicey when I'm having to make rapid instrument changes.

The context of needing the above is me playing auxiliary percussion in a stage musical.

I also have an Akai MPD set of pads, which I use an Ableton instrument rack for. From what I can work out, I think this preludes me from being able to do it all in the NI software suite.

Any help/guidance/tips would be very much appreciated.

Tim

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MelwayMan I've contacted you by email, my colleagues will need to have a deeper look in your system.

Answers

• MelwayMan
    Options

Thanks for your reply, but the issue isn't on the the Windows side of things, it's with the light guide and screens on the KK61.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Only one instance of Komplete Kontrol can be used at the same time, one of the two should turn to MIDI mode. Can you reproduce the issue with only the S25 mk1 ? With only the S61 MK2 ? What is your operating system?

• MelwayMan
    Options

Hi Jeremy,

Running Windows 10, 22H2. Yeah, I have the same issue with both keyboards, although from a playing perspective, it's not as critical on the S25. (It's permanently on one instrument).

I'm not sure on the technical implementation of VST3, but there is only ever one instance of the NI Kontakt plugin running at any given time, as that's the selected channel in Ableton.

I have tried both adding instruments through both the Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt plugins and get the same results from both.

I'm wondering if I should be looking to build a multi-instrument rack in Kontakt and importing that to Ableton and then changing between various NI instruments in the multi-rack.

Tim

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MelwayMan I've contacted you by email, my colleagues will need to have a deeper look in your system.