Does Kontakt libraries [NKS] be loaded on MASCHINE+?

ethnikman
ethnikman Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hi community!

I am building a dawless setup and my missing link is to be able to play libraries from the spotlight Collections live (without a laptop).

Can Kontakt libraries (NI or 3rd party) be loaded as virtual instruments within Maschine+ ?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,258 Expert
    Answer ✓

@ethnikman You can find anything that can be loaded in Maschine+ in this page.

Kontakt version in M+ is called Factory selection and contains only few instruments from Kontakt factory library, no other library can be loaded on it

Nothing more is available on it, unless you sample the instruments with autosampler (as said above) and create your own instrument.

Note that the last part of the page (the one after “CONNECT TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR EVEN MORE SOUNDS”) means you are using M+ as a controller for Maschine software (therefore like using a Maschine MK3) and not in standalone mode. The instruments listed there are run by the computer and not by Maschine+ itself.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,324 mod
    edited May 2023

Yes the can. But not all of them.

Those who are officially supported by NI, usually can. Some others too as well.

The rest can work too, but you have to do it manually, by saving the presets one by one.

• ethnikman

Thanks @Sunborn for the quick response.

Do you meant that presets needs to be saved manually (NKS) for the unofficial Kontakt libraries and custom ones?

The officially supported one by NI or NI's libraries would work flawlessly?

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Really? How?

Because the last information I had is that my Maschine+ only have few instruments from the Kontakt factory library (very few). No other NKS library can be loaded in M+, unless you sample them with autosampler

Can you give some example of NI or 3rd party libraries that can be loaded in M+ standalone without the computer?

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

@ethnikman You can find anything that can be loaded in Maschine+ in this page.

Kontakt version in M+ is called Factory selection and contains only few instruments from Kontakt factory library, no other library can be loaded on it

Nothing more is available on it, unless you sample the instruments with autosampler (as said above) and create your own instrument.

Note that the last part of the page (the one after “CONNECT TO YOUR COMPUTER FOR EVEN MORE SOUNDS”) means you are using M+ as a controller for Maschine software (therefore like using a Maschine MK3) and not in standalone mode. The instruments listed there are run by the computer and not by Maschine+ itself.

• Sunborn
    edited May 2023

Without the computer???? Of course not! How did you thought that? Without the software you have very limited options (if you have at all!)

Edit: sorry, i didn't noticed the "without a laptop" on the original post :-)

• Sunborn

Sorry, i somehow didn't paid attention to your "without a laptop" notice! My answer is correct if you use the software. If you don't, then i don't know, i always use software with my Maschine (or any other instrument)

• ethnikman

Thank you all for your responses!

It is a deal breaker for me unfortunately, since Push 3 standalone can handle the original Ableton project and I was hoping Maschine+ could handle clock sync'd live jamming on its amazing Kontakt libraries standalone.

I'll keep bouncing audios from the Midi Kontakts tracks as WAV.

Unfortunately, I won't go the M+ route (Yet). Hopefully in a software update or if the option (if ever) is going to be in a newer standalone Maschine ++

Great community, thank you!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru

You can create custom Kontakt 6 patches and they will load up in Maschine+, but anything released for Kontakt Player will not work, nor will DRM-protected commercial kontakt libraries. Kontakt patches from indie vendors such as Past 2 Future samples should work though

• LostInFoundation

😶

I didn’t know even this. Do you have a custom patch to send me to test on my Maschine+?

• tetsuneko
    edited June 2023

hmm, let's see. I can't send you any P2F samples patches (copyrighted), I'd have to sample a patch myself.. I'll see if I can get something cooked up before tomorrow (depending on workload)

When authoring custom Kontakt patches, same things apply as with Reaktor content, must be made with the same version or earlier than what exist in Maschine+.. so that's Kontakt desktop 6.4.3 or earlier I think?

• LostInFoundation

Thank you. But if you have to build it I can make it on my own to spare you the work. I thought you had something ready to test before putting work on it ☺️

• tetsuneko

oh, no need to test, I have been using custom Kontakt patches for a long time now, they work

Anyways, just wrapping up one patch.. I'll just test it first on my M+ just as a sanity check - its almost 500MB though!

• tetsuneko
    edited June 2023

Yepp, seems to work as expected! I didn't include any custom UI for the Kontakt patch, and didn't optimize the UI in Maschine, so loading the patch results in 16 pages of worthless parameters displaying "n/a" in the M+ UI, other than that, works as expected.

I could share the patch (just a basic Korg M1 piano, sampled at every key of the keyboard via Maschine+'s autosampler), but not sure if there is any interest in such a thing in the community, considering it weighs almost 500 megs uncompressed.. and I've no sensible way of hosting such a file for any reasonable period of time anyways

Kontakt desktop 6.7.1 is the version which has 100% parity with Maschine+ standalone.. I misremembered earlier when I thought it was 6.4.3 (that's Reaktor, mixed them up in my head LOL)

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023

But…wait…so you sampled it with M+ autosampler? This I knew it could be made (being it a feature of M+ itself, or even Maschine software).

Is importing a Kontakt instrument (built by the user) that was new to me

• tetsuneko
    edited June 2023

I used the autosampler to capture 128 notes at 100 velocity, saved them onto the SD card. I then copied those samples to my mac, opened Kontakt 6.7.1, created a new instrument, and imported those 128 sampled notes into Group 1, saved the patch with samples, copied to my my SD card, booted M+ in standalone, and loaded it in from the browser from INSTRUMENTS - KONTAKT - USER

This was just a quick test, I should now spend the time creating sensible envelope and fx controls for the patch in Kontakt before resaving. Obviously, the benefits of Kontakt do not really come in to play with such a simplistic patch.. but remember, Kontakt 6 has access to Replika delays, Solid EQ & Compressor, granular synthesis, and that is just the start.. ;)

Peeps are sleeping on the vast potential within.. same with Reaktor.. Maschine+ really comes into its own when you roll up your sleeves and start using the full suite of content authoring tools available for the platform. Why NI does not promote the DIY potential of M+, I will never know..