Time to tell the truth about NI after 20 years in the business

Comments

• NI-SUX
    NI-SUX Member Posts: 9 Member
    1. Liine (2014): Native Instruments acquired Liine, a company known for developing innovative music apps and controllers. Liine's flagship product, Lemur, is a popular touch-based MIDI controller app.
    2. Metapop (2017): Native Instruments acquired Metapop, a platform that allows musicians to collaborate, share, and remix music. This acquisition aimed to integrate Metapop's technology into Native Instruments' products to enhance user experiences.
    3. The Loop Loft (2017): Native Instruments acquired The Loop Loft, a company specializing in high-quality loops, samples, and virtual instruments. The Loop Loft's content was integrated into Native Instruments' product portfolio, expanding their library of sounds and loops.
    4. Nave (2018): Native Instruments acquired Waldorf's Nave software synthesizer. The acquisition aimed to strengthen Native Instruments' presence in the software synthesizer market.
    5. iZotope (2021): In June 2021, Native Instruments announced its intent to acquire iZotope, a leading audio technology company known for its innovative audio processing tools and plugins. However, please note that as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, this acquisition had not yet been finalized.

The latest NI Acquisition !!!!

• NI-SUX

@Maciej Repetowski : you are absolutely right !

@Kymeia : True Massive Kompact Komplete are and always have been NI interfaces - Kontakt is a standalone piece of software that powers many Native Instruments sample libraries. Komplete is a bundle that contains many instruments and plugins, including Kontakt 7 that most of the time will prevnt you from using vst that do not comply with NI systems. In other words NI locked you up into using these aggregators. MASSIVE : commercial wavetable software synthesizer plugin aggregating other vst synth ... NI just packages things and lock you up.

• NI-SUX

Most definitely yes :) 100% agree

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,725 mod
    edited May 2023

I don't recall NI acquiring Liine, I'm doubtful about that, I thought Liine had just gone bust but it does appear they have been acquired by some one (not NI)

Metapop sure...

Waldorf Nave though - still owned by Waldorf as far as I know (still in myWaldorf account) - can't see any reason why NI would even be interested considering they have a much better wavetable synth of their own already

I think iZotope was more of a merger between multiple parties

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,258 Expert

Ranting about how they act now doesn’t mean they haven’t done any good products since 2000.

It only means the way they handle things now makes users worried to lose the good products they own. Making a company fail is not too difficult, and Soundwide seems to know the way.

What it looks to me is they are trying to spill the last possible drops of milk from the cow, not trying to save its life

• LostInFoundation

The article says MIDI Kinetics acquired Lemur app, not Liine. Which is, in any case, good news

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod

Everything he is complaining about is decade+ old problems, SoundWide is just the latest thing people use to blame tbh...

• LostInFoundation

And…why people need to blame something with NI isn’t interesting?

I have a simple solution: make things that work. And when they don’t (it can happen), give a serious support. (Or even better: if you already have something working (see NA1), don’t put out a NA 2 that right now is A MESS)

Easy as that. I’m sure people won’t blame nothing, if things would work

• LostInFoundation

And…just a curiosity: why half of the time you are complaining too (and even say you don’t use Maschine anymore because of all its problems and NI not answering users request) and half of the times when it is somebody else complaining you say they are just” blaming”?

I respect you a lot, specially all the help you give, but I don’t understand your duality

• D-One
    edited May 2023

@NI-SUX

I'm right now in the market for a new computer with the eternal same questions ... MAC vs PC, will I be able to transfer all my NI licence from PC to MAC or will I have to pay again ? ... which is why after 20 years of productions it was time to speak the truth about NI

Which one you pick is more of a preference than anything, Windows is factually much better in regards to supporting older stuff. There's no such thing as transferring licenses between OS's, when you buy something it doesn't matter if you use Mac or Windows, licenses apply to both... What can happen, is due to what I said above an older product might not work with a modern Mac.

IMO trying to personify a big company is a huge mistake, their primary goal is to make money and companies aren't our friends to take our best interest first; if they can make $ with minimal effort/resources they will, if something that makes users happy means spending resources but does not yield a monetary return on investment they prob won't... Always assume that.

Ignoring the user base for too long might slowly kill any company if it has competition tho... This has happened before to some of NI's biggest products.

What's the implication here? That buying other companies/tech is bad for us Users?

Metapop died, Sounds.com looks borderline dead to me and iZotope was not acquired by NI, it's more like they joined forces on the soundwide thingy. Never heard about them buying out Nave or Liine.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,725 mod
    edited May 2023

Liine were the original developers (as I recall Cycling74 were also involved one point)

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

I know. I even owned an original Lemur hardware before Liine made the app.

What I was saying is they bought the app, not the company

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Sometimes people unhappy with the actual situation by NI just need to voice it out (and maybe hope somebody from the company will read it).

I don’t get why other users always have to come in and play NI lawyers (not talking about you now @D-One).

It’s not like when somebody makes a thread saying good things about NI all the users who have some things to complain about come in the thread starting to say they are wrong.

If somebody is happy about NI, very good (I’m happy about a lot of things too)

But if somebody else has things to complain about, let him do it. NI surely doesn’t need lawyers

• D-One
    edited May 2023

No, no, no... I never said such a thing, I would never blame a user! I'm advising how to handle certain things based on my experience.

What I said was during transitions it's your responsibility to ensure you can keep working or recall older projects, imagine recording a major artist in 2003, you work on what becomes a hit and you got paid handsomely, then in 2023 the artist needs the project tracks for an anniversary remix or something... can you image telling Beyonce "hey, I don't have thew song because at the time I used 32bit plugins" ? It's a silly example but IMHO having this in mind will make you have failsafe measures in place to protect yourself.

Nothing he complained about is the user's fault, it's the way tech works and evolves, as a "pro" you're paid to deal with the intricacies that involve being in an industry that requires software, heck even as a hobbyist... this is for your own sanity.

There's no duality, I rarely use Maschine because to me it's stuck in mud and didn't evolve much in the past 8 years, that + ignoring users requests for the same amount of time means I'm out, I'll never buy another Maschine product unless this changes. As I said before here, I vote with my wallet. The only reason I remain on the forum is because I like helping people. I've sold my Mikro MK3 and my KKS Mk2, I'd prob sell my M+ too if it wasn't a gift.

• LostInFoundation

Ok. Thank you a lot for explaining me.

I was sure in your case I was the one misunderstanding 👍🏼