Mac OS 13.3.1 Final Cut Pro freezes on startup during Audio Unit Validation

Answers

• Callaf
    Callaf Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi Jeremy, In my experience Final Cut validation is stuck with waves plug-ins and Arturia plug-in as well.

• John Hamilton
    John Hamilton Member Posts: 1 Member

Same problem here. NI plugins hang up in FCP X with Venture 13.3.1.

My set up is more for music, so I had more than 400 plugins to weed through. I finally got all to validate in FCP X except those in the pic.

The real pain in this is Guitar Rig which I use all the time.

• maurizio.dececco
    maurizio.dececco Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I have the same problem; i have the strong impression that it is not a matter of one plugin not passing validation, but a lower level software issue, like a memory corruption; i tried the traditional binary search to find which plugin make final cut stuck, and i got different results if i take different paths; what i mean, let's say that if i have selected a group of plugins that allows Final Cut to start, then i add another group of plugin that alone let FinalCut start, then the two together make Final Cut hung. It sound like an instability introduced by the validation of some plugin that cause another validation to hungup. So, no simple way to find out what stop; i just take out plugins in random way until Final Cut start, and made a second 'Component.FinalCut' folder. I use NI, Arturia, and other stuff. Anyway, since a part of NI plugins is not yet officially compatible with Ventura, i think there is nothing to do until they (and the others) are officially compatible; at that point, if the problem persist, bug reports will be useful.

• Mike Jarjoura
    Mike Jarjoura Member Posts: 5 Member

I ran into the same issue last night and today.

I moved all of my plug-ins from the components folder... Mac HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components, and FCP (Final Cut Pro) was able to launch with no issue. Then, group by group I moved them back and relaunched FCP. That worked and I only moved a small handful of NI plugs and that froze up FCP. So for now, I'm just running FCP without NI plugins.

I do have Logic Pro X on, and I use NI extensively in my projects.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

In my experience this also applies to some Izotope plugins. It seems as though FCP is more choosy in its validation process than Logic.

• Mike Jarjoura

Thanks, Keith. In this particular issue, all of my Izoptope plugins were validated by FCP without issue. Hope that helps with troubleshooting.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

Thanks Mike. I will try them again - one at a time - and see if I have better luck.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro

This is well known issue (if one is in Apple pro apps universe). FCP has had problems with AU plugins and validation for quite some time now. Many plug-in vendors are affected, not just NI - everyone is waiting for Apple to fix it on their side.

• Mike Jarjoura

Thanks, Maciej. In this particular issue, every vendor's plugins that I own, load within FCP, except for NI plugins. This issue is the latest MacOS 13.3.1 issue. Do you have plugins that are not loading? If so, please share them here.Any plugins that don't load within FCP, I've been alerted. But this issue, just hangs FCP and even crashes due to timing out.

• Maciej Repetowski
    edited May 2023

Not myself, but I’ve read about it on Apple Discussions and I recall Waves plug-ins were not compatible with FCP on Apple Silicon Macs (they are AS compatible in other Hosts, including Logic). This is specific FCP/Ventura issue AFAIK.

• Mike Jarjoura

Thanks, Maciej.

I have tested Waves plugins; they have loaded correctly with FCP launch. I have also identified a few Antares Tech, but once they were marked as not compatible, FCP skips them on launching. Still testing, but still comes down to this, before MacOS 13.3.1, FCP had no issues, now with this latest Apple patch, NI plugins freeze FCP from loading. Once removed from the 'components' folder, FCP has no issues.

So my question for the forum is, what is different about the validation process for NI plugins that is different than say, Korg, or Arturia, or Spectrasonics, which all allow FCP to validate and load.

• Maciej Repetowski

No problem, however Waves still lists their plugins as not compatible with FCP:

Just scroll further down to see the note about FCP incompatibility.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey all, our QA has filed a feedback report to Apple. If you have any crashlogs at hand we can join to the report, feel free to zip them and post them here.

• Mike Jarjoura

Thanks, Maciej. It did take quite some time as I have lots of waves, but FCP did validate all waves, except one, in which I agreed to ignore future warnings. I am running v14 waves.

I will post any crash reports, thanks!!!

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited May 2023

This is a widely known issue, and there are probably 5 threads a day popping up on the Apple Community Forums from people who take that update and end up with a splash screen with frozen AU Validation for FCP.

I haven't been able to boot FCP up since 13.3.1 launched. I actually removed ALL of my NI Software, and it simply froze on the iZotope plug-ins, instead. If I remove them, it will Freeze on Softube and then Serato, and then Klevgrand, and then UVI or whatever else.

The only way to start it is to rename the Components directory to avoid having it scan and validate anything. Everything is flawless in Logic Pro, of course.

Some people are seeing it frozen on Apple's own system/stock AU Components, in some (albeit rare) cases.