Improve tempo fader setting to prevent sudden tempo jumps

Options
michaelk86
michaelk86 Member Posts: 9 Member

When a track which is currently the MASTER ends or is stopped, while in SYNC mode, the new track becomes the MASTER, and the tempo will not change until the tempo fader on the new master track is moved, at which point it will jump suddenly to whatever tempo that fader is set to. I am currently using the Kontrol S4 MK3 with faders set to Absolute mode, not Relative mode.

I currently try to work with this by remembering to set an approximate tempo on the next track's fader before switching over, and if I forget, trying to move the fader very quickly to prevent a sudden tempo jump.

I'm suggesting an improved setting that is common on Pioneer gear, where the tempo on the new master track will not be changed until the fader is moved to the exact position that corresponds with the currently set tempo, from which point it can be adjusted smoothly without any sudden jumps.

Best Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 297 Pro
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@michaelk86

You can already set your tempo fader to the described "Pioneer" feature. It's called "soft takeover" and in Traktor´s midi command since ages.

Go into the preferences -> Controller Manager

Select your controller mapping and find the commands for your tempo faders. Then, check "soft takeover" in every fader´s command and now your tempo faders should only move when the parameters in the software and on the hardware match.

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,751 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Check if you have 'Assignment' of the default setting 'Device Target'. If so, set it to 'Deck A' or 'Deck B'.

Doing this for all four decks are a bit more complicated.

Answers

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 297 Pro
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@michaelk86

You can already set your tempo fader to the described "Pioneer" feature. It's called "soft takeover" and in Traktor´s midi command since ages.

Go into the preferences -> Controller Manager

Select your controller mapping and find the commands for your tempo faders. Then, check "soft takeover" in every fader´s command and now your tempo faders should only move when the parameters in the software and on the hardware match.

• michaelk86
    Options

@c0nsul

Thanks for bringing this to my attention..

I tried mapping the tempo adjust left and right on my S4 Mk3 and checking 'Soft Takeover', and the result was that the tempo faders no longer worked. Is there something I am missing, or a detailed how-to guide for mapping this on the standard Traktor controllers?

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,751 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Check if you have 'Assignment' of the default setting 'Device Target'. If so, set it to 'Deck A' or 'Deck B'.

Doing this for all four decks are a bit more complicated.

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,053 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

maybe you also have to set the override setting if you see it in order to make it work, as this is already possible, it´s an issue post as a suggestion post

• michaelk86
    Options

@Sûlherokhh Many thanks, that has fixed the issue and now soft takeover is functioning correctly

@Uwe303 Yes, this did become an issue post as I didn't know it was already possible, it doesn't appear to be common knowledge. So my suggestion would be to include a tempo fader 'soft takeover' checkbox option under the S4, S2 etc. preferences menu, underneath where you choose the Absolute or Relative setting

• Fredstudio
    Fredstudio Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Thank you @michaelk86 for this info I was looking to find this mode that I had on an old controller and the default mode of the S2mk3 did not please me I managed to find my favorite setting 😉

• michaelk86
    Options

@Uwe303 I've worked out how to activate Soft Takeover function for the tempo faders correctly.. my point is that it is not obvious that it is possible to do this. The only mention I've found about the Soft Takeover function is on the following support page (and it is buried in there!)

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209590569-How-to-Use-the-Controller-Manager-in-TRAKTOR

My feeling is that it's such a useful function that it should be selected by default, and a one click checkbox option to deactivate/activate within the individual controller settings page

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,053 mod
    Options

Absolutely this function should be active from start on or a selection should appear while first start traktor with that controller - maybe in the installation wizard.