New to DJing - Few questions on Traktor and Controllers

Hawk45
Hawk45 Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi all,

This is my first foray into DJing and will 100% be hobby/home enjoyment, mostly Deep House music. I have background with other hardware and software (Ableton, Arturia, Roland, Elektron) I use for hobby music production.

Looking at all the options in software, Traktor seems to be a good option and they have nice controllers. I'm not really interesed in any subscription services or large upgrade costs/licenses which rules out Serato/Rekordbox from what I have researched.

Was thinking of going with the base S2MK3 to get into things, but wondering if going with the S3 is a better option, adding the 2 extra tracks. Not sure I would need them starting but is the upgrade worth it in the beginning? I did see somewhere that I could use a 2 track controller and still take advantage of tracks 3/4 via laptop control if I just wanted to use those for loops or fills. Is that correct? If so, the S2 might be all I would need.

After seen lots of love for Traktor as a product ahead of it's time but disappointment of lack of updates and new features, it's good to see the roadmap posted.

Thanks,

Hawk

Tagged:

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,334 Expert

any subscription services or large upgrade costs/licenses which rules out Serato/Rekordbox from what I have researched.

If you buy a Pioneer rekordbox controller, it will unlock rekordbox with most features. No need to subscribe to anything.

Same with Serato controllers, but some beginner controllers only unlock Serato lite, which I have been told is limited.

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru

I would say S3 over S2 mk3 as it does give you the option to have 2 more decks to play with, which might come in handy for a mic if you get into streaming. S3 is only a bit more expensive and good value for what you get.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,562 admin

Another vote for S3 from me. I remember some users reaching out to share a feedback that for them S3 is the perfect mix of being beginner friendly while still allowing you to properly learn to DJ.

Speaking of roadmap, we have one for Traktor Pro 3 here.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,654 mod

S3 because even if you don't mix on 4 channels you can remap channels C and D to control your effect parameters.