RIP the old forum

Options

Comments

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

I didn't catch that sorry - that thread is not about the old forum anymore btw and so if you want us to react, it might be better to keep in on topic.

I already mentioned that we want to make the entire "Building with Reaktor" section available (and the Kontakt Scripting) but this still requires more work from dev teams and unfortunately, we can't make threads available on an individual basis until then.

With that said, a fair amount is available on archive. I don't have the title of the threads you are looking for but I found one on advanced serialisation: https://web.archive.org/web/20220825044230/https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/toolset-for-advanced-serialization-and-iteration.143726/

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    edited March 2023
    Options

You missed the point entirely right? nobody wanted two communities, just an archive of all the old data that has now gone, along with most of the users who created that old data, learning Reaktor just became much more of a chore that will put off most users, and is a bit worrying for the platforms future.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,114 admin
    Options

Maybe read my previous post :

I already mentioned that we want to make the entire "Building with Reaktor" section available (and the Kontakt Scripting) but this still requires more work from dev teams.

I also already mentioned that we would make more content available if there is enough interest. Learning Reaktor is still possible and accessible. You have a community here with more questions being answered than in the old forum and you have a Discord channel ran by Evil Dragon geared towards builders.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    Options

I was off after my last message. Just posting due quotation.

Regards.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 820 Guru
    edited March 2023
    Options

If you check the videos they are talking about code deployment so agnostic that could be a possible fixing for the vst3 issues pointed at beta topic.

Q: how does a new, different language make it easy to fix a huge very old code base created in a completely different language?

In fact that’s the whole aim of SoundStacks building a foundation language where build software on top. If you know Reaktor history it’s very similar.

Reaktor was not initially a development language for DSP - not even close.

I remember when Reaktor was new. It was exciting to see a virtual modular synthesis system on PC, but not so interesting to me exactly because it was not a development environment. I chose sinc modular instead because that was more of a DSP development environment. Years later, NI brought in the creator of Sinc Modular, and they introduced that tech as 'core'. That's when I made the switch. Some point after that, NI did start to ship products developed in core, but Reaktor was a very mature product by then.

Sound stacks unnamed vapourware product is very different from Reaktor in so many ways, I'm surprised you are so focussed on equating the two!

The thing is SoundStacks stated their development as “internal tool later released to public” and that capture among comments in the first video point towards “box and arrow” paradigm (max, reaktor, vvvv…) as one of the ways to interact.

Maybe you were not listening closely. They specifically stated that they would definitely be using a C style language syntax. They did briefly mention graphical arranging, but only at a much higher level than the DSP code.

My bet is “In some moment Reaktor will be integrated into SoundStacks and after that new SoundStacks Reaktor will be released to the public”. I will say 3 years.

It doesn't make sense to integrate Reaktor into Sound stacks, as stated, the low level coding in sound stacks will be C style syntax, and the low level core part of Reaktor is really the only thing worth keeping if you were going to reuse Reaktor tech. Not sure why NI would give that tech to a different company anyway - would be a bad move. Too many of their products are based on it, and they would lose control of it.

...If NI were to start using the Sound Stacks product as a development tool, then it would be possible to rewrite Reaktor using that language, but highly unlikely due to the massive resources required. And also the fact that the the tricky bit of Reaktor is not audio DSP at all, Reaktor core is a compiler. So using a language specifically designed to optimise audio DSP doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You should go and watch the Sound Stacks vid again a bit more carefully before commenting further on this ;)

Just out of interest, they said in the vid that we would hear more soon, but that was something like 9 months ago. Is there more news?, how is the project developing?

• Mutis
    Options
  • Mutis
    Options

The one listed in this comment. Did you see or you advice me to look deeply the first without seen that one? You should be more carefully winking people ;)

BTW…

At this point, perhaps it is time to comment on the situation. For a variety of reasons, NI is not in a position to invest major resources in this product, which has not been news for some time. I'm not going to comment on the details, nor on whether or not I personally think all of these reasons are indisputable.”

Do you remember these words from here?

Maybe, even without enough knowledge, I wasn’t too of the mark… worst case scenario Reaktor becomes deprecated at all since it isn’t the core foundation for new NI-SoundWide developments.

I know… out of context but if you read Georg statement carefully you can even find why even why old forum seems not so important almost for Reaktor (?)

I still think Reaktor useful code could go side to side with SoundStacks and about C++ and DSP, check that video please and , with your knowledge, explain me it again. Also the capture about “box and arrow”. I probably missed something and I will appreciate these corrections sincerely.

Also as someone suggested I will get off the discussion (I hope your next message clears out all my mistakes) and, instead opening a dedicated topic, I shared that video in different topics since SoundStacks seems a glue interesting for any NI-SoundWide development.

Cheers!

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    edited March 2023
    Options

I am learning Reaktor, I was learning by reading old posts on the old forum (rarely in building with Reaktor by the way) there is very little content in this forum for people like me, yes I have had help in the Discord from ED, but reality about that Discord is that it is mostly advanced builders that don't have much time (rightly so, people have lives) to be a support network for something that is, actually, a very deep and complex topic, building in Reaktor, and it is also worth noting that even though those guys are advanced, want to guess how often I ask what seems like a basic question, and nobody knows the answer (again, a very deep and complex subject) but I have found an answer by scouring the old forum.

I am not asking for customer support, or help building in most instances, just access to the many years of backdated knowledge of the old forum that may have come in a small comment here or small comment there in an unrelated thread.

If it is a space issue, I am happy to donate space for it, no charge, no strings, no worries.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 820 Guru
    Options

I hadn't seen the most recent vid. I have now though, and I still don't see anything to suggest that C Major is aimed at the same demographic as Reaktor.

If NI decide to retire Reaktor, then I don't think that would be related in any way to C Major happening. They will or they wont based on whether it still gives a return on their investment of resources.

From what I can see, C Major looks fantastic, and as a software developer, it looks like something I will be exploring further, but the Reaktor user base is a different set of folk. There is only a small overlap on that venn diagram. When core was released in Reaktor 5, there was a lot of negativity about how difficult it was. Also in general, Reaktor gets a bad rap for being overly complex, particularly to learn. C Major is already orders of magnitude more complex to get started in. So much for folk to understand and learn if they are not already programmers.

Even if the promised (but still unseen?) graphical interface simplifies some stuff, there is a lot of developer jargon to parse to even understand how everything fits together. I really don't see it taking the place of Reaktor, it looks like a different thing that can live happily along side Reaktor and serve a whole different group of people.

Based on the info in the recent vid, I still think that the idea that NI removing access to the old Reaktor forum could have anything at all to do with Sound Stacks or C Major is ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense!

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Options

Matthieux, where is the link to the forum rules? On searching "forum rules" I got no result.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

Thanks Sunborn. What a title instead of Rules.

Now I can set the link to Titus who called me: "rude or condescending"

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/78375#Comment_78375

• thomas grey
    thomas grey Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hello to all,

Could someone tell me how I can access the old Reaktor Builder threads from the Wayback Machine ?

So much valuable info in there...

Many nice people gave great amounts of their time and energy to document a LOT of problem solving wizardry or other good ideas, I certainly won't ask them to express it a second time here...