spectrum analyzer/EQ on M+ w/iPad?

SHYGUY
SHYGUY Member Posts: 7 Member

yoo yoo yo,

Can someone tell me if I can run a spectrum analyzer or EQ on the iPad, of course with the appropriate USB hub and other equipment, so that I can theoretically do a little bit of mastering? On the go of course.

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Are you asking to do it in realtime? As in: sending audio from the M+ to the ipad for the visual spectrum analyzer while you use the tools inside the M+ to do the master?

If so and assuming you already found an spectrum analyser app you can either:

1. Get a USB interface and just use audio cables to connect the M+ to your iPad.
    2. Or try a USB-C/lightning to USB adaptor and see if your iPad is recognized by M+ as an Audio Interface - This prob wont work, I assume most people only need external interfaces added to iPad and not the iPad itself acting as an interface... The M+ behaves like this, the iPad must do aswell but I am not 100% sure as i dont own an iPad.

It's probably a way more practical to just export your mix, load it into the iPad and use DAW apps to Master it separately.

Answers

• D-One
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

Are you asking to do it in realtime? As in: sending audio from the M+ to the ipad for the visual spectrum analyzer while you use the tools inside the M+ to do the master?

If so and assuming you already found an spectrum analyser app you can either:

1. Get a USB interface and just use audio cables to connect the M+ to your iPad.
    2. Or try a USB-C/lightning to USB adaptor and see if your iPad is recognized by M+ as an Audio Interface - This prob wont work, I assume most people only need external interfaces added to iPad and not the iPad itself acting as an interface... The M+ behaves like this, the iPad must do aswell but I am not 100% sure as i dont own an iPad.

It's probably a way more practical to just export your mix, load it into the iPad and use DAW apps to Master it separately.

• SHYGUY
    SHYGUY Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2023

danke für die denkanstöße und schnelle antwort. Ich bin allgemein dankbar für deinen beiträge in der Community, wie z.b. der post mit der powerbank. da oist man sich gleich noch sicherer. EDIT: Sorry my german came trough :D Thank you for the insights and quick response. I'm generally grateful for your contributions in the community, such as the post about the power bank. It makes you feel even more confident.

Stupid question: Can I listen in on Option 1? I want to listen through headphones, maybe with an adapter for LineOut?

I'll try Option 2 in the next few weeks, I think it's pretty cool to control the iPad DAW with the M+. But let's see if it works the way I imagine it :D

Sometimes I'm considering switching directly to a MacBook.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

Use iconnectivity 4c or such (I use audio 4+) plug the M+ and the iPad both in to the same audio interface via USB, at the same time, route it all digitally over USB, you will need to set up the routing on a computer first, but it will all save to the interface.

No need to use audio cables and iPad wont act as an interface either unfortunately.

• D-One
    edited February 2023

@Flexi 's suggestion seems very practical, If $ is not an issue i'd probably go for that option. The only downside is 500$ for the interface + whatever the cost is for good DAW/spectrum app you end up paying almost as much on that as you did on the iPad or more depending on model. 🤷‍♂️

1200$+ worth of a spectral analyser seems a bit crazy.

Stupid question: Can I listen in on Option 1? I want to listen through headphones, maybe with an adapter for LineOut?

Theres not much to it, buy a cheap interface that you know woks with iPad and connect the Line-Out of the M+ to it's input, interfaces almost always have a headphone output, even the tiny iRig one afaik. Personally i'd probably get an Audient Evo 4, but anyone of thease should work:

https://crumplepop.com/audio-interface-for-ipad-complete-review-guide/

To be honest, for on-the-go/mobile if you have a Maschine plus + iPad + interface + cables + headphones then it's starts to be some much stuff that you might aswell just use a laptop+Maschine SW for the mastering part, up to you.