Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• shenrei
    shenrei Member Posts: 6 Member

Any difference in the feel of the synth action keybed of the MK3 when compared to the MK2?

• thenightflyer
    thenightflyer Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

It's not clear on the back picture if there is a port for an external ac needed if i want to use the KK with external Midi expander or keybd.

• ham2065
    ham2065 Member Posts: 13 Member

How does Midi 2.0 play into the development of the Mk3 keyboards. As Midi 2.0 is in its early stages a lot could change over the next 4 years. There are the improvements in timing, velocity resolution, micro tuning, per note settings which I assume this keyboard will cover with future firmware/os updates. Or are these in place right now? But what about Property Exchange and Profiles. I thought there would be less need for NKS with Midi 2.0 where a soft synth and midi controller can exchange details and auto configure. Is NKS 2 built on Midi 2.0 in this regard? I assume all companies are madly trying to come up with the most adopted implementation and it is quite competitive.

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 43 Helper

Can we not use the touch sensitivity of the knobs to select channels in DAW mode? That would be the most logical solution. Could also combine touching the knob while pressing the button as a way to solo instead of mute. In other words, the capacitance of the knob could act as a modifier.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru
    edited September 2023

@ham2065 said this: "How does Midi 2.0 play into the development of the Mk3 keyboards."

I would love to know the answer to this too. I think I've only scratched the surface on MIDI 2.0 and all it will offer to musicians and to music...

"As Midi 2.0 is in its early stages a lot could change over the next 4 years."

...but I think this statement is incorrect. The MIDI 2.0 protocol is now defined by all of the people making up the authority having governance over said protocol, and that means that should NOT change over time. Right?

I mean, if the IEEE didn't exist, we could end up with 32, 60, or 101 different versions of USB 1.0, and another 54 versions of USB 3.0, and nobody would be able to keep all of the pin assignments straight. We would be blowing devices (and maybe chips on motherboards) at every turn.

We have standards so that people don't get killed because "red means stop" in this town but "green means stop" in that town. And only a flashing magenta means stop in that town down by the river.

Right? Is MIDI 2.0 well-established and properly defined now from beginning to end? And changes to it would result in MIDI 2.1 or something similar?

• Tom Auger
    Tom Auger Member Posts: 36 Member

As an owner of an S25 (Mk I), an S61 Mk II, and an S88 Mk II I will probably skip a version as these are already outstanding physical instruments and controllers.

What needs to improve is KK. Big time. And everyone knows it. I am very worried that the direct Kontakt integration (is this confirmed or is it just a rumour?) will not be available to previous generations (though I can't imagine why other than planned obsolescence).

I would love further information about:

1. Whether there are plans to add backward compatibility of the direct Kontakt integration (if, indeed, this is not just a rumour)?
    2. What (if any) are the planned upcoming changes to Komplete Kontrol software to address the many usability and performance issues that have been around for years?

Looking forward to learning more!

• eriberto
    eriberto Member Posts: 2 Member
    1. Thanks a lot but with Kontrol mk3 next Gen NKS, will always need Komplete Kontrol software ore they work seamlessly like Kontakt seems to do.

• Tim_NI
    Tim_NI Product Team Posts: 51 mod

To answer the first part of your question which I don't think has been answered yet - direct track selection from the Soft Buttons in the DAW page is on the radar for Mk3. Watch this space!

• SSquared
    SSquared Member Posts: 6 Member

Wow! Thanks for the answer. The original reply made it sound like the decision was made and direct selection was not going to happen. I have recommended the MK2 to people doing live performance and it would be a bummer if the MK3 slowed down the ability to quickly change sounds. I just wanted to get that point across.

Oh, another question. Will the DAW integration work with Ableton Live 10 or only with version 11? I couldn't find anything on the web page (just says Ableton Live) and I don't remember reading it in this thread.

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper

Tom. If you go back up a few pages, it is explained quite clearly why Komplete Kontrol MK1 and MK2 (although they will always be supported) will not be compatible with NKS 2 (and probably not Kontakt).

The main reason being Hardware stack related.

MK3 now has a built in computer which does stuff that mk1 and mk2 can’t do, as mk3 doesn’t rely on komplete Kontrol to do most of that processing.

There also goes your KK performance improvement.

hope that makes sense. It’s much better explained by Matthew_NI earlier in the thread.

• Tim_NI
    Tim_NI Product Team Posts: 51 mod

The scripts are shipped with Ableton Live itself and will only be included in Live 11.

We will update the website with the minimum DAW versions, but in general it is always the most recent version of each.

• jakubpatok
    jakubpatok Member Posts: 59 Advisor

Thank you for answering my question. While I understand that the full integration with Maschine is not planned as of now, will the basic control of the Maschine software be implemented in the future? Videos from YouTube showed that even buttons like Stop, Play, Tempo don't work with the Maschine software. I understand the decision to remove Scene and Pattern control from the keyboard, but in my opinion it is weird that even some basic options are not available for Maschine users.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

jakubpatok

I understand the decision to remove Scene and Pattern control from the keyboard, but in my opinion it is weird that even some basic options are not available for Maschine users.

Maybe the 'state' of what Maschine is actually going to be has yet to be determined... that would then make sense........

• Royal Tee
    Royal Tee Member Posts: 39 Member

Will there be any other models or variations coming out?

• stevemakler
    stevemakler Member Posts: 14 Member

Hello Native guys,

Not sure it was answered but i'm trying again to be sure: is komplete S MK3 series will be totally compatible with maschine+ hardware ? (with same experience on integrated NKS instruments from machine+ to the new MK3 series ? I'm wondering also about this compatibility with the new USB-C port...

Just to be sure it will keep same interactivity and integration than we've today with the MK2 keyboards.

Arthur.

This discussion has been closed.