Are all buttons of the Komplete Kontrol keyboard mappable to a midi channel?

ErLouwer
ErLouwer Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
edited 9:11AM in Komplete Kontrol

Is it possible to link buttons and sliders on the KK Keyboard (A61 to be exact) to a midi channel in the KK Software? Im not speaking about the 9 main sliders (which i know is possible, because they already have their dedicated Midi port), but rather for example the bigger slider on the right or the "preset down" and "preset up" buttons aswell as the pitch slider on the lower left of the keyboard.

I dont know if these have a dedicated midi port, because (dissimilar to the 9 main sliders) they dont show any midi port on the screen of the Keyboard when interacting with them.

Can anyone tell me if they already have a dedicated midi port, and if not, how to give them one?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    Answer ✓

Short answer for your question, only the 8 encoders can be mapped and it is done in the KK software. It will show you what you can map, everything else is only for integration scripts of MCU mode and cannot be mapped to midi.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,405 Expert

You can open Controller editor and there you will see exactly what is mappable and what not

• ErLouwer
    edited June 2023

As mentioned in the post, I already know that. That didnt answer my question.

Unless we arent speaking of the same controller editor. Can you elaborate?

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023

Sorry. So I didn’t understood it.

I thought you wanted to assign midi channels to the various buttons and encoders/knobs (the ones you call sliders) in the keyboard and this is done through Controller editor

• LostInFoundation

Controller Editor is the NI program designed exactly to do this kind of jobs: create your own templates for the hardwares and assigning to every element midi channels, midi messages and so on

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/7083345683857-What-is-Controller-Editor-

• ErLouwer
    edited June 2023

When opening the software and going to view -> Select Device -> Komplete Kontrol i can only see

Komplete Kontrol S - 1

Komplete Kontrol S - 2

Komplete Kontrol S - 3

Komplete Kontrol S - 4

But i have Komplete Kontrol A61

• ErLouwer

Alright, back to my question:

I realise that i can map some of the buttons and sliders, like the 9 main ones in the middle of the keyboard and the one next to the right of the pitchbend on the lower left of the keyboard. But now i would like to map the pitchbend itself to a midi channel, so that it controls something else than the pitch. But i dont know what the current midi port of the pitchbend is, and if there is none, how to dedicate a midi port to the pitch bend. When clicking "learn midi automation" and adjusting the pitch bend, nothing happens, unlike the other sliders, where it automaticially maps it to the used slider.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod

Just to clarify, are you actually talking about MIDI channels? Because there are only 16 MIDI channels as a standard and they can not be divided across parts of the same instrument. Or you are talking about MIDI CC (Continuous Controllers) and the way to assign them on buttons, knobs, faders etc.?

Because the first option, is impossible. Any instrument (either synth, either controller or whatsoever) can be assigned to one MIDI channel only, for the whole instrument. Even if you choose omni channel (or, all channels, on some devices), still counts as one (the difference is that omni/all transmits to all MIDI channels instead of just one).

Therefor, it is not possible to have, for example, your main MIDI on channel 1, you Mod Wheel on channel 2, your volume slider on channel 3, etc.

• Sunborn
    edited June 2023

Ok so indeed you are talking about MIDI CC (Continuous Controllers) and the way to assign them on buttons, knobs, faders and not about MIDI channels (sorry i didn't noticed all the above comments at first).

So, to answer your question "i would like to map the pitchbend itself to a midi so that it controls something else", no, you can not do this, not just in your controller but on any MIDI device! Pitchbend is an independent module and it is not assigned to any MIDI CC! Everything else, yes you can.

Most common MIDI CC parameters:

• 1 – Modulation wheel
    • 2 – Breath control
    • 7 – Volume
    • 10 – Pan
    • 11 – Expression
    • 64 – Sustain pedal (on/off)
    • 65 – Portamento CC control (on/off)
    • 71 – Resonance (filter)
    • 74 – Frequency cutoff (filter)

• ErLouwer

Alright, and i assume there is no way to somehow manually assign Midi CC to the pitchbend.

One more question, what are the parameters for the bigger knob next to the 9 main knobs and the preset up and preset down buttons? I'd like to map these three things to something else.

• Sunborn

You can also do nothing for the preset up and preset down buttons. They are important as they are.

"The bigger knob next to the 9 main knobs" (they are 8 actually) is Navigation: Lets you browse your KOMPLETE KONTROL Library and navigate in your DAW with the 4-D encoder, as well as switch between BROWSER and PLUGIN mode... As you can understand this knob is also mandatory for your controller to function so obviously it also can not be assigned to anything else!

But really, why you trying to do this? Those 8 knobs are more than enough. You assign what you want to page 1 then, you go to page 2 and assign different things to the same 8 knobs! Then to page 3, page 4 etc. etc. ...you can have literally hundreds of assignments! If you make 20 pages you can have 160 different assignments.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,882 Expert
    Answer ✓

Short answer for your question, only the 8 encoders can be mapped and it is done in the KK software. It will show you what you can map, everything else is only for integration scripts of MCU mode and cannot be mapped to midi.

• bjare
    bjare Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

If there is no way to map the buttons, then my A49 is a useless piece of utter shite. And Native a bunch of petty fraudsters, who I'll never buy anything from again. Knobs are fine for adjusting filters etc, but to turn things on and off you need buttons. My M-audio keyboard from 2004 has better functionality than this piece of ******.

This discussion has been closed.