Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

Working in the corporate side of IT and Dev, Intel CPU’s have never been an issue. Software won’t be an issue between SOC’s either as they all utilize the same instruction set.

I am not sure they use the same instruction set... What about AVX-512? But I meant mainly introduced big.little and comming big.little.tiny. Scheduling threads is harder and this architecture might cause problems in time critical applications.... If they do not address the new architecture....

• myalteredsoul
    myalteredsoul Member Posts: 202 Advisor
    Options

From my understanding, the version of ableton they are running is a stripped down version of what already exists, with more powerful nuc compute units in mind for the future. None of us will know for sure until someone posts the Linux/ableton build online for download, tho.

i can’t imagine they did a ground up build, as it would add a second codebase to maintain. As a small company, it wouldn’t make sense, but would make the pricing make more sense if so.

my Push 3 is still on pre-order status, so anything I state is just speculation as well.

• Kubrak
    Options

OK, but noone could test Intel's big.little. tiny CPU architecture.... What I meant is, that upgrading HW may need also updating SW.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

For sure, it should be way more manageable on Linux than on Windows/Mac from the point of view of the user, the company should be prepared for it.

If your standalone upgrades the OS or it's libraries you might not even know about it (or care) while upgrading say from Windows 10/7 to 11 requires the user to knowingly commit. The whole point of the industry (AMD, Intel, Apple, and ARM) to be moving towards big.LITTLE is mainly for power/thermal efficiency in mobile devices... exactly what a standalone needs, no? I could be interpreting this wrongly tho

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 137 Pro
    Options

Linnstrument built into a standalone is next level. I don’t think I’m sold enough to drop $2.5k on Push + standard but maybe if they include Live standard for the $2k price and add an arranger I would consider it.

it’s not exactly that I don’t think it is worth it, it’s just the money plus the effort of learning a new paradigm when I’m pretty busy ATM.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro
    Options

what’s up with the mpc one+ then? How is it different from the previous one?

• D-One
    edited May 2023
    Options

Wireless connectivity, bigger internal storage, ethernet port removed and... it's red.

In a few more years an MPC One+ 2 comes out, this time they increase Ram and it's green colored or something, In the meantime if you want the best of that particular class you bought 3 of them and who knows if the 1st one will still handle the new instruments designed with the recent ones more in mind.

This is why upgradeable is better, just like in computers... It's funny everyone agrees that on a computer being able to add/change an internal SSD, CPU or Ram is great but apparently on a standalone music device it's a debate. 🤷‍♂️

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

Yeah you bought three of them, and they still cost less than one Push 3, and wait, you sold 2 of them and got a bunch of money back towards the third.

"It's funny everyone agrees that on a computer being able to add/change an internal SSD, CPU or Ram is great" the most popular computers for audio right now? go on, go onnnnn, yep macbooks, no SSD/CPU/RAM upgrades, creating a point to fit a narrative can always be done, the fact remains, PUSH 3 is too expensive for what it is.

• Kubrak
    edited May 2023
    Options

The whole point of the industry (AMD, Intel, Apple, and ARM) to be moving towards big.LITTLE is mainly for power/thermal efficiency in mobile devices... exactly what a standalone needs, no? I could be interpreting this wrongly tho

That applies to devices that have few demanding threads and many nonintensive.... And that often run idle....

IMHO, it is not case of music production. It needs the both solid single core and multicore performance... IMHO current Intels are not very suitable for music production.... Unless DAW is optimised for those CPUs. It cannot be left just on OS....

AMD will introduce big.little in next generation of CPUs. But their little will be either the same big core with less cache, or one generation older big core with less cache. And their "little" cores will maybe run on lower clock....

So, generally AMD's "little" is in fact quite big. There will not be much difference in performance and no difference in instruction set, like in case of Intel.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,149 Guru
    Options

Flexi said:

PUSH 3 is too expensive for what it is

So are MacBooks 😂

• OhulahanBass
    Options

I’ve actually saved money switching to MacBooks but would spend more if I had to just for reliability and less headaches. IMHO Mac is worth every cent, Microsoft isn’t as good but still rad with the touch stuff, Dell should go to jail for fraud as they keep selling door stops as computers.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,149 Guru
    Options

OhulahanBass said:

they keep selling door stops as computers

My doorstop works flawlessly streaming 3 hour sets twice a week, running music, visuals and effects on DJ software, VJ software, two cameras and two controllers.

• D-One
    edited May 2023
    Options

Bro I really don't wanna argue with you... I agree the price is insane, I've said that 10 times, I was focusing on something else other than Ableton's specific current pricing. I kind of feel like even when we agree you kind of try to fish out an argument for no reason...

Oh.. Fair point, I guess I was thinking in terms of the efficiency cores handling background services which might increase over time as standalones of this class became more complicated, or when you simply run projects not that demanding so the lower power ones can be used and you have less heat / power consumption to deal with, longer battery life and whatnot... Not even sure is this is an accurate assessment tho.

I'm happy too as far as laptops, switch every 8 years or so, my M1 was 900$ and I think it's a fair price. On the desktop side I prefer PC tho, I hackintosh exactly because I want to upgrade my main computer. I love what Framework is doing for example.

PC laptops have an insane variety of build quality, longevity, etc, even the same brand might have a great model than a another riddled with problems, so it's pretty hard to compare with MacBook.

• OhulahanBass
    Options

Ha, should have known this might lead to a derail. Im glad you have found a workhorse in a Dell, not my experience but I haven't touched them in a long while after receiving a pair of $3.5k bricks.

I think it is rad that Push offers upgrades, the cost and hassle of learning new paradigm doesn't make sense for me atm but I am curious where this goes. I use the heck out of my Maschine pads, I wonder how 2 extra dimensions of movement will wear out the product...perhaps users will be keeping the computer parts and swiping the interface on occasion.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    edited May 2023
    Options

The evolution of heat/power/battery and other such things will piggy back with zero effort needed by NI if they let an integrated iPad be the brains and display of a "standalone" device.

Why reinvent the wheel? Especially if you can't honestly compete with the existing "wheel"?