Are expansions that use Battery useless unless you actually buy Battery?

Markus Stone
Markus Stone Member Posts: 4 Member

Sorry for the noob question.

Kontakt has a free player, so I figure maybe there's some solution that allows expansions like Marble Rims or Soul Anthology to work. Or would that part of it just not work?

Seems kinda redundant to have Maschine and then double up buying another drum plugin to do more or less the same thing.

Cheers

Markus

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

2 or 3 things to make things clearer.

Expansions are practically a bunch of samples/loops plus some synths presets. They are practically packs. Those samples/loops are optimized to be accessed in a pre organized way in Maschine or Battery.

The Battery kits are composed practically by the same samples as the ones in Maschine (it’s not that you’ll get totally different kits opening the 2 programs)

All these samples and loops can be also used in any other program (they are wav files in the end) by accessing them through your computer browser (they will just not be already pre organized/assigned and they will not have the fxs NI thought to put after them and you’ll have to load them one by one instead of double clicking a kit to have it load all together perfectly organized)

The only thing you will not be able to use if you don’t own any NI program is the few synths presets (no Monark sound if you don’t own Monark)

This video maybe will help you to understand better:

And since you name Maschine+, if you have the Groups there you are not losing anything. As I said Battery packs are just the “same” thing…it’s not that you are losing half of the Expansion content

Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited May 2023

Most people would only use Battery if they didn't have or want to Maschine software to access all the Groups in expansions in their DAWs.

Always found that a bit odd though. Who owns Battery and expansions who doesn't have Maschine? A few I guess but I doubt many.

• Markus Stone

That's what I would have thought. So when Marble Rims says "Including 52 MASCHINE kits, 66 BATTERY kits, 14 MASSIVE presets, 18 MONARK presets, and 333 drum sounds, plus more"

Does that mean I won't have access to the 66 Battery kits since I don't have Battery?

• Markus Stone
    edited May 2023

Wait, I think I just proved my UberNoob-ness.

Battery doesnt show in Native Access, so I assumed I didn't have it (I assumed if there was a free player like with Kontakt or Reaktor it'd show up somewhere)

However, it *does show up inside Maschine Plus in controller mode, but not in standalone mode.

Then I realised Battery is not even on the list of compatible synths, so I'm assuming those battery kits will not be in Standalone mode, much like if you had a Massive X expansion or something.

So can anyone tell me if the entire expansion is unavailable, or if the sounds that are still compatible will still play? Or do you have to go through that annoying thing where you have patches that won't load (or won't sound) because they are missing Battery, but you're left wondering if it's just a slow envelope, or if something else is wrong?

Cheers

Markus

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

2 or 3 things to make things clearer.

Expansions are practically a bunch of samples/loops plus some synths presets. They are practically packs. Those samples/loops are optimized to be accessed in a pre organized way in Maschine or Battery.

The Battery kits are composed practically by the same samples as the ones in Maschine (it’s not that you’ll get totally different kits opening the 2 programs)

All these samples and loops can be also used in any other program (they are wav files in the end) by accessing them through your computer browser (they will just not be already pre organized/assigned and they will not have the fxs NI thought to put after them and you’ll have to load them one by one instead of double clicking a kit to have it load all together perfectly organized)

The only thing you will not be able to use if you don’t own any NI program is the few synths presets (no Monark sound if you don’t own Monark)

This video maybe will help you to understand better:

And since you name Maschine+, if you have the Groups there you are not losing anything. As I said Battery packs are just the “same” thing…it’s not that you are losing half of the Expansion content

• Markus Stone

Ah, cool that's great to know. Thanks for the answer, and that video was very interesting.

Cheers

Markus

• LostInFoundation

You’re welcome.

Jeff Gibbons is indeed a good source

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 998 Guru

I often wondered about this as a Machine+ user...

If an expansion says (as per earlier example) "Including 52 MASCHINE kits, 66 BATTERY kits" - are those 66 battery kits all completely different to the 52 Maschine kits, or are 52 of them duplicates of the Maschine kits? If they're dupes then I can only assume the other 14 are not.

• LostInFoundation

Battery packs are not organized exactly as Maschine groups (e.g. they don’t contain synths presets). Therefore the numbers don’t coincide.

But in the end, the samples pool they tap into is the same