Where is all the new gear?

Reed
Reed Member Posts: 39 Member

I have literally been AVOIDING DJing because I can't risk anything happening to my D2, and NI doesn't have Maschine Mk3 screen support for Traktor. I HATE having my laptop out, so I need y'all to bring back the D2 or allow for screenhacking the Maschine Mk3! Its been too long since I let my Traktor controllerism run free. Could anyone give me any sort of eta for some new gear to get me back out there?

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

No eta with NI.

And even if they would tell you “soon”, with them it wouldn’t mean anything 😂

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

I can’t understand some things...

If you HATE having your laptop out how are you going to dj with traktor?

You don’t want to risk your D2 but want to use Maschine mk3 as a replacement? Because it’s still in production meanwhile D2 not?

About new hardware a rumoured X1 mk3 or something covering the basics + pattern sequencer had been floating in the air from long ago… but no clue about screens and probably it will not be standalone neither.

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

That’s why he has D2s and ask for new gears: with those you can Dj with Traktor without ever looking at laptop screen. A little bit like with Maschine MK3 and S series MK2 you can produce/play forgetting about being connected to a pc

In the case of Traktor, even the “show” you are putting out to your audience takes advantage from this: you are not anymore the “Dj staring continuously at a Pc screen” but the “musician using its instruments”. I know, I know…it’s only mental…but mental is very powerful…☺️

• Mutis

I still think it’s flawed logic but if I should advice solutions I will say DjPlayer over an iPad (it works with very old and cheap devices) and xone k2 or similar as replacement. Detaching screen from control to keep parts replaceable…

Or directly Djay Pro and S3 if you are too much NI hw lover.

Another path could be rethink workflow>goal and simplify the set to a sweet spot between fun and useful (for the target goal)

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

?

I don’t think op wants any replacement for Traktor.

And…good suggestions…but, even if I’m a big fan of using iPads for music (I use them also for producing, within their limitations), I don’t think that neither DjPlayer nor Djay Pro come even close to Traktor, being it for number/quality of fxs, stability, access to functionalities like remix decks or sequencer, …

iPads for djing is still a “hey look…I can EVEN use an iPad” thing.

Not that it can’t be done…but surely not at the same level.

In any case staring at an iPad screen isn’t too different that staring at a laptop screen

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

What about of buying spare D2. That is exactly, what I did. And the same with Maschine Jam.

• Mutis

You should check thesr again almost if you want stems. Djay Player is far superior to Traktor nowadays and supports Rane hardware like One or DVS (also DjPlayer since years ago) or video.

Not “hell ya look at me” anymore if that was the case anytime. These are powerful tools since long ago now even more with usb-c or M1 chips.

OTOH Traktor is lacking in all fronts and D2 replacement is a quimera, sadly.

Maybe not your workflow but that’s another history…

• Oxy
    Oxy Member Posts: 88 Helper

Where is all the gear?

We're all wondering the same thing here.

• Kubrak

My guess is, new HW will come this year. If not, most probably no new HW anymore. ;-)

• LostInFoundation

It’s not about workflow.

I use my iPads daily to make music (probably even more than my PC)

I used Djay Pro many times paired with a Pioneer DDJ WeGo (or also DJPlayer) to put music at parties at my friends homes.

I would NEVER use my iPads to DJ at professional gigs (or better…I used them…but only with DubSiren DX to have some Sound System style horns and “Wheela selecta” things)

But maybe you are braver than me 😉

• Mutis

I am. I did bar residency when spotify sub was on Djay Pro app. Best and easy work of my whole life using a simple iPad mini 4.

I’m considering Hercules T7 (Rane one is too expensive for my needs) but not sure if class compliant. Another option is pt01-based + Phase setup and the same iPad… but a big iPhone could do the job. The only issue with iPad gig was at sunny day when it got hot and reset itself. Lesson learnt, never more at directly at sun (and considering implement some fans for overheating situations like that)

I will not risk my mac mini if I can do the gig with just an iPhone but these are A>B (weedings) so no need for remix decks, sequencers or video. If so (video, karaoke…) then Vdj is my option not traktor.

Professional is very subjective. For me “paid gigs” are professional and Djay Pro/Vdj fit better the description of professional tool than Traktor. Se for controllers… my vci100 mk2 is more professional than any hw not class compliant…

matter of workflow/needs as I said.

• Kubrak

Class compliant has nothing to do with professional... That is just applecentristic point of view, it could be so....

• Mutis

The moment NI decided to make AS transition a prority the Applecentristic POV is the standard to goal. Let’s hope Apple fully implement in the future DriverKit to a point NI hw could get support but class compliant makes controller works with any platform, the new M1 but also Linux includding which runs inside M+ without messing sw (which in the M+ case isn’t possible anyways.)

• Kubrak

Class compliant is fine, but it is not the feature pro gear must have.

Pro devices like RME audiointerfaces do have its own drivers, the both for Win and Mac. Beside that, it is possible to use them as class compliant, if desired. Class compliant is sort of non-pro bonus, not the main way to use it.

• Mutis

You are talking about past mate.

Future is now. Logic has arrived to iPad.