NKS Light Guide not working with VST3 Plugins

ebber
ebber Member Posts: 11 Member

Is anyone else having problems with Komplete Kontrol in Logic Pro with Apple Silicon and the LEDs?

For example when I load the Free VSL Instrument "Fujara Flute" with has NKS support, in Komplete Kontrol standalone in Rosetta Mode the LEDs show the correct mapping, with the NKS preset deciding to load the VST2 Version of Synchron Player.

However when I open the same NKS patch in Komplete Kontrol within Logic (non Rosetta) the patch loads and is working with the VST3 version of Synchron Player but the LEDs light up all across the keyboard without showing the Keyswitches and Keyrange.

Is that a problem with Komplete Kontrol or on VSLs side?

Is there a workaround to fix it?

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

I'm guessing KK is still expecting the load the VST2 version which is clearly what the NKS mapping was made with, so although apparently the plugin does migrate it's probably too much to expect the LED mappings to as well - I think VSL will need to make a VST3 specific mapping for their products

Answers

• Kymeia
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

I'm guessing KK is still expecting the load the VST2 version which is clearly what the NKS mapping was made with, so although apparently the plugin does migrate it's probably too much to expect the LED mappings to as well - I think VSL will need to make a VST3 specific mapping for their products

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 367 Pro

I would guess the VSL doesn't have the support built in for the light guide. Very few non-NI plugins (other than NI Partners) do from my experience. I don't believe I have any non-NI plugins that support it and I have quite a few.

• Kymeia

Oh no that's not the case - third parties who are 'NKS Partners' can access the light guide via the NKS SDK but they were using the old SDK for NKS which was VST2 based, they need to update their plugins using the new VST3 NKS SDK (which I am not sure is available yet)

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor

I am experiencing similar and other problem with Komplete Kontrol and I have a couple of tickets raised with support. I believe there are significant issues with NKS, key-switch, key guide etc with the latest M1 "compatible" version of KK. This is creating problems for integration with third party NKS compatible libraries as well. Since the new version appeared in early December and its now mid March I feel my patience running thin. I hope NI are really going to get to grips with this as soon as possible. If they haven't got the resources to handle this they should get more in if they wish to be seen as a credible business.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 367 Pro
    edited March 2023

So by your thinking 3 1/2 months is too long to collect, evaluate and prioritize development targets, determine time frames and personnel assignments for the development work, establish the project plan and milestones, accomplish the feature complete development, begin the formal testing cycle, address things found in the testing cycles, stabilize all the features and prepare the drop for distribution. Anything more than 3 1/2 months affects credibility in the industry without you even knowing all the development targets in the development plan. Kinda like the credibility issues you might have with only 34 posts???

• Kymeia
    edited March 2023

Third party stuff is bound to take a while for them to catch up - especially bigger companies with lots of products (why Arturia have only just managed to for example) and anything involving the light guide is going to take longer while they refactor stuff using the VST3 SDK. A lot of that is out of NI's hands

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

One thing to keep in mind is that while NKS is "easy" for developers to update because these are all external files that are basically just preset/patches for KK to load, Lightguide is required to be coded directly into the plugins and so this may be both a pain for the developer to do or time consuming since as I understand, any changes or updates to official NKS stuff has to all be approved and reviwewd by NI which adds another delay in the chain of things. Also, if it IS a 3rd party, that is their responsibility to address not NI so you should be contacting them.

• Keith Cocker
    Keith Cocker Member Posts: 120 Advisor
    edited March 2023
  • ebber
    ebber Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2023

if it's that hard I guess it's a bit a design flaw.

would be nice to have direct option from the user side to "set the lights" for the presets as the light guide is the most important point for me with the Komplete Kontrol Keyboard and that should not be hard, cause the settings for the midi templates allow it already.

that way we wouldn't have to wait for the plugin developers or even could "light guide" our own samples.

and you could optimize your awesome third party NKS presets. 🤯

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert

Well not sure that having to put code into a plugin is a "design flaw" just it adds to the overall complexity to support lightguide.