Mod wheel and velocity?

Robin Hilton
Robin Hilton Member Posts: 3 Member

When building an instrument in Kontakt, is it possible to assign the mod wheel to crossfade between velocities (rather than keys)? If I have, say, three different velocity layers (soft, med, loud) of a violin, can I use the mod wheel to crossfade up and down through those velocity layers? Or is this kind of thing only possible by putting the different samples/dynamics in different groups and use the mod wheel to crossfade between the groups?

Does this require scripting? And if so, does anyone know the script to use?

I hope this makes sense.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 276 Pro
    Answer ✓

Velocity is not a continuous controller but is part of the note-on message, so its value, and the samples triggered, cannot be changed except when a note is played. Crossfading your samples in separate groups as you suggest would be your simplest option. This method is used in Spitfire and other fine libraries.

Alternatives would be to use AET which is brilliant but complicated, and a bit bug-ridden - sadly I think it has been abandoned by NI. I find it can be extremely useful with the right samples. You would have to use an articulation morph which again involves multiple groups.

Or you could use a single bright sampleset and Kontakt's own facilities to modify EQ (2-band), as I do. For strings, EQ accounts for most of the difference between the dynamic layers.

Answers

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

I do beleive you can, but I can't think off the top of my head. But you should read this from the manual ...

25.1. AET Filter

This module constitutes the core of the powerful Authentic Expression Technology (AET) in KONTAKT, which allows you to “morph” continuously between the timbral characteristics of multiple samples. The module is designed to work on the Group level, so it can only be placed in the Group Insert FX chain.

Of course, nothing stops you from assigning other modulation sources than the velocity to the Morph knob; you can just as well use a continuous MIDI controller or aftertouch for this purpose.

• stephen24
    Answer ✓

Velocity is not a continuous controller but is part of the note-on message, so its value, and the samples triggered, cannot be changed except when a note is played. Crossfading your samples in separate groups as you suggest would be your simplest option. This method is used in Spitfire and other fine libraries.

Alternatives would be to use AET which is brilliant but complicated, and a bit bug-ridden - sadly I think it has been abandoned by NI. I find it can be extremely useful with the right samples. You would have to use an articulation morph which again involves multiple groups.

Or you could use a single bright sampleset and Kontakt's own facilities to modify EQ (2-band), as I do. For strings, EQ accounts for most of the difference between the dynamic layers.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

So AET has been removed from Kontakt 7?

edit: nvmnd, I see you said "...I think..." - scanning your post, all my eyes saw was "abandoned by NI"

• Robin Hilton

What a perfect explanation, thank you so much!

• Gee_Flat

Hahaha... not just a musician, but a comedian. ✔️

• stephen24

So AET has been removed from Kontakt 7?

No I just meant that they haven't attempted to correct its bugs (minor irritations only) for many years. Do try it - when used with the right samples it can be amazing.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

I know how to use AET, which is why I recommended it in the first post of this thread. 🙄

• Robin Hilton
    edited March 2023

I was telling my wife earlier how amazing it was - I asked a question, got a wonderful answer from someone (thank you, Stephen24 - and gee_flat) who was kind and helpful, and no one got snarky, found something to be offended by or veered off into the weeds over some sort of perceived slight.

• Gee_Flat

Well, you're lucky. The only woman that will put up with me is my mom; and even she's on the fence. 😊