Maschine for Live Perfomance

StudioProjects
StudioProjects Member Posts: 6 Member

Hi Folks!

I'm using Maschine and a Maschine Mk2 in conjunction with a Kontrol A49 as a live rig. I use Logic as my primary DAW and have programmed 17 tracks for an EDM duo. I will use Maschine to build tracks from now on, I have it working perfectly with Logic X and I'm happy to run said tracks in it and record vocals, guitars and bass in Logic X so we can upload to our YouTube channel and maintain existing workflow.

What I would like to do live is import a WAV of each finished back track into a Maschine project on my show laptop (PC), taking note of the tempo and bar length. I understand that there are variations in computer clock speeds and this is a bit rough, but I'm programming our light show into Maschine (is MIDI CC events) and sending that to our console and it works perfectly. Once I program the entire track in Maschine it becomes really simple.

What I'm struggling with is finding a way to import the backing track into the timeline of Maschine and then create some Groups so I can play live over the top. Obviously loading a 3-5 min song onto a pad as a sample is painful, there must be a simpler way to get it on the timeline - dragging it doesn't work, it has to be done through the file explorer. I'm very much used to linear timelines like Logic and proTools and I'm having issues with Machine's Ableton-like, DJ friendly and non-musical interface. I don't have the money to buy a used MBP as a show laptop and I really like Maschine as a portable production suite.

Any suggestions to how I can get a backing track into Maschine so I can play over it and run my light show from it would be appreciated.

Andy

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Just drop the wav into a Pad and change from Sampler to Audio-Plug. Turn to Song mode and create a Clip, double click the Pad Lanes to activate each one and you pretty much can have a linear timeline similar to a DAW (albeit with many caveats.)

Answers

• D-One
    Answer ✓

Just drop the wav into a Pad and change from Sampler to Audio-Plug. Turn to Song mode and create a Clip, double click the Pad Lanes to activate each one and you pretty much can have a linear timeline similar to a DAW (albeit with many caveats.)

• StudioProjects

Hi D-One

That's very close to what I'm doing, thanks so much for the clarification! I was very close, but missed one of your steps.

Another big thank you for closing the other thread, and the moron who kept suggesting other non Native Instruments alternatives. I was about to tear him a new one.

I'll keep people posted in this thread about my progress

Thanks again.

Andy

• D-One

No prob. If someone annoys you that much, try to just ignore him/her; not worth it.

Cheers!

• StudioProjects

Thanks again, mate

Converting the Playback Engine to Audio was the trick, however you have to be careful that you replace the arbitrary tempo that Maschine assigns with the recorded tempo of the track and it all syncs up perfectly.

I had to laugh when our friend in that last thread started talking about inadequate provisioning...

1. I'm an engineer (network/software).

2. Until recently, I owned a fair sized production company (I still own a commercial studio)

3. I have 37 years experience as an engineer/producer.

So when some twerp starts telling me that I've provisioned the wrong equipment and then starts suggesting equipment from another manufacturer on the manufacturer of my chosen tool's (perfect word in point) support forum, my decorum goes out the window.

But you're right of course, I shouldn't let twats like that bother me...

A 😎

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

These are very painful but there are other kind that ask for opionions and workflows and any suggestion pointing different direction make them insult others.

Thankfully there's report/flag as @D-one pointed!

Cheers!

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

@StudioProjects @Mutis Please be respectful to each other 🙏

And Mutis, stop suggesting folks to use 3rd party hardware when then ask for workflow tips for our products. It's the Native Instruments forum after all 😝

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Ok I will suggest perfect solution for non designed functions at all :smirk:

I also suggested using traktor in the first moment btw… ;)

• StudioProjects

Thanks Matt

It would appear that Mutis' ego is a little bruised. As it happens, he was completely wrong and Maschine is more than up to the task.

It's also profoundly immature and rude to promote other manufacturers products on this website.

A