Traktor + OBS + Blackhole?!?!

wobblz
wobblz Member Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

This just doesn't work. I've watched all the tutorials available and I'm doing the exact same things as the other guys but I just can't get Traktor to stream via OBS. I used Soundflower with Traktor on my previous Intel Mac and it worked. Now on my new M1 with Ventura on it and Blackhole, it doesn't.

Here are my system/Traktor settings. Please, it's been two days since I've been trying to figure this thing out and I've already tried all imaginable permutations of aggregate devices, multi-output devices, and Traktor settings. This is simply ridiculous.

Comments

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2022

I bought this and I've never looked back.

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

If you end up buying this software and hook up your apps, make sure you uncheck the little box in the drop down on each device that says "mute when capturing" so that it doesn't mute the app you're listening to.

Here's a pic of my setup.

And here's a pic of my devices. The great thing is, you'll see that my "Output" is the name of the virtual device I made in Loopback called "Live Audio", but this can be whatever you want, and also when you're actually using the outputs here in System Preferences, you can just set the output to your interface like normal, you don't have to actually choose "Live Audio" (unless you've hooked up the monitors in the above image). There's close to 0 latency with Loopback and it also just stays on all the time and there's virtually no change in audio quality, so when you open OBS, it just records like butter and it captures whatever audio is coming from your audio interface.

You do have to drop a little dough for this app, but holy ****** it's worth it. They also have an app called Audio Hijack that uses the same technology, but it's more for recording audio on your desktop. Hope that helps.

• wobblz

@strigi Didn't want to compromise my Mac's security, since that's a prerequisite for running Loopback. Especially considering it's my work laptop. I guess I'll just wait for my PC to be back online and hook Traktor to it - I remember I didn't have any problems on Windows.

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2023

Compromise your security? You mean, allowing the extension to run on your Mac? I haven't had any security issues ever with this app.

• Kayya
    Kayya Member Posts: 189 Advisor

embarrassing subject. my dear friend, if your job is urgent and important, my suggestion is to use dj programs of other brands. I love this community, but if your job can't be solved, our priority should be to get it done. this is our punishment. If the traktor pro program cannot even allow us to broadcast on its own, this shop should be closed and gone. No one has to deal with craftsmanship like a computer repairman. The same thing happens in every topic. we are trying to deal with the problems ourselves. everyone here loves this community, the conservatism of this community is highlighted on all social media, but the famous German discipline should not be called that. this issue should be resolved. I should be able to broadcast with one click like everyone else.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

I ended up using my built in core audio device instead when I want to record audio. It runs 20ms with M1, not too bad.

Core audio + Blackhole aggregate device seems to be the only way to go.

• wobblz
    edited January 2023

Uh, no. The new OBS version doesn't solve it for me @Mutis - it's working but I don't have the headphones to monitor, it all goes out. If CUE is active it's just making it louder, overlaying the output I suppose. Sigh. I've tried it on both Mac and Windows.

@Stevan Are your headphones working? It's as far as I could get - everything else is alright but I can't use my headphones.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

I will suggest then a diferent device like you point with win laptop… but maybe an smartphone with something like roland go:mixer or similar solution. It should work with some Android phones too…

This should work almost for audio streaming. If you need complex multicam setup then the laptop solution seems the most affordable probably.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,219 Expert
    edited January 2023

If you have the Traktor S4 mk3, you can do what I did: Cable from booth out into line in. 🤷‍♀️

Horrible, but what can you do? Just traktor things.

• wobblz
  • lord-carlos

Nothing inside traktor.

I tell OBS to use the line in. Than play a loud track and adjust the booth volume until I don't redline in OBS anymore. And never touch the booth volume knob again.

If you want to use a microphone as well, you can add it separately inside OBS, again with no traktor routing. You can than add gain, limiter, push-to-talk and compressor to just the mic. Which is quite nice.

• wobblz
    edited February 2023

OBS, it turns out, at least the newest version, has this thing called Application Audio Capture. It works, somehow, some way. I'm running it on my Windows machine, so not sure if it solves the MacOS problems.

The Master knob does nothing to the OBS recording, so it captures the 2 (A/B) channels, I suppose. Headphones also work - they're not a part of the recording. I hope this helps.

I had a crackle, but I had a mismatch between OBS and Traktor for the Sample Rate frequency. I think levelling the two to 44.1 KHz solved it. I'll try recording something more lengthy tomorrow and report back.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

@lord-carlos I tried the RCA approach - didn't work for me. The funny thing is, I obtained that extra RCA cable from my clothes drier. It's X-shaped and broke down a while ago, so it would fall flat on the ground without support - I used that cable to keep it upright. :D I'm amazed it still works, being bent and stretched horrendously for years probably.

• lord-carlos

I will have to try Application Audio Capture. Thanks.

Are you using ASIO or WASAPI?

I used the ASIO plugin for OBS to capture the booth to line-in signal.

• wobblz

Tried both for the booth line-out thing. WASAPI Shared is what works for the App Audio Capture though. I can grab a couple of screenshots later so you guys see exactly what the settings are.