Activate Key Lock according to CURRENT tempo?

I don't generally use Key Lock BUT sometimes I might want to start pushing the tempo up during a set. Depending on the track, this can produce a noticeable and unpleasant pitch change. Say a track is playing at -5% tempo without Key Lock on, is there a way to lock the key to the CURRENT -5% pitch, then begin to raise the tempo as the track continues playing? Or is the only option right now to preemptively enable Key Lock on tracks before they start playing?

If it's not possible, this would be a really natty feature.

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,661 mod
    Answer ✓

You can find the command under Add In.. -- Track Deck -- Keylock On (Preserve Pitch). You will have to map it to a controller button or a keyboard key. If you activate keylock this way, it will preserve the sound of the deck at it's current tempo.

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Answer ✓

You can find the command under Add In.. -- Track Deck -- Keylock On (Preserve Pitch). You will have to map it to a controller button or a keyboard key. If you activate keylock this way, it will preserve the sound of the deck at it's current tempo.

• muthafunka
    muthafunka Member Posts: 23 Helper

Superb! Thank you so much. I had a v quick try on my S4mk3 and also on a generic keyboard but with a track in three deck I could only make it trigger the standard Keylock. Before I loaded a track I did notice the Keylock icon turning a simple blue as opposed to the showing the base key that the standard does. Anyway, I'll have another look tomorrow, great to know it's in there though.

• Sûlherokhh
    edited January 2023

Turning Blue is good. It shows that the key now lies somewhere between one of the twelve discrete step toward the next octave. If you have the tempo at around +5.94% or -5.62% you will hit the next key and it will be displayed instead of the blue field.

Before trigger:

After trigger:

• muthafunka
    muthafunka Member Posts: 23 Helper

Interesting! So are you saying that if it's close enough to a semi-tone step it'll round up/down to that but if it's in the middle it'll go blue? If so I do wish it'd just lock to wherever it actually is ie blue wherever you are when using that command.

• Sûlherokhh

If you are close enough to a multiple of 12th root of 2 (tempo+) or 1 over 12th root of 2 (tempo-), it will show a key, otherwise it will show a blue colour. But you will still recognize that the key has been changed because of the +/- sign inside the box. In the bottom picture that's a -1, going from 2m down a semi-tone by 7 to 7m.