Does anybody have a low latency pitch detector for voice.

Studiowaves
Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

I have an old contact mic that attaches to your throat and thought it would be fun to hum the pitches for synth modules. I don't know anything about FFT, but it might be the way to go. On the other hand, a phase locked loop might be able to follow along. Any ideas on a good approach?

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

I never use it in experiments but in my opinion you need a peak detector.

In some of Dieter Zobels monsters is pitch from audio input. Al, take a look please.

• Paule
    edited October 2022

I found this macro from later time in early Pandora in 2014:

Percussion Oscillator that tracks the frequency of the other sounds.

So it's audio in and use a bit of pitch to create bass notes.

And one from 2015 as green bass instrument

• Studiowaves

Oh cool Paule, Hopefully this will be enough to get started. Just trying to convert pitch to level. I'm kinda thinking of doing a sweep with a narrow band pass filter in my vocal range and using the strongest output of the sweep being held with a peak detector and every time the peak gets stronger it also clocks the signal value driving the sweep into a latch. So the latch will hold different levels for each sweep. Not sure how fast I can sweep it but it might work for slow melodies.

• Paule

Al, in Sumida is a formant filter. Mayhaps you can use something from that but it's a large filter.

BTW, here is the way to Reaktor user library you look for.

• Studiowaves

I have Sumada, It's pretty nice, Not sure what a formant filter actually does, Guess I'll read up on it.

• Studiowaves

I think the easiest method of pitch detection is to filter the harmonics, leaving a smoother sinusoidal pitch. Then calculate the time between intervals. That's basic there, once you have that it pretty much done. You can probable add another filter to average the results to get a more accurate pitch value. Sounds easy enough, guess I'll try it.

• ANDREW221231
    ANDREW221231 Member Posts: 295 Advisor
    edited November 2022

that's exactly what this does, its my frequency tracker inside of a commonly used phase locked loop architecture (as i found out, phased locked loops on their own don't really output a stable usable frequency, but this sure does)

it gets all fancy with analytic signal stuff, but basically it shakes out as something like bandpass filtering the input, with cutoff determined by the frequency detection's output... so what is presented at the frequency counter is essentially sinusoidal and the fundamental... exactly like what you said. actually it works pretty good! to get it doing what you want it'd just need something like a noise/low signal gate and probably pitch quantization

also in this old thread there are some solutions:

probably the one you'll be most interested from that thread is this UL upload, it uses fft for monophonic pitch detection:

How you doin'? Been fixing up the old shed and painting a bit around here while the weather is still nice. This summer has horrible. like 2 months of upper 90s. It was so hot, everyone's grass was thinning out. One guys looked great but he said his water bill was two hundred and sixty dollars. I still remember Rolando freaking out over the heat a while back. Man that was bad, I think his spring is coming up, lets go there. lol

all i know about the weather in south america is you don't want to know about it come march, that's when you get your aquas de marco or seasonal flooding. well, in brazil anyway. the main thing here in PNW over summer is whether or not things dry out enough to get scary which was thankfully averted this year, by way of being predictably mild. haha

Check out this sound Andrew. Ya, it's me, messing around with sounds, I just like the overall sound. Let me know what you think about it. Talk later

i like it... sets a vibe, and the tones are pristine. what kinda guitar is used?

• Studiowaves
    edited November 2022

Thanks man, I'll have to try this pitch detector. The logic seems right. No clue as what the sine and cosine do but I guess it works. Can you upload this, I think the UL is having problems, might be the weather though, high winds here, I can't sign in. Also that's a Fender Stratocaster played thru a home made tube amp. I made a tube amp with real tubes and a speaker simulator my friend designed with coils , capacitors and resistors. Turned out ok, all in all. It's also compressed which gives it more sustain. Pretty amazing compared to the dry output of the guitar. You have to pick Strats real easy to get that slick sound. That's all finger picked, people think I'm weird cause I have long finger nails on one hand. It's hilarious when they notice it, With the expression on their faces, I don't think they know what to think. lol

• ANDREW221231
    edited November 2022

you know i wanted to say stratocaster but i couldn't risk being wrong and feeling dumb lol. because it is my strong opinion that there is no better sounding electric guitar. what would it's competition be, les paul? impossible, it has no single coil pickups!!

No clue as what the sine and cosine do but I guess it works

basically if you AM a sine/cosine you can reconstruct an arbitrary band of signal like a single bin of an FFT. so basically just doing what a bandpass filter would be doing but this way adds style points in a way i find pleasing

anyway, just fired up this bad boy before sending it off, and yeah, the thing is dang solid. might even get cocky and say its probably better than most monophonic solutions i've seen... like most of em are subject to octave errors but with this one if its locked onto a note you can play another note like a minor third away and it won't even budge!!

the only thing to note is that cutoff needs adjusting depending on the input's pitch range is low or high, so if its bugging out: for low range lower the cutoff, for higher registers raise it a bit.

• Studiowaves
    edited November 2022

Ok, I'll give it a go and hopefully I'll have some fun for a change. Yah, Strats are really a thing of beauty. I think Fender made the guitar as a comfortable solid body and the sound of the front pickup really too off. I was blown away when I heard Hendrix play it clean on Electric Ladyland. What a great album. Tried it out and it actually works pretty good. I'll see if I can get it going , it's just a matter of matching the levels to midi levels. Kinda nice not having to make something for a change and just have some fun. COOL...

• Studiowaves

Paule, can you please turn on your notifications to me. I don't receive any notifications that you have responded so I miss a lot. Thanks.

• ANDREW221231

you click here on notification options

and then find the option something like "notify me when other comment on a post I've interacted with" (pretty far down the list) and then click the box on the right

• ANDREW221231

glad to know it works for your purposes. you're using it on voice?

• Studiowaves

Ya, trying to hum into the mic, it seems to work up to a certain note then goes crazy, but I think it's back ground noise doing it. I have an old contact mike that sticks on your throat but can't find it. I think it was once used in airplanes. I can't sing because I have asthma and cough a lot. But humming isn't so bad. Haven't played with it much lately though, still painting the house windows while it's warm. I did notice it doesn't work on different sample rates, it might be something else doing it on my end. But yah, it does follow pretty fast and doesn't jump octaves.

• ANDREW221231

Ya, trying to hum into the mic, it seems to work up to a certain note then goes crazy, but I think it's back ground noise doing it

yeah, that's actually a limitation of the method afaict, thankfully its down to bandwidth of the filter not background noise

so you can just set the cutoff a bit higher and you should be good to go