How to connect my speakers

CicoE
CicoE Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hello,

I want to buy the Kontrol S4 MK3 and have a question about connecting different active speakers at home.

I have 3 active speakers that I currently use via an adapter on the laptop to bring a little sound in at home.

This works well so far and is sufficient.

Since there is MAIN, BOOTH and XLR on the Kontrol S4 MK3, I have the idea to connect one speaker L via BOOTH L, one speaker R via BOOTH R (both as mono) and one speaker (centered in the room) via MAIN as stereo.

Will this work?

Thanks for reply.

Best Answer

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 296 Pro
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

there are probably several ways to at least get close to your desired option. Unfortunately, the s4mk3 does not have a mono function on the hardware side, but you can switch to mono yourself in traktor if you only mix internally and do not need the s4mk3 for external sources as well. this works for both outputs- booth and main out. simply tick the mono box in the settings. see picture below.

otherwise you can use a line splitter to remedy the situation, e.g. this one:

https://www.thomannmusic.ch/palmer_prmls_linesplitter.htm

they are also available in smaller and/or cheaper versions. google will surely help.

otherwise you can certainly do some tinkering with adapter cables. So stereo xlr to mono jack or cinch or whatever inputs you have on your speakers.

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    edited October 2022

Hello,

this should work, but both will be in stereo. But with most, almost all tracks I would say, that's no problem. The booth out is just parallel to main out only with its own volume pot.

• Owner
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

there are probably several ways to at least get close to your desired option. Unfortunately, the s4mk3 does not have a mono function on the hardware side, but you can switch to mono yourself in traktor if you only mix internally and do not need the s4mk3 for external sources as well. this works for both outputs- booth and main out. simply tick the mono box in the settings. see picture below.

otherwise you can use a line splitter to remedy the situation, e.g. this one:

https://www.thomannmusic.ch/palmer_prmls_linesplitter.htm

they are also available in smaller and/or cheaper versions. google will surely help.

otherwise you can certainly do some tinkering with adapter cables. So stereo xlr to mono jack or cinch or whatever inputs you have on your speakers.

• Uwe303

But then all is mono, cause as far as I know booth out is just the master out, with an extra volume. But that might be a solution anyway, just a question what is more important for the op, to have 2 speakers in mono or the other in stereo. I would just go straight out and connect both in stereo. Or as you said use an external stereo to mono aiming device, but i don't know if that exists, you can't just bridge it passive.

• Uwe303

Ohh I found one device - monacor smc-1, that should do the trick as @Owner mentioned

• Owner

nice, good catch @Uwe303 i should buy it to and give it a test drive!

• Owner

oh, so you mean the booth out is always looped after the master? So even if I leave it on stereo?

I didn't know that, thought that I could switch the outputs separately to mono and/or stereo. I'll have to be careful the next time I play with only one monitoring speaker and two master out speakers.

• Uwe303
    edited October 2022

I will check that again, so then i can give you a definitive answer to that.

• Owner

I've just tried it now* and you're right. as soon as I set the master out to mono, the booth out is also the case. there then also only mono comes out. now, I have something new to add to my feature wishlist :)

*Track ID = Jimmy Cliff - Vietnam

• Uwe303

Ok then you will need that stereo to mono converter, or just use it as it is. But i guess you have a good reason for the 2 speakers to output a mono sum.

• CicoE

Hello and thanks for reply.

If I use Booth, then I set the channel then just to mono, Main can then, I think, stereo remain.

My logic behind this is that I use Booth as a separate output and my two monitor speakers are also both separate connected. So I have then a mono left and a mono right.

The main comes then hopefully stereo, if not, I can live with it. :)

Since I currently have to work with the Traktor DJ cable on the Mac to pre-listen, there is also mono set by me. Just only at the master output.

Are more settings available on the software side when connecting the controller?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,005 Guru

I'm totally confused by this request. It seems completely backwards.

Mono from a pair of speakers and stereo from one speaker? You can't have stereo from a single speaker.

It would be helpful if you provided the make and model of each of these speakers.

• CicoE

Hi,

I'm using two small active speakers and one larger active speaker, each with jack 3.5mm stereo on the input.

At the moment, new monitor speakers just aren't in it financially.

Since I'm currently using a Traktor DJ cable to split the output signal from the MBP, I need to set it to mono there so that one signal (let's say left) is for the speaker(s) and the other (right in that case) is for auditioning.

To do this, I used an adapter to couple these three speakers to this mono output signal.

This is too much cable clutter for me in the long run.

Placement of the two smaller speakers one L and one R and the larger one centrally. My 'practice room' is about 25 square meters.

I have assumed so far that I then, if I address the two smaller speakers, I must split this output signal at the Booth then again.

Or do the left and right output Booth on the controller each work stereo?

Then my question would have been settled.

• Uwe303

booth output on s4 mk3 is parallel to the main out, it only has an extra volume control on the hardware. If you set master out to mono, then booth is mono too.

• CicoE

Hello,

i've now solved my question.

I'll take some Y adapters to connect my preferred setup to my speakers.

Main:

XLR female to two times XLR male.

Then two times XLR female to RCA male L+R.

This way I have split the signal and can drive two larger active speakers.

BOOTH:

Jack 6.3 male TS to double Jack 6.3 female TS.

Then two times jack 6.3 male TS to jack 3.5 TSR.

Here then the same result as with 'Main' with my small, active monitor speakers.

So I can use the speakers for home sufficiently, as needed.

For just for fun only 'BOOTH' and for a small party 'Main' simply in addition, finished.

So no short circuit can arise, I think.