Absynth is dead

Comments

• Philippe
    Philippe Member Posts: 56 Helper

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/fr/articles/360014683497-Actualités-sur-la-compatibilité-Apple-Silicon-M1-

Link above shows no compatibility for Absynth with M1/M2, even with Rosetta 2. So it seems it’s impossible to use it on a new Mac. Or did I miss something ?

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 356 Pro
    edited September 2022

No, I'm telling you the obvious: That you still own it, you can still install it, you can still activate it, you can still use it. I don't know why you keep discussing about things you can't possible know. Neither can anyone else here, or NI at this point.

You're completely dramatizing the situation.

• andalassamXX
    andalassamXX Member Posts: 53 Helper

Please don't reply me again. I don't want to talk to you anymore

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@chk071

At the very least, it's unrealistic to assume that you can use a software 30 or 40 years long. OS's change, hardware changes.

Well, SW that I develop runs 25+ years and will run at least 10+ years more for sure. I have improved/updated it during that time, but one may take 25+ years old installation files and install it on current PC and it runs just fine.

People run SW from early eighties for first personal computers like ZX Spectrum on emulators. So, 40+ years old SW that is even run on quite different platform.

The request to be able to run bought SW as long I desire is understandable. I understand that companies protect their SW against piracy, on the other side, there is the law and the rights of their customers.

I hope NI has learned from last wave of EOL SW and this time finds way how to let their customers use SW as long as they desire. Of course on HW and OS versions it has been developed for. And that there will not be such problem again.

• andalassamXX

I have always stressed that I know that this plug-in can be activated within two years. I am not worried about this problem at all. I also know that no one can guess the future situation, so there is no need to remind me again.

This is repetitive and meaningless.

I hope the company will not use this as an excuse to shirk its responsibilities.

Please don't say "impossible", but try your best to do it.

I believe no one wants to hear this: "sorry, we can't do it. Please choose other alternatives."

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@chk071

No, I'm telling you the obvious: That you still own it, you can still install it, you can still activate it, you can still use it. I don't know why you keep discussing about things you can't possible know. Neither can anyone else here, or NI at this point.

You're completely dramatizing the situation.

Well, I guess you miss the point. @andalassamXX already has licences of NI SW that he cannot use because it is EOL and NI does not provide means to do authentization of it....

His fear that what has happened two years ago to part of EOL SW, might happen in say 10 years to Absynth. That is IMHO pretty valid fear... 10 years passes pretty fast...

• chk071

I can't say that I'm surprised about such an infantile reaction.

• chk071
    edited September 2022

I don't say that it's invalid. I just wonder why this kind of fear is expressed at a point where it's not appropriate. Especially when it's pretty unlikely that NI will scratch their current activation metho again, making it necessary to update ALL of their product catalog to work with the new activation method.

But, yeah, software doesn't work infinitely. News flash.

Also, which has been totally ignored is that NI even offer free products for those who can't activate Pro-53 anymore (they even did in this thread).

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

I guess that's it for dreaming about having Absynth on the Maschine+ ... 😢

• Gibson845
    Gibson845 Member Posts: 39 Member

just ignore such people, they act like it is their company/image and dont understand the difference between Activation and Update Support.

• andalassamXX

I found that in addition to absynth 5, Evolve series (movie soundtrack area) were also kicked out of K14, and their fate may be the same as absynth 5.

If we default to this situation, more and more similar results will occur in the future.

• sijarvis
    sijarvis Member Posts: 8 Member

I'd like to see NI giving it over to the open source community. I personally think they could have taken it much further than it ever progressed.

Brian Clevinger is going to miss out on some royalty cheques now!

• inmazevo
    inmazevo Member Posts: 25 Helper
    edited September 2022

Just like statistically it's a 100% certainty that an extinction-level astroid/comet strike will eventually happen (over cosmic time), it's also 100% certainty that all NIs stuff will eventually fail to activate. And Macs will no longer exist that can run it (sooner than later on that one... I already have one of each). And Windows will make another 'breaking change' as well.

Absynth will absolutely not be able to be activated at some point.

Personally, I've started regarding software AS hardware, in a bundle that's tied to my machine, and dying when it dies. Getting past that is a bonus, and it usually works out, but right now I have half-a-dozen plugins that are never going to run on the M1 natively, including Absynth, all of the iZotope instruments, A.I.R. instruments ('legacy'), Novation plugs, and others. Nothing I can do about it, but I did specifically upgrade the desktop to an Intel machine because I knew this was coming.

Get a machine that runs it; activate it; back up that system and make a backup of that, and make music. It's guaranteed that along spans of time, you'll have to drop some plugins for one reason or another.

I do agree that providing a storable key after an authorized activation would be a good thing for discontinued software. Novation V-station on my machine recently asked me to reactivate, despite being activated... I did so, and it downloaded an activation file that worked even on a different OS install. Bass Station was the same.

Both have been discontinued, and I found it to be a happy middle ground, and would expect that at some time in the future the activation servers will go away. But I have the file and my standard double-backup, and as long as I don't lose it for some reason I'm 'probably' good.

I'm also happy that, and this is just a prop to NI for having some class/dignity, NI pulled the sale of the product. This is in stark contrast to others who still continue to sell software that's clearly end-of-life, as if it's GOING to be supported in the future, which it's likely not to be, IMHO: iZotope and A.I.R. come to mine where certain instruments are concerned (well, all of the iZotope instruments, and even Trash 2, which is stellar for what it does).