Kontakt key mapping not affecting light guide. What am I missing?

IvoryKeys88
IvoryKeys88 Member Posts: 26 Member
edited August 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi there ...

I am just starting out with a new S88 Mk2.

I've noticed that Kontakt (for example) has no impact on the the light guide. If I load an instrument that has key mapping none of this feeds through to the keyboard.

Is there something I need to turn on to make the software talk to the light guide?

UPDATE: After further testing, I suspect the issue is broader than what I've outlined above.

I've realised the PLUG-IN mode on the KK S88 has ceased working too. A day or two ago, when loading an instrument in Kontakt (in my DAW for example) I could navigate my NI library on the S88 screens, as expected. Now it seems I can only ever use the S88 in Midi mode.

Also, the MIDI control assignments seem to not be occurring. What's more, it seems at times (on certain instruments) the keyboard keys are changing instrument settings that I would otherwise expect to be changed via the other MIDI controllers (not the 88 keys).

Something seems to have spat the dummy.

Any suggestions on how to revert or reset this system back to how it should be?

Cheers ...

Jonathan

Thanks,

Jonathan

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,319 mod
    Answer ✓

The same would apply to Maschine, Reaktor, etc. Basically everything N.I. related I should load into my DAW via instances of KK. Correct?

Yes, exactly.

Am I correct in thinking that third-party NKS instruments don't have S88 integration (guide lights, auto mapping of CC midi controls, etc.)

Well, NKS means they DO have the integration, that's the whole point of NKS.

Answers

• IvoryKeys88

Actually, I suspect the issue is broader than what I've outlined above.

I've realised the PLUG-IN mode on the KK S88 has ceased working too. A day or two ago, when loading an instrument in Kontakt (in my DAW for example) I could navigate my NI library on the S88 screens.

Also, the MIDI control assignments seem to not be occurring. What's more, it seems at times (on certain instruments) the keyboard keys are changing instrument settings that I would otherwise expect to be changed via the other MIDI controllers (not the 88 keys).

Something seems to have spat the dummy.

Any suggestions on how to revert or reset this system back to how it should be?

Cheers ...

Jonathan

• IvoryKeys88
    edited August 2022

It seems I've got it (Light guide, and Plug-in and Browser, etc.) working in Komplete Kontrol. But not in Kontakt.

Is that the only way in which the light guide and the other above-mentioned aspects of the keyboard work as intended? Does that mean I should always be using Komplete Kontrol for instruments in my DAW (Logic Pro) and not Kontakt? (assuming I want automated CC assignments, the light guide, etc.)

Because Kontakt has a virtual keyboard with the light guide and key assignments displayed, I assumed that this data would transpose through to the physical keyboard. Is that not right?

• Jeremy_NI

@ivoryhoward Yes, all these features come with the Komplete Kontrol software which centralises all your NI products and gives you control over them from the Komplete Kontrol keyboards.

• IvoryKeys88
    edited August 2022

@Jeremy_NI Thanks for clarifying that. After right my post, I did a lot more playing around (literally and figuratively), and pretty much came to the conclusion you've posted.

So, what I am understanding is this: If I want full guide light and other S88 integration, I should always add instruments to my DAW by adding Komplete Kontrol as the instrument, and then selecting the Kontakt instrument from within KK. The same would apply to Maschine, Reaktor, etc. Basically everything N.I. related I should load into my DAW via instances of KK. Correct?

Am I correct in thinking that third-party NKS instruments don't have S88 integration (guide lights, auto mapping of CC midi controls, etc.) so I can go ahead and load those via Kontakt, if I wish?

Thank you....

Jonathan

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

The same would apply to Maschine, Reaktor, etc. Basically everything N.I. related I should load into my DAW via instances of KK. Correct?

Yes, exactly.

Am I correct in thinking that third-party NKS instruments don't have S88 integration (guide lights, auto mapping of CC midi controls, etc.)

Well, NKS means they DO have the integration, that's the whole point of NKS.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro

And just in case you aren't aware you can change KK default view to "Edit View" once you load an instrument. Using Kontakt by this route gives you all the features like light guide and integration, etc.

Cheers.

• IvoryKeys88

Thanks @MyStudioOne . Uncanny timing! I literally came back to this discussion just now to ask for further clarification on how to get the keyboard to display in KK, in the same way that it does in Kontakt. And I then saw your reply from earlier today telling me exactly how to do that! Nice one! Thank you.

• IvoryKeys88

One more thing I'm trying to figure out, which perhaps one of you can help with with ...

In Kontakt (whether on its own, or loaded through KK) ... When I load a second instrument (below the first on the main right side panel), only the first instrument (top most one, loaded first) works. That, I assume is to be expected. However, when I then I close the first instrument (in order to actually use the more recently loaded instrument), it doesn't work? As in, the midi controller isn't feeding through to it. I have to close it, and load it again. I would have expected it to simply work as soon as it becomes the only instrument in the "stack".

I suspect it's got something to do with the Midi input channels that are assigned when instruments are added, but I see nowhere to select the Midi channel that's assigned to an instrument in KK.

Any thoughts?

Basically, if it's possible, I'd like to know how to get the instrument loaded after the first to work without having to close the first, AND then close the second, and reload the second.

• Jeremy_NI

When creating a multi, Kontakt loads the 1st instrument on MIDI channel 1, the second on MIDI channel 2 and so on. Komplete Kontrol was not intended for the use of multis. We would recommend to either use several Komplete Kontrol tracks or use a multi in Kontakt.

• IvoryKeys88

Thanks @Jeremy_NI.

Since writing my previous message, I've figured out that some instruments have the MIDI ch selector readily accessible ...

Whereas many do not.

To clarify ... I wasn't intentionally trying to create a multi. Although I will get into that soon enough. It was more that I keep inadvertently opening a second instrument in KK before closing the first. I'm currently just exploring all the different instruments, etc., and hence working my way through them one by one.

So I gather there's no way to change the MIDI assignment if its graphical interface hasn't included a MIDI channel indicator / selector? Correct?

• Jeremy_NI

If you click on the i, you will display the MIDI channel, the little camera then is to go back to presets:

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro

And in case you haven't already tried it, if you load a 2nd instrument and choose omni on the midi selectors, the patch is applied to all 16 midi channels, thereby playing any loaded patches simultaneously. Then you save it as a "multi" if you want to keep it.

• IvoryKeys88

Thank you @Jeremy_NI and @MyStudioOne. Much appreciated.