How to recover my favorites.db3 (favorites for Komplete Kontrol) on a external hard drive?

Stan C
Stan C Member Posts: 3 Member

Our Mac got stolen, so we had to get a new one. 2022 MacBook Pro M1 Pro, thank goodness we had a backup of our tracks and all, we're running Ableton so we have our sessions but not everything was audio, so to restore the midi we have to remember what patches we used, and it would help so much if we could have the favorites so we don't have to go through 17,000 sounds.

For the life of me I cannot seem to find the User Library to transfer the favorites.db3 file, I've tried Terminal commands and all, the drive I have (Western Digital My Book 4TB) isn't bootable I don't believe not without formatting at least. If anyone can offer some help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    Answer ✓

If you did a full back up of the computer, then it should include the system files, like the applications, etc...you should be able to get these files. If by back up you mean you saved the Ableton projects on an external hard drive, then the favorites file is still on your stolen computer. Unfortunately in this case, there is no way to retrieve your old favorites. I'm truely sorry for you, having your laptop stolen is one thing, loosing work is another level.

The Ableton projects should load the saved sounds, what happens exactly on these tracks where you can't find the sound anymore ? Do you get an empty plug-in ? What plug-in was used ? Was your previous laptop a M1 too? Are you running Ableton in Rosetta mode on the new one?

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    edited August 2022

Did you have a backup for all the computer? These files are not stored on the external drive where you installed your content but on the system's drive. Here is where the favorites are stored: Macintosh HD/ Users/ <YOUR USER NAME>/ *Library/ Application Support/ Native Instruments/ Shared/ <"favorites.db3"

• Stan C
    Stan C Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2022

We did full backups of the computer, if that means the system files I'm not entirely sure, I was afraid that was the case... So is it just a no go, and we have to somehow remember all the patches we used for our tracks... or is there possibly another way to go... Like a user library or something?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

If you did a full back up of the computer, then it should include the system files, like the applications, etc...you should be able to get these files. If by back up you mean you saved the Ableton projects on an external hard drive, then the favorites file is still on your stolen computer. Unfortunately in this case, there is no way to retrieve your old favorites. I'm truely sorry for you, having your laptop stolen is one thing, loosing work is another level.

The Ableton projects should load the saved sounds, what happens exactly on these tracks where you can't find the sound anymore ? Do you get an empty plug-in ? What plug-in was used ? Was your previous laptop a M1 too? Are you running Ableton in Rosetta mode on the new one?