Installation of Komplete 13 and disk space

ChristofR
ChristofR Member Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2022 in Native Access

I purchased Komplete 13 and am trying to install the sound packs. There's a message saying I should free up disk space when I click on 'install all'.

Apparently, the solution to this problem is installing the sound packs indivdually. I can install the small ones (500Mb or less) but not the others. I keep getting the same message that I should free up disk space.

For example : I'm trying to install Abbey Road 60s drummer, 6,31Gb in size and it says I don't have enough disk space. Free space on my internal SSD is 168Gb.

Anyone ?

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @ChristofR if you're using Mac, this might have to do with purgeable space. Native Access requires more space than what's indicated during the installation process. Can you follow the steps in this article and double check if you have enough space?

Native Access Error Message: "Installation has been prevented. You do not have enough free drive space to install the products."

• ChristofR

Hi, the Finder in my Mac says I have 170Gb free ; however, Disk Utility only states 15Gb free. That 155Gb is purgeable space but after searching the web a bit, there's not really a straightforward way to free it up.

It involves deactivating Time Machine and iCloud backups, which might wreak havoc on my system.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited June 2022

I am on Win, but some things would be the same.

NA needs double the size of plugin/content, I guess. So, one has to free some space to be able to install the biggest pieces, and then the smaller and smaller. At the end copy things that were removed to free the disc, back.

But you have only 15GB free to be used, so you probably need to free pretty much space on disc. Or install content (or part of it) on external disc....

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited June 2022

You should go through the content and see if there are things you don't "need" that you can avoid installing. There are a lot of Pianos, Session and Scarbee series instruments, and some Orchestral stuff that have pretty substantial disk requirements.

Honestly, just skipping Abbey Road 50s/60s/70s/Vintage drummer is likely to save you about 30GBs of space. Emotive Strings is like 20GBs on its own. Etc.

Expansions also cost over 1 GB each, on average.

If you're not going to use some of that stuff, then don't waste space that can be put to better use on it.

Komplete 13 has a ~220GB Content Directory if you install everything in the bundle, so it will error out if you click "Install All."

Native Access 1 downloads everything ahead of time, concurrent with installation. This is less of an issue in Native Access 2, which downloads and installs in a serial fashion (next thing doesn't start downloading until current thing is finished installing - and it deletes the downloaded file before starting the next download).

With v1, it will download everything ahead of time even while things are installing in the foreground, which can create a situation where the downloads have used up all of the available space on the drive you are trying to install to.

But with 168GB remaining, you may not even have enough to install the full bundle on that drive. You really don't want to fill up your system SSD. I recommend upgrading to 1TB SSD (if possible) if you're going to be getting Komplete or Komplete Ultimate and want to install everything internal to the laptop (without having to dongle an external SSD). For Komplete 13 Ultimate C.E., you want a 2TB internal SSD, as it has an ~820GB Content Directory.

Komplete 13 Ultimate has ~550GB Content Directory.

• Kubrak

Native Access 1 downloads everything ahead of time, concurrent with installation. 

NA downloads ahead, but just the next one to install, not many or even all (at the same time). So, it is not big problem. Also, one may set download folder to external disc. And in that case downloading ahead should not be a problem at all.

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited June 2022

I'm quite sure Native Access 1 will download multiple things ahead of time, not just the next item on the list. It doesn't download in parallel, but some things take much longer to install than others (and it starts the next download upon starting an installer - not after the install completes like NA2). There are a lot of small, discrete files in these libraries and expansion packs, so while the package is being installed it is already downloading the next file in queue. If that file is smaller (Expansion Pack ISO), then it will start the next item in the queue.

If you're installing the content to an external SSD, then NA has to copy everything from the download disk to the Content Drive, which slows things down and allows it to pool more content ahead of time.

It can accumulate lots of data on the download drive, as a result.

In the time it takes NA1 to install the "Previews", it can download an additional 4-5 Expansion Packs in the background on my internet connection.

I know this is true, because I have literally watched the download directory while it was installing Komplete 13 on a machine.

For this reason, I've always queued downloads in Native Access 1 in order of ASCENDING DOWNLOAD SIZE.

That way, by the time it gets to the larger downloads, it has little opportunity to pool inordinate amounts of data in that folder; which can be problematic on space-constrained systems.

And, for the record, this is fairly common with many companies' downloaders (Steinberg, IKM, UVI, Arturia, etc.).

• Kubrak

If one does not have much space available the only possibility is to download in descending order. The biggest first, the smaller last. One has to do it one by one. Al least for big ones...

If one has 35 GB empty space and needs install 15, 8, 5, 2, 1, 1, 1 GB files it is not possible if one starts from small ones...

Concerning NA1 and predownload. It downloads just one ahead, even if files are small and there is plenty of space on the disc. At least on my system (Win). I noticed it as I would prefer if NA downloaded more files ahead....

• ChristofR
    edited June 2022

Solved it. Apparently, Time Machine saves local images of every backup it makes to my external drive, and that amounted to over 100Gb.

Removed the images and it worked.

Thanks for all the feedback !