Using the mouse area and the multidisplay port to control different parameters on Reaktor

Riann
Riann Member Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2022 in Building With Reaktor

Hi! I write here because i would like to use the mouse area and the multidisplay port to control different parameters. I explain it better... the Reaktor primary manual explains how to build a sequencer and an additive synth with this two modules to control respectively the steps and the partials.. i want to use the X array to select a parameter in a list or to define to which parameter will be modified by the Y array. I want to do this in order to use the multidisplay ports objects to control different parameters.

I hope some one can help me

Comments

• gentleclockdivider
    gentleclockdivider Member Posts: 107 Helper

Check my ensembles 'modal bank 32 'in the user library or clonetonic , or chebby shaper which also uses the mouse area to control partials

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/7735/

If you want the mouse area to sweep through partials (while holding the mouse down ) there is a lot of work and it is pretty difficult , this is not beginners level .

This is where reaktor falls short , in contrast to max msp where you have build in multisliders that are mouse sweep ready , in reaktor you have to build these from scratch .

• Riann

okai i understood that i can use the mouse area to control partials, but this happens because the sinebank has an index menu.. what if i want to control other stuff like different parameters of the ensambles, i thought i explained my self but maybe i wasn't clear... as the single object in the mouse area controls the volume of a single partial, should be possible with each object, which normally controls a single partial, to control a different things on from each other.. i hope i explained my self better

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

Mouse area is X/Y, for partials the obvious mapping is X=partial ID, Y=partial amplitude.

It's possible to map out the X/Y plane for more parameters, e.g. one per corner, but then you limit possible combinations, so in the context of modal synthesis, that doesn't make so much sense.

Are you asking how to set up a separate mouse area to control other parameters?

In that case, you just need to map the X and Y coordinates to the ranges of those particular parameters. Just simple scale and offset arithmetic should do the trick. or adding curves isn't much harder.

Please try to explain more clearly exactly what you are trying to do - specifically

• Riann

In specific i want to use the mouse area and the multidisplay to generate triggers every X arrays steps and send them to different destinations selected by the Y array.

• colB
    edited June 2022

Still unclear!

That's the problem with programming, everything needs to be explicitly defined, so when someone is stuck, it's hard to help unless they are very specific about exactly what they want to happen. You obviously have some mental picture of how you want things to happen, but we don't get to see that, only the words you write.

Do you mean that the user would click on the x/y pane, and the Y position would set a destination (whatever that means), and the X position would set a clock divider for triggers?

• Riann

Sorry for my bad explainations..anyway you got it...i meant exactly what you sed here.. with the Y array choose the destination and with the X array set the clock divider. I left for another thread the question about the possibility to change the lenght of the X steps individually.. i mean if i have 6 x arrays steps i would like to change the duration let's say the second one and make it double respect the others.

• colB
    edited June 2022

OK, so you need a value module for X and Y, and use the mouse button output as the trigger for the value module. Then you have an x value and a y value each time the mouse is clicked.

Then you just map the range to whatever parameter you want to set using multiplication and addition...

Something like this should get you started:

The merge from BL and Db is so that double clicks just register as single clicks, otherwise if you click fast, you lose clicks.

The separator is so that releasing the mouse button doesn't cause a trigger.

The four modules x, y, x btn, y btn are all numeric displays

• Riann
    edited June 2022

Thanks colB! I think with your structure i will get a trig from X each time i click with the mouse and a value from Y to control parameters. This is something but it miss the most difficult part of what i want to do. I try to generalize my question to let you understand: if i have a series of trigs, how can i send each of them to different destinations? Imagine a sequencer that generates different values every gate of the clock, what if a want to use the value generated from the sequencer to send his same clock to different destinations?

• colB

That's a separate problem that has nothing to do with mouse area. Maybe that's the reason for the confusion earlier in the thread?

So it's a case of start again explaining in detail exactly how this is suppose to function ;)

e.g. how you might route a sequence of trigs depends on the context, the source of the trigs, if they hold different values or not, a whole bunch of details are missing. How are they generated, how will the destinations use them, and what for. Will different destinations use them in different way. How will the routing be defined - user input, hard coded, automatic based on other parameters...

You need to think about the details. Then maybe you will solve it yourself ;)

• Riann

Okai so for sure the source of the trigs it's a clock, so the trigs hold the same value. Let's say that I want to send them to trigger envelopes, and the routing is difined by the value of the steps of a sequencer. My point is that i do not know how to send a series of events to different destination. Is there a module which allows me to send an incoming signal to different destinations when a certain value is sent? I am sorry.. maybe i should give up and don't bother you here with my beginner questions 😔

• colB
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

Router 1->M (one to many)

sends the input to a selected output depending on the value at the pos input.

page 276 of the 'Building in Primary' manual

https://www.native-instruments.com/fileadmin/ni_media/downloads/manuals/REAKTOR_6_Building_in_Primary_English_0419.pdf

• Riann
    edited June 2022

Yes exactly, so using the router i should be able to send the trigs to different envelopes right? I will try to put all this things in this conversation together. Thanks

• Riann

Okai here is the result of this conversation: a clocked sequencer sends values to a router which sends the trigs form the clock to different destinations (in this case envelopes). Thanks :)