How to create custom MIDI Templates with Kontrol S MK3

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,605 mod
    edited August 29

I don't think there is an upper limit, theoretically I guess there is only a certain amount of system memory but they are only tiny text files so it should be able to hold a lot. I've already got dozen or so.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,274 mod

The internal storage could fit hundreds of thousands. We have an arbitrary limit but I doubt any user will ever hit this. Effectively unlimited.

• TapTapDoubleTap
    TapTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 14 Member

Ah! Yes now I see a bit better why this is so powerful - great stuff thanks!

• DJX
    DJX Member Posts: 4 Member

Is there a way to link controls across multiple channels? For example, I've created a MIDI template with 2 key zones, one sends on channel one, and the second on channel two. I would like to have the modwheel, strip and pedal send data on both channels one and two. Is it possible?

• DigitalAudioDaily
    DigitalAudioDaily Member Posts: 9 Member

I previously got rid of a S61 Mk3 because this wasn't available yet. Now that it is im looking to pick up a S49 Mk3.

I have a couple elektron boxes that allow for individual track as well as auto channel availability for manipulating tracks. Is the an easy way to change the midi channel for templates? For example, creating a template for the syntakt that would allow the template to be easily switched to each of the tracks. This is key to the controller being extremely useful for folks like myself who would like to incorporate the S Mk3 into our workflows.

I see there are pages which would allow a single template to incorporate all available midi parameters be available from the controller but without an easy way to switch the track(no option to select track using midi on elektron boxes) it would make it cumbersome.

With the auto channel selected, the active track selected on the elektron boxes is what is targeted by the midi controls of an external controller. Easily changing midi channels to select 1-12 if using with Syntakt or 1-16 on a Digitakt2 is critical.

I am perplexed as to why Elektron doesn't have a way to change tracks from a midi controller. Without this a Digitakt takes every available midi channel just for the tracks. If they provided a way to change tracks using a midi controller this would allow the ability to utilize the auto channel and simply move through the tracks.

I loved the S61 and didn't want to get rid of it but at the time it just wasn't something that was usable, the game has changed. Thanks for all the hard work.

cc: @Matthew_NI

• Matthew_NI

The only way to change MIDI Templates on the device is to manually switch from one template to the next. Which is quite easy to do, but not as automated as you'd perhaps like?

• Matthew_NI

I have updated the original post, with two edits, ahead of the pending release of v1.8 of the firmware, due out later this week, which will include some MIDI Template improvements in addition to the other new features it's focussed on.

1. Added details on how users can add custom banner image artwork to their MIDI Templates.
    2. Added details on a revised and simpler way users can enter MIDI Template browsing (just press the SETTINGS/MIDI button… no longer need to press Shift+Browser)

Note that if you need v1.8 for these functions to work, which is slated to ship by Friday 27th (we intend to release Thursday 26th September, but download servers can take a while to populate for all).

• Kymeia

My new default template

• Kymeia

1280 x 212 png

• NodeOperator
    NodeOperator Member Posts: 16 Member

Thanks to all for bringing this feature to Komplete Kontrol. It’s a much appreciated personal touch to brighten those studio hours.

• minitaurus
    minitaurus Member Posts: 4 Member

Dear experts, I have 2 questions (so far):

• how to program in a template a bank select or anything similar in order to be able to switch through more than 128 presets of a soft synth? So far I was only able to program the "normal" increasing or decreasing incremental program change, but according to MIDI spec this is only feasible for the first 128 presets.
    • this one is only referring partially to the templates but also to the S61 mk3 OS: If I want to control the tempo of my DAW (FL Studio in this case) I can either tap in the tempo in DAW mode with shift+Metro/Tempo button. Or I can teach an encoder in a template. The latter way is of course the most comfortable but I don't like that it is not directly in the DAW mode besides the other DAW controls. Is there a way to control the tempo in DAW mode with knob already now or could this possibly be implemented in a future update? I am currently running with 1.8.4

• DigitalAudioDaily
    DigitalAudioDaily Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 8

How easy is it to change midi channels? Are templates channel specific?

• Matthew_NI

Each individual element in a MIDI Template (e.g. a button, a knob, a keyzone, a wheel, a touchstrip) can send on a discrete MIDI channel.

• Kymeia
    edited October 8

Or if you just want to switch MIDI channels fast and nothing else you can create as many templates as you want MIDI channels, and for each assign a different MIDI channel on the keyzone page, then switch them using preset up/down