Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 23

Could not find any migration info in the Kontakt 8 manual table of contents. What migration options do we have from Kontakt 7 to Kontakt 8 with our current DAW templates (with Kontakt 7) in Cubase and Logic and how does it work in this new version? With the product being released, please disclose this info now, update the manual if there is any migration support.

I still don't see any info what sample libraries have been upgraded with scalable instrument GUI. Why no transparency? Will some libraries have alternative versions on Native Access? Will NI release a complete list and a roadmap what libraries will get a free or paid updrades (perhaps add this on the support page)? Info regarding possible updates from third party devs like Heavyocity and Output would be nice too.

Currently it seems like NI is trying to sell Komplete Kontrol 15 without disclosing any of this info.

BTW can you access certain Kontakt buttons like Purge without going into Classic mode? Global Purge should have a Midi CC supported button at the top beside the performance data.

• Denis89
    Denis89 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Is it possible to disable the sample preview when loading an instrument? While the preview on click is useful, once I load an instrument, hearing the sample again feels unnecessary. Sometimes the preview is quite long, which delays me from playing the sound directly.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert
    edited September 23

MLARS

Not a Cubase or Logic user but I thought the migration was automated in these two DAWs?

My understanding is that this is a DAW specific allowance and not something that Kontakt controls.

VP

• MLARS
    edited September 23

Messy situation, agree. Migration options important on newer versions of Kontakt.

Would be nice to see:

• Better lifecycle support of older Kontakt versions and updateable sample libraries.
    • Let Native Access manage multiple versions of certain libraries if you have multiple Kontakt versions installed (it will eat more drive space, but hopefully you can run your older projects). Native Access should warn of possible library conflicts with older sample players if there is a problem.

• trusampler
    trusampler Member Posts: 93 Helper
    edited September 23

Just purchased Komplete 15 Collectors Edition Upgrade: My question is regarding LEAP , can you make it possible for us to copy/paste keys. Eg: I drag and drop a loop / audio sample on Key 1,adjust the samples start and stop times. I then want to copy and paste these exact start and stop times from this sample onto different keys ( Key 2,Key 3 etc. ).

Also Zoom in / out !!

This would be incredible, as of now I have to manually change each start and stop per key.

We could really use the copy/paste option please ;) thanks so much!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,242 mod
    edited September 23

Here are my questions:

1 - The new K Factory Library (v1.4.0) states the min required version is K8, so should those that don't own K8 (full version) not update libs? I tried and presets seem to work on K7 except the "Combined" ones (since K7 doesn't have the new "Tools" like Chords and Phrases).

2 - What made you go with "Chords and Phrases" AKA MIDI tools(?) inside Kontakt instead of leaving that to Komplete Kontrol? Is NI now planning to invest in constantly improving these "Tools" ? Because comparisons with more advanced plugs like Scaler-2 will be unavoidable, and there seems to be way too much on NI's plate already, why not simply allow MIDI Plugins to be loaded inside K/KK, in other words delegate MIDI tools to 3rd party?

I'm really torn here because i've always wanted this sort of tools in KK and Maschine and somehow it happens in Kontakt first, I'm sure theres a master plan that can't be divulged yet but this is quite surprising.

3 - "Leap" is even more surprising than "Tools", looks like Outputs's Arcade to me, a construction-kit loop masher of sorts… Risky move I must say as Kontakts main audience doesn't seem very much into this sort of stuff to say the least - Anyway is it normal that "Leap" content is not installed where I have my "content location" set in NA2? Lo-Fi Vibes and Piano Uno samples and whatnot went to /Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Kontakt 8/Content, for now it's just 2 instruments so not much space is taken at all but i prefer all that stuff in my external SSD.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert

@D-One

"The new K Factory Library (v1.4.0) states the min required version is K8, so should those that don't own K8 (full version) not update libs? I tried and presets seem to work on K7 except the "Combined" ones (since K7 doesn't have the new "Tools" like Chords and Phrases)"

That is the reason I posted this thread…to try and get ahead of any damage….

ATTN: All Kontakt 7 Users - Warning for Factory Library 2 - PLEASE READ ASAP — Community (native-instruments.com)

The way I read this - could be a recipe for disaster - plunging a user right back into "Your Kontakt version is too old" if they open a project that used Factory Library v1.3.0

I do not have K8 yet and do not plan to install it for while but are you saying you did this and it works in K7 - with no errors?

Please confirm.

VP

• zenluiz
    zenluiz Member Posts: 12 Member

Why does NI create separate, new version of products for each major release? Like now, Kontakt 8 is out, making Kontakt <= 7 obsolete, which means older projects using Kontakt <= 7 won't be automatically updated to Kontakt 8, unless I use it inside Komplete Kontrol plugin.

Is there a way to work this around? I am using Ableton Live.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,242 mod
    edited September 23

Yeah, so far so good but I have no ideia in what old project I might have used the Kontakt Factory lib I just updated to load and test what happens, hence my question. I should have saved a quick project now that I think about it. 99% of my libs are compatible with the Player version, so others might run into issues if their libs arent, a bit of a confusing topic tbh

My understanding is having a separate version prevents the exact problem above, as in forcing people to use the latest version when they dont own the full version for example. KK doesent have several separate versions like Kontakt and that created all sorts of mess… so theres pros and cons to each approach.

• Beatsandmore
    Beatsandmore Member Posts: 83 Helper

If D one is questioning kontakt 8 then I know this push for me for now... sad state we are in with in my opinion low bar hope for komplete kontrol update.

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 189 Advisor

I'm sorry but Kontakt should not be refreshing every year, this is just a money grab!!

1 major release every 3-4 years. £89 every year, when you should be updating Kontakt 7 with these features!!

What does thast mean Kontakt 7 stops getting updates now, not mor features?

• iamadan
    iamadan Member Posts: 33 Member

Given all of the loops in the Maschine expansions, will they be expanded with Leap presets as well? I see that I can create my own Leap presets with those loops, but wondering if those will become part of existing Maschine expansions as well. Thanks!

• James Steele
    James Steele Member Posts: 54 Member
    edited September 24

is Kontakt 8 actually OUT? I paid to update from Komplete 14 to Komplete 15 and can't find Kontakt 8 available in Native Access yet.

NEVERMIND!!! Just appeared!!!

• Thomba
    Thomba Member Posts: 7 Member

Is there a general Kontakt 8 discussion board? I did find a few issues that should need resolving :-)

• MLARS
    edited September 24

Totally agree. 4 years minimum life cycle and more features and improvements in that timespan.

No info on ways of migrating to a new version, especially if you have large templates with 100+ Kontakt tracks does not help. If Kontakt releasing new paid versions frequently it must be easier to update/migrate - and the value proposition much higher.

This discussion has been closed.