How are you dealing with instruments now compatible only in K7 but you used them in K6?

JKN
JKN Member Posts: 12 Member
edited 9:23AM in Kontakt

Recently, I updated a couple of Kontakt instruments. They still work in K7 but now not in K6. Why does Native Access not warn you that what you're about to install "might" be backwards INcompatible? Anyway, NI customer support suggested I could download and install earlier versions of the instruments, but Mac (OS 13.6.7) won't allow it because it can't scan the .pkg or .dmg files. So now I'm having to re-create the K6 tracks in K7, which is proving to be difficult, of course. Any suggestions about how to deal with this (apart from NOT updating instruments from now on)?

Best Answers

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,079 Expert
    edited July 6 Answer ✓

"Why does Native Access not warn you that what you're about to install "might" be backwards INcompatible?"

Wayyyyy back in September 2023 - all Kontakt libraries were updated to enable compatibility for the new MKIII Kontrol keyboards and NKS 2.0.

Each library in Native Access also has Release Notes. And starting in September 2023 - the Release Notes state for each of those libraries - if you install this latest update - it will require Kontakt 7.6.x (or higher).

If you are staying on K6 - go here:

And download the prior (K6) versions of any compromised libraries. Uninstall the K7 version and reinstall the K6 version.

And yes - you can never update any K library again - or you will have this same issue.

Finally - this:

"Mac (OS 13.6.7) won't allow it because it can't scan the .pkg or .dmg files"

Sounds like a system access/permissions issue - lots of solutions out there about moving .pkg files from one folder to another gets things working - like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254600885?sortBy=best

VP

• Vocalpoint
    Answer ✓

Where are your seeing these "requirements"?

If it's from the website - ignore everything you see there. Most of it is severely outdated and cannot be trusted for any actual install usage.

VP

Answers

• Vocalpoint
    edited July 6 Answer ✓

"Why does Native Access not warn you that what you're about to install "might" be backwards INcompatible?"

Wayyyyy back in September 2023 - all Kontakt libraries were updated to enable compatibility for the new MKIII Kontrol keyboards and NKS 2.0.

Each library in Native Access also has Release Notes. And starting in September 2023 - the Release Notes state for each of those libraries - if you install this latest update - it will require Kontakt 7.6.x (or higher).

If you are staying on K6 - go here:

And download the prior (K6) versions of any compromised libraries. Uninstall the K7 version and reinstall the K6 version.

And yes - you can never update any K library again - or you will have this same issue.

Finally - this:

"Mac (OS 13.6.7) won't allow it because it can't scan the .pkg or .dmg files"

Sounds like a system access/permissions issue - lots of solutions out there about moving .pkg files from one folder to another gets things working - like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254600885?sortBy=best

VP

• JKN

Thanks so much for the detailed answer! Much appreciated. I admit: I'm not good at reviewing all release notes for every update, but I will be from now on and will be very careful now about which updates I install. In the meantime, I'm re-creating all my current sessions, so that there will be no K6 versions. Interesting, too, how some instruments sound WAY different in K7, even if the instrument settings are identical. For example, one instance with two layers had to be separated so that each layer is in its own track, then one layer had to be dropped two octaves and the other raised two. That was the only way to have the K7 version sound the same as the K6 version. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to give me all those details and helpful steps.

• JKN

One more question: So, I took your suggestion and checked out some system requirements; for example, for Amati Viola (another instrument that suddenly doesn't work in K6), which says that what's needed is "Free Kontakt Player version 6.2.2 and higher, or Kontakt version 6.2.2 and higher." Any idea, then, why it doesn't work in 6.8? (I had the same K6 problem with AV as with Ethereal Earth.) And I love how they say EE is included in Kontakt 6 but needs 7.6. :)

• Vocalpoint
    Answer ✓

Where are your seeing these "requirements"?

If it's from the website - ignore everything you see there. Most of it is severely outdated and cannot be trusted for any actual install usage.

VP

• JKN

Thanks again!

• Vocalpoint

One tip when scanning the website - if you ever see any reference to K6 out there - you know you are dealing with outdated info as Kontakt 6 has been retired for almost 2 years now.

It is no longer sold or supported.

VP

• JKN

Great tip. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.