Massive X needs better browsing options

Chris Moser
Chris Moser Member Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2022 in Massive X & Synths

Love the synth but use it to rearly because you can't search for specific sound qualities like agressive, fast attack, lo fi, + you can't tag sounds. Almost every other synth has much better browser options. For me as producer who is working on tons of different tracks during a relatively short time a top noch browser is key!

Comments

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,105 admin

@Chris Moser Edited your title because it doesn't really move the discussion in a constructive place to start with "Massive X browser is bad"

The good news is that there's some browser improvements coming for Massive X very soon. We'll share more in this space as soon as possible.

• Chris Moser

Thanks so much! Looking forward to using more often!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Also, you may use Komplete Kontrol plugin wrapper. It has better browser than MX and allows browsing MX presets.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,105 admin

Great reminder @Kubrak - thanks 🙌

• Chris Moser

Thanks kubrak!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,612 Expert
    edited May 2022

Except you still can't organise anything into user banks even in Komplete Kontrol. I hope this sort of implementation makes a good model for NI browsers too (see attached) - you have detailed tagging, patch notes, author name and bank name all in one usable dialogue, empowering users to create and manage their own content. There is also an export function so presets can be packed with things like user waves to enable people to create their own banks to exchange or sell (which is essential for Massive X if creators are using user noisetables). Of course much of this was possible years ago in NI browsers but they got dumbed down unfortunately after the Kore 2 debacle. NI used to understand that enabling a thriving content creation community is essential to the long term survival of a synth - look at how well that worked for the original Massive as well as Reaktor and Kontakt. Unfortunately since KK, and even worse with Massive X, everything seems to be with the aim of keeping any content creation 'in house' and for 'NKS partners' and not giving users the tools they need to organise, manage and exchange their own content.

• Kymeia
    edited May 2022

Unfortunately with the latest release we are still stuck with having to tag our own patches in Komplete Kontrol and no ability to organise user presets, or third party ones (other than by NI themselves) into banks. The new browser only provides tagging and banks for factory and NI created presets but no way to tag anything for users. This is not good enough NI, and it is not really what users have been asking for regarding a better browser. Yes the additional filtering and faster loading are welcome, but not the main thing that was wanted, which was the ability to organise and tag our own content. What is a point of a great browser that only works properly for NI created content? This is a synth, not a rompler. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a ton of self created and third party content all in a long disorganised list and I know many third party sound designers who have been holding back from supporting Massive X, despite its amazing sound and potential, because they know their content will just get lost in that disorganised mess that is the user section. Was no one listening to users requests?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

Hey @Kymeia A little word from the team behind it:

This is the first iteration of this browser. We wanted to ship this already to all users as we see it as a clear improvement. For now we couldn’t go more into detail because we first need to finish maintenance topics like Apple Silicon compatibility. We will be endeavouring to push improvements into this in future iterations, to improve yours and all our other users experience with Massive X. We appreciate the feedback and will be working hard to try and get these user experience improvements into Massive X as quick as we can"

I forwarded your comments, of course, hopefully the browser does get improved in a bnot too far future.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,274 Guru

Thanks for sharing this info from the design team. Fingers crossed that the browser foundation in the updated Massive X finds its way into KK as soon as possible. It is a much better foundation than what is currently in KK. And where it can evolve towards seems encouraging.

• Kymeia
    edited May 2022

Thankyou, that sounds encouraging hopefully. So can you confirm that the user section will definitely get tagging and bank naming too? (tbh Komplete Kontrol still hasn't got the ability to create/name banks after many years of asking for it so I hope you can see why I might seem a bit concerned that this might not happen but obviously if it does I'd hope it will be in KK etc too)

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

Hey @Kymeia Unfortunately I can't confirm anything that specific. Just know that the Massive X team of what users want in that domain and they want to make it better.