Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Comments

• nicholasbinder
    nicholasbinder Member Posts: 11 Member

But, let‘s be honest here.. I‘ve never seen a KK user raving about the fantastic software, they‘re mostly used by composers and producers as pure MIDI-keyboards because the hardware is top-notch without any real head-to-head competitors. Or do you have data that suggests something different?

• nicholasbinder
    nicholasbinder Member Posts: 11 Member

Okay then… it‘s interesting to hear that people outside my musician friends / YouTube creators bubble are actually heavy users of KK. What would be interesting though is how many people use KK just to get access to Play Assist, because that‘s why I‘m using it 99% of the time.
    Also, to make one thing very clear: I think this thread with the roadmap etc. is a really good thing. I feel like many users (including me) are just very frustrated by NIs handling (or lack thereof) of user feedback in the past, which in turn results in sometimes harsh / unfair critisism on this thread.

• Oscar Morante
    Oscar Morante Member Posts: 71 Helper

Yeah, I very much appreciate you taking the time to talk to the community about what's going on (missed deadlines or not). And I'm also super impressed with you ability to keep cool with everything that's being said. I wish I had that skill, hahaha

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

but I really do think we have more Kontrol hardware users than people realize. Not just of prior generations, but the new one. At a glance right now, the Kontrol MK3 is anywhere from #1 to top #5 to top #10 best selling at two leading retailers worldwide (Sweetwater, Thomann) depending on the model (496188).

I notice that retailers are also cutting the price of the units a little over 6 months following their birth, which I find a little unusual… The Mk3 S88 for instance, can be bought in the UK for £1029 now.

I also find it strange that I have yet to find an independent review, be it on YouTube or other site, since the initial batch of NI rewarded reviews.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,193 mod

I also find it strange that I have yet to find an independent review, be it on YouTube or other site, since the initial batch of NI rewarded reviews.

How do we see/find out if this is an 'independent review' or not ?

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

The point I was trying to make was the almost complete absence of ANY review of the MK3s out there in the wild AFTER the initial batch with the declared NI provided and funded hardware.

• DaraXHits
    DaraXHits Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I have just realised the loss in functionality of my MK1 keyboard.
    I'm looking to buy a MK2 keyboard but wary of how long you are going to support this keyboard for? Concerned that in a year or so the same thing will happen to MK2. Can you advise as I feel like my MK1 has gone from being useful to a piece of junk…..I don't really want to stay on an older version of the software to keep it utility.

If I revert to 2.9, will all the same plugins work on 2.9 as do on 3? To the same quality etc.?

Thanks

Chris

• PoorFellow
    edited May 23

If I revert to 2.9, will all the same plugins work on 2.9 as do on 3? To the same quality etc.?

Several users have had problems reverting despite that some may claim it to be a piece of cake (?) but it can be done

JesterMgee expert KK 2 drill instructor , expert in NKS and proprietor of Freelance Soundlabs shows his instruction skills here and downwards.

JesterMgee also gives his opinion on KK 3 app versus KK 2 app here .

All that aside then if you want to buy a new N.I. Keyboard then get the S-Series MK3. It simply represents the future. S-Series MK 3 support next-gen NKS, polyphonic aftertouch and Midi 2.0

I would though recommend to wait buying until next sale which is expected to be in a few weeks (not all items are on sale from start of sale so you may have to wait until all offers have kicked in)

• DaraXHits
    DaraXHits Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Thank you for your quick responses both, it's highly appreciated.
    I can't lie, buying an MK3 for the cost seems hard to justify given I can't see many features too beneficial from what my MK1 can do in 2.9. I wish they offered discounted bundle upgrades to your Komplete version in the purchase of a new keyboard making it more compelling.

Feel pretty bummed out over this recent loss in functionality of the MK1 and the idea of having to 'down-grade' my software back to 2.9, although it sounds like some would class that as an upgrade, particularly if you have got a MK1

• PoorFellow
    edited May 23

I wish they offered discounted bundle upgrades to your Komplete version in the purchase of a new keyboard making it more compelling.

What has been seen on sales is that the keyboards come bundled with full version bundles, probably because not all new keyboard buyers already have bundles to upgrade. 🤔

But your idea is something that Native Instruments ought to consider.

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 120 Helper

Probably understaffing. But "understaffing" by our opinion, because if a company would hire more programmers to finish something, they have nothing to do after it's finished, so it's a double edged sword to hire more people. But just wait til companies lay off programmers to use AI to write their code instead. It will probably design really horrible user interfaces, but be really good at fixing bugs. Same day bug fix updates.

I think it was you who mentioned the term 'Promise Ware'. That's a good name for it; I already had noticed this new kind of practice. Software companies' seeing the proof of concept from video game companies selling unfinished video games for full price, and running with that bending of the power dynamic between the buyer and seller. A while back I was making fun of Image Line for making micro transactions instead of fixing issues, calling their daw EA Studio.

I really hope this "MIDI Templates" is the same kind of MIDI editor we had before. Calling it MIDI Templates instead of a MIDI Editor makes me real nervous. NI doesn't know what a stop button is and IL doesn't know what a half note is, so I'm stuck in between trying to integrate these two technologies from companies who make some really bad decisions and also DON'T LISTEN to feedback.

This discussion has been closed.