Kontakt 7 Unusable on my Mac Studio After Updating to Kontakt 7.10.0

Options

Answers

• moonintheclouds
    moonintheclouds Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Everything seems to be fine on my m2 mac studio when I upgraded to sonoma 14.5 beta 3 today... no problems.... however its a different story on my m2 mac mini pro... stand alone kontakt 7.9 is crashing and also on all my daws... cubase, logic, pro tools and digital performer 11.31

• Ashtapper
    Ashtapper Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

My 7.10.1 seems perfect at the minute on my MacStudio M1, but Native Access won't even show anything over the installed 7.9.0 on my MacBook Pro as an update leaving me unable to use Kontakt 7 on that machine on the road.

• moonintheclouds
    moonintheclouds Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

NI and other DAW developers including MOTU and Apple are well aware of the problem… When I went to sonoma 14.5 beta 3 on my m2 mac studio with Kontakt 7.9 the problem went away… but it seems a bit choppy and not really as stable….

• Darcey
    Darcey Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 27
    Options

Kontakt 7.10.1 is much better than 7.10.0 (that was unusuable), but it's far from right.

7.10.1 only takes 30% of 1 of my cpu cores now in a blank project with only kontakt 7.10.1 with analogue dreams loaded and moving 1 the cut off dial back and fore.

PS. Tip that may help other users, loading a project up and finding a 1 or more CPU cores almost maxed out? Open each instance of Kontakt and it should drop down, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

PS. @NativeInstruments @NI
    You have a long way to go to sort Kontakt 7.x.x CPU load and GUI issues. Also have you noticed Native Access's CPU core use? That's just insane for what it is. It also takes about the time it takes me to make a cuppa to open…

My setup:
    Windows 10 Pro (latest updates installed)
    i9 9900k @4.65Ghz on all cores
    64GB ram
    RTX 4090
    Scarlett 8.6 gen3
    Bitwig Studio & Studio One Pro 5

• Electromusicproject
    Electromusicproject Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

It is saddening after moving my whole platform from hardware synthesis to Komplete and spending thousands on ultimate and play series etc. that the backbone of all of it - Kontakt - should not have the most attention to detail regarding update releases being properly tested on several major system configurations. Am going to do a complete uninstall and roll back to Kontakt 7.9 (again) today to attempt to get some performance back.
    I know there are other issues, like with apples OS upgrades- they have killed several of the gui components of my synths over the years.
    if it werent for new NI releases needing the newest version of Kontakt all the time, id not upgrade anything again.

• TOAL
    TOAL Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Having the same issue as everyone else here. Followed the suggestion and rolled back to 7.9, which works much better if I open a new instance. However, now when I open some logic projects that I initially used kontakt 7.10.0 in it get a pop up telling me that I need a "future version" of kontakt and the library won't load. Working on a deadline here with some projects that are mostly done, need this resolved ASAP. Please at least post a link to 7.10.1 again so I can open my projects. I'll take my chances with the bugs if I'm at least able to load the project.

• Electromusicproject
    Options

Agreed Toal. I have one damaged project due to the need a newer version message. Im so glad I didnt open more projects as it would have stripped wach one of all kontakt settings when opening in an older version of Kontakt. It needs a proper solution, not a 7.10.1 quick fix that was brewed up in a day. Its our livelihood that is at stake here.
    please please fix this!!!

• Mario.Severin
    Mario.Severin Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Downgrading to 7.9.0 is now my temporary solution because my Ableton Live 12 was crashing like hell with 7.10.0 and 7.10.1 (it does not even opened the project - crash while loading). I made all the steps for solving the crashing problems but now I have K7 in demo mode! I hope you fix it soon and it will be reliable as it was in the past. Thanks. MarioS

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 530 Pro
    Options

I'm on Windows 10 and I was getting many of those problems you mentioned until I began using exclusions in my Windows Security on key folders and files. The antimalware program is ridiculous for dominating the CPU during loading of projects. You might want to test this simply by opening Windows Security, selecting Virus & Threat Protection, then Virus & Threat Protection Services Manage Settings and turning off Real Time Protection and see if that speeds things up. On my PC it was a night and day difference.

If that works you can just use the Manage Exclusions with selected folders/files to make sure antimalware doesn't run so you don't have to completely disable the Virus & Threat Protection Services.

• RJ-ENQZ
    RJ-ENQZ Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Same, 7.9 is not working on my M2 Pro Mac Mini running Ventura. Gosh… as I just acquired two new projects. SMH.

• jriede
    jriede Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

Yeah, this whole situation sucks. Nothing like paying top dollar for unusable programs. Thanks Native!

• Electromusicproject
    Options

running here on same spec. Managed to get 7.9 working again after the 7.10 upgrade by reinstalling 7.9, then uninstalling 7.9 via deleting all the files as specified in native access i structions on ‘how to delete a product’ including all the prefs files in home folders, then reinstalling 7.9. Thankfully all working

But of course, the cpu use by kontakt still needs addressing, there are options in kontakt to use the 8 cores, but I dont think NI have addressed efficient use on mac M2 macs. The spikes and audio dropouts do not reflect the actual cpu usage. they are sudden and appear even when a sample is fully loaded and im using less than 1/4 of my available ram.
    what worries me is the speed at which Apple releases new chips. The attention will then go onto optimising kontakt with the new hardware I presume. just hoping that better efficiency gets sorted on the set up that I have because I’m not looking to upgrade my system for years.
    Good luck with getting 7.9 working again

• SaschaFranck
    SaschaFranck Member Posts: 78 Helper
    edited May 3
    Options

How is it possible that these things even happen?

I installed Kontakt Player 7 not even 2 weeks ago (not going to update my Komplete Ultimate 12 just yet, for reasons…) on a brandnew maxed out Macbook Air M3. Native Access installed V10 - which was just downright horrible. I have hardly ever seen such a laggy, unreliable performance on any plugin (except maybe the latest version of Reaktor). Are these things not tested on all actual Macs before release? I mean, unlike in the Windows world, there's not too many variables, so that should be done before releasing anything.

Whatever, in case I was a "normal" user not active much in online forums, I possibly wouldn't even have known what was wrong and would hence assume that Kontakt 7 was just as bad as V10.

At least send out a mail to your users, apologize, tell your users to revert to V9 and provide a link to a previous version (and please, don't post it on GDrive, that's just looking so cheap… - NI should at least have decent file hosting capacities). Because that's what you do when you really care about customer relationships.

• Electromusicproject
    Options

yeah, laggy!
    I was running kontakt back in 2010 I think- followed several new releases over those years, no major problems (except performance cores are never utilised properly by kontakt, in my opinion hence sudden audio spikes when no samples need loading and cpu use is way down- ) and have worked with several DAWs since then as a full time composer/arranger and NEVER have I had the playhead grind to a halt and get refreshed maybe only every bar, VU meters refreshing every 10 seconds or so, and not a single usable macro due to the lag when adjusting parameters.
    and im with you about contacting users and making appropriate installers available for all affected by the faulty V10 upgrade.

And new releases are coming out like glaze 2.
    if I hadnt managed the v9 rollback, I wouldnt even be able to use this or any other play series instrument.

And no sign of a new version of Kontakt on native access. It should be an absolute priority.

• gnasher
    gnasher Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 4
    Options

Serious question, no shade or disrespect, just confused and concerned.

Why do people update to Kontakt 7.10 ? I think most users know that the process of updating Kontakt gets worse and has more bugs with each "update" Is there any content that's not compatible with 7.9 at this time for example?

Is it best practice to not update until absolutely necessary? Or do users need to update so they can be the (beta) users for NI to workout the bugs? NI obviously don't test these "updates" adequately before releasing.