Kontakt is not loading samples until they're played.

SAD
SAD Member Posts: 35 Member
edited 9:20AM in Kontakt

Hello!

Kontakt won't load much of a project until I actually play it. Which is somewhat consistent with how it worked before I upgraded to Mac studio from mac pro. If an instrument isn't used, it doesn't load, but now things are moving slowly when they load, and for a lot of instruments, they pause loading until I keep playing new notes on them, then pause again. What's going on? I've gone through the pages from support here where things load slowly because of antivirus software and the like. Nothing there helped. I've heard there's something called DFD that may be the cause but I don't see that in knotakt 7 options. (I'm using kontakt 7 full and 14.4 OS.) Kontakt, logic, and computer are at current updates.

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod
    Answer ✓

I believe the issue was solved thanks to one of my colleagues from support.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

What are your audio settings in Logic? Sample Frequency? Buffer size?

What about this section? Is it ticked or unticked?

Is everything functional in Kontakt in standalone when you load the same libraries?

If you check the options in Kontakt, can you check what settings you have in the multiprocessor support?

And finally, if you installed your Kontakt libraries on an external hard drive, waht's the format? On a recent Mac operating system it should be APFS: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod

'Just curious' , what is your loading settings ?

• SAD

Thank you for getting back so quickly! I'm thinking it's all mostly still loading because it will eventually get there.

@PoorFellow, The loading options are the same as yours but I like it to ask for confirmation.

@Jeremy_NI, input monitoring is unchecked. I'm trying but don't 100% understand it. Audio settings page is otherwise the same as the picture. Buffer is 128. Sample rate is 44.1 (more stuff I used to know and need to relearn). Loading in Kontakt7 by itself is fine. Multiprocessor support was three stars lol. I set it to 14 out of 16 and still have the problem.

Here's other pages.

• PoorFellow

Thank you , since it runs OK as standalone then I lean towards something in the DAW or maybe a resource related thing. But since you are on a M2 Ultra Mac Studio then I would think that you ought to have sufficient resources. But did you try to turn on the Memory Server setting above and then give it plenty of RAM to see if that makes any difference ? Else maybe change number of voices Kontakt optimizing to see if that made any difference !

• SAD

So I've tried that. I'm noticing that some of the instruments that just don't load all the way will jump up to disk 100% (right under CPU usage)

• Jeremy_NI

@SAD Well, for the input monitoring, if this is not ticked, all tracks have input monitoring, maki,ng it heavier on the CPU.

Do Kontakt and Logic all have full disk access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

What about the format of the drive?

• SAD

it feels like we’re going in circles with the questions.

yes. Everything has full disk access

• Jeremy_NI

@SAD You still didn't reply to the question about the format of the drive...I contacted you by email regarding the issue anyway, let's take it from there.

• SAD

We’re taking a step back because I’m trying to boot the system for os 14 again. I tried to go os13 with Apple support but there were weird, systemwide problems. I’ve been told that 14 is supposed to work now with K7. I won’t know for sure this is the case until I boot up an old project with a lot of kontakt tracks. I need to go through and relocate all these again. Older versions of NA had a “relocate all” button and outside of setting location paths correctly there’s nothing to do except select each instrument and reset it. I was under the impression this was a problem because of Time Machine. That’s not a factor anymore.

when I get back to my computer I’ll send the info you’re asking, in the meantime, is there a way to relocate these any faster than individually?

• Jeremy_NI

The latest version of Native Access still has a relocate all function. Sorry for insisting on the disk format but this is important, if you installed the libraries on an external hard drive and this drive is formatted to ExFat for example it can cause a lot of issues on your system.

• Vinark
    Vinark Member Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 3

If it is a lot a libraries in the project, it can take a long time for they are all loaded (minutes not seconds). Try this, right away after loading the project open all Kontakt GUI's and without playing the project see if there is still loading of samples going on. If yes, only start play if all is loaded. You can see that if all puge options turn white and ram usage does not increase anymore.

• SAD

Sorry. I haven’t been prioritizing the hard drive format because it was correct last time. I will check today. I’m swamped with getting to computer set up from scratched.

Can you show me how to relocate all in the new native access version? Everything I see just seems to have a button I don’t. I just downloaded the most recent version.

• PoorFellow

Can you show me how to relocate all in the new native access version?

Apparently only available when can be used ! , ref. : Using the Repair / Relocate All Function in Native Access

• SAD

The format is APFS.

I don't totally understad what you said Poorfellow, but the instruments are showing as not installed until I relocate, so I have "install all" but no "relocate all". I'd rather not reinstall all of them but if it's just broken for now and it's faster than going through each one individually I will.

I cannot believe this is considered an acceptable support experience.

• PoorFellow
    edited April 3

I don't totally understad what you said Poorfellow, but the instruments are showing as not installed until I relocate, so I have "install all" but no "relocate all".

I were referring to this section of the page (But perhaps , question is wrong ? : Locate is not the same as Relocate. I am not sure that 'Locate All' is yet available even if Relocate all is !)(Relocate is for already installed but moved products ! ) :

Locating Multiple Products

If multiple products were moved (e.g. KONTAKT / REAKTOR instruments or Expansions), Native Access will show an option to Relocate All products.

Note: The Relocate All feature applies to library content only. It's not currently possible to use Relocate All to find multiple applications (e.g. FM8, MASSIVE, etc.).

P.S. : For Mac there is this : Tips: Transfer all your Komplete products to a new Mac without reinstalling (not only Kontakt libs)

I cannot believe this is considered an acceptable support experience.

I do not work for N.I. , I am just another user made Moderator !

This discussion has been closed.