What are the minimum requirements for an SSD External Hard drive for VST's?

Options
ArtBerkeley
ArtBerkeley Member Posts: 42 Member
edited February 20 in Komplete General

I'm looking at investing in an external ssd hard drive for storing all my VST's on and was hoping you guys could share what the required minimum specs are? (e.g., MB/s, USB 3.0, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru
    Options

You need to at least tell people what type of computer you have and it's current configuration. How many internal SATA ports do you have? Does your motherboard have built in NVMe slots. Are you only able to connect a drive externally via USB, is it 2.0 or 3.0? Does your computer have Thunderbolt ports, are they 3.0 or 4.0? Are you using a PC or a MAC. What type of budget are you looking at? Some basic info would go a long ways in helping provide a useful response to your question.

As a general rule, these days I would suggest a nothing less than an NVMe drive, preferably internal but if using an external enclosure, use the fastest possible connection.

• ArtBerkeley
    Options

Sorry about that 😅

I'll have to follow up with my exact system specs tomorrow, but off the top, I have a PC on Windows 10 and have USB 3.0 and a 3.1 connections. I'll have to follow up about the motherboard slots and ports soon. I'm hoping to spend between $100-$150 for a drive.

I heard about external SSD's and thought they were a desirable option, but you're recommending internal drives as the better choice?

• reffahcs
    Options

Oh I didn't mean to imply exact system specs, just a general idea of what you're working with. There's a huge difference between a Mac Mini and a full tower PC is all. And even PC motherboards, some have no NVMe slots, and others have multiple.

If your motherboard has NVMe slots, then I would use those first. You'll get the fastest speeds using those.

If you have SATA III (3) or USB 3.0 then it's a bit of a wash as either one will get you about 600 MB/s. If it were me, I would still opt with the internal SATA III connection because anytime you introduce an external device, that's just more room for latency and performance loss.

• ArtBerkeley
    Options

Do you think the 600 MB/s SATA iii has noticeable latency compared to the faster NVMe?

Unfortunately, I don't think my motherboard has NVMe slots, so I'm looking at the Samsung 870 EVO SATA iii 1TB SSD as an option.

• reffahcs
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think for music plugins and NI libraries that SATA III is more than adequate. If you're going SATA III you might want to future proof a bit (since SATA III is cheaper than NVMe) and go with a larger drive so you can add to your instrument collection.

If you're on a budget then 1TB is a good choice, but take a look at what you have now in terms of libraries and plugins and think about how much you may want to grab in the future.

Cheers

• ArtBerkeley
    Options