Key Switches: Don't Want To Hold Down Always

Rembi
Rembi Member Posts: 12 Member

1) Using Kontakt 7 and loading guitar instruments, how can I keep and instrument key switch working without having to continuously hold down the key switch? (free up both hands to play)

2) If I load two or more guitar instruments, and want to play their key switches independent of each instrument, how do I do that? (I like different switches playing together from different instruments at the same time)

Thanks

Comments

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 897 Guru

I typically just manually insert the appropriate keyswitch note into each guitars MIDI piano roll so it changes at the correct point. You don't have to hold them down to get them to change. Just an 1/8th note is enough to get them to trigger. Ableton allows me to set non-destructive overdubs on the MIDI tracks so I sometimes just record over the track and manually hit the keyswitches.

• Rembi
    Rembi Member Posts: 12 Member
    DunedinDragon - thanks for that! Great idea, I will try it.
  • Kerryman
    Kerryman Member Posts: 13 Newcomer

I've posted a question about this same issue, a few days ago. I'm confused by your statement: "You don't have to hold them down to get them to change. Just an 1/8th note is enough to get them to trigger".

I do have to hold the key down constantly when using the keyboard and this is almost impossible when writing with a mini keyboards, as I have to octave down a few times and then come back up to play.

I know that the PRV can be used to trigger the key switch, but this is less than satisfactory if the notes require a certain type of playing, such as grace notes on a tin whistle. It's far better to play those in with the correct articulation, than let the PRV do it.

I'm new to NI VI's, and I have to say my recent purchase of 'Ireland' will be my last if NI does not have the technological capability of holding an articulation with a single press of a key switch. I'm actually quite amazed that every other VI maker seems to do it except NI.