Why am I unable to edit User library tags for samples?

Options
Alex-S49
Alex-S49 Member Posts: 19 Member

Hi, I've just received my Maschine Mk3 and I'm importing samples into the User library.

When I initially click 'Import' I am able to select multiple checkboxes for tags. However after the import, if I go back and click 'edit' all the controls in Types, Characters and Properties tabs are disabled. I cannot make any changes. Also the tags that I selected during import are not shown in the check boxes list either (only in the Types filter at the top).

I've searched the web but cannot find any mention of this problem.

Comments

• dmori
    dmori Member Posts: 66 Advisor
    edited January 19
    Options

Send some screenshots so we can understand what you mean.

• Alex-S49
    Options

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Here's a shot of my whole screen. I simply cannot tick any boxes or fields at all. I even made sure that the source folder and WAV files are read/write in case that was an issue. I imported some others and they do the same thing. My installation is brand new with the very latest Machine v2.17.5 installed yesterday. I have been an NI KK user for a year or so but bought my Macschine this week.

• Alex-S49
    Options

Here are a few more close-ups. The only control that is enabled is the "Content Type" drop-down list. Every other control on the tabs is disabled.

• dmori
    dmori Member Posts: 66 Advisor
    Options

@D-One is probably the best person to jump in.

But it looks like you can select One-short or Loop. I'm guessing that you can't edit them yet as they haven't been defined as a one-shot or loop (normally it does one-shot automatically, even if it is a loop, so you have to manually make changes).

Select all your files in the list, then select One-shot or Loop and they will be moved to your user/one-shot or user/loop section. Go over to that tab and hopefully you'll be able to edit them.

• Alex-S49
    Options

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I assumed that might be the case as One-shot and Loop were the only editable options. I tried applying One-shot earlier this evening and it didn't make any difference. I even tried restarting Maschine 2.

I gave up and spent a bit of time doing other things in Komplete Kontrol and Battery. I just came back to test your suggestion again and now I can edit tags! 😊. Also the Drums tag that I slected on import is now selected for all of them and the "+" at the bottom of the tags list for adding a new tag is now visible. That was missing before too.

I have no idea why it has changed. Perhaps Going into one of the other applications has triggered something in the Library.

I'm a happy noobie now. Thanks for your help. 👍️

• Alex-S49
    Options

... Something definitely changed in the meantime because now all the samples are tagged with the vendor as "Native Instruments" instead of "Other", as they were before.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,947 mod
    edited January 21
    Options

You shouldn't need to assign Loop/One-Shot tags before being able to edit other tags.

You're on Windows, right? Are you running Maschine standalone application in Admin mode? Dont do this kind of thing thru the Plugin Version.

Theres only 1 reason I know why you wouldn't be able to assign tags: The maschine app does not have access to edit the files: Either due to lack of permissions (admin mode) or because the files are write protected / read-only; so confirm thease 2 possibilities before moving on.

Hum... When you import from FILES the samples end up in under "Other" but if you apply any Tag to the samples after it on the main browser they go to "Native Instruments" if there is no custom Vendor/Author tag... This seems broken to me, it might be by design but I think it's a BUG or something that has been overlooked. I'll do some more tests and possibly report this.

I advise you to not use the Import function at all, just add the main folder in Prefs>Lib>User, then select all and apply the "Drums" Type + One-Shot tags, then use search to for example find all "kicks" and apply the kick sub-tag (I am assuming you're only importing drum ones-hots). But before that you gotta sort why you cant edit tags to begin with.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 348 Guru
    Options

Just for what it's worth:

I've seen something similar when I was playing with the user library on M+. There were a couple of files I couldn't tag and they were all set to Native Instruments regardless of what I did. For testing, I loaded them in audacity, resaved and then they worked fine.

I have literally no clue where the files I used came from (I'm old and have folders full of random "1000 kicks.zip" files from back when I thought it mattered). I didn't dig any further into it, but I just assume there was some issue with the specific files.

• Alex-S49
    Options

Yes, I'm on Windows 10 Pro and I've only been using the standalone of Maschine so far (in fact I can't see that any VST is listed in KK or Cubase, but that's something for another day).

I also just assumed it must be a file access issue but I couldn't see a problem there and I'm admin too.

There's definitely a bug of some sort because something similar happened again when I tried to import some loops. They defaulted to one-shots and I was unable to switch them to loops. It just ignored me. I then closed and re-opened Maschine and was then able to move them to loops and tag them.

• D-One
    Options

I also just assumed it must be a file access issue but I couldn't see a problem there and I'm admin too.

I dont use Windows much so I am no expert but I think theres a big difference between being an Admin and running an application in Admin Mode. Confirm you doing the latter.

• Alex-S49
    Options

"I think theres a big difference between being an Admin and running an application in Admin Mode"

I agree but we shouldn't have to routinely right-click 'Run As Admin' on applications. That's normally just for installations and maint tasks. In many environments and for good practice, users shouldn't have admin rights at all, so applications should be designed to be able to work fine without the need. Having said that, I don't think this is a file access issue anyway because it changes after an application restart.

• D-One
    Options

Can you just confirm if you tried it on Admin Mode and the if files aren't write protected?

• Alex-S49
    Options

The files definitely aren't write-protected but I haven't yet tried using Run-As Admin. I will try another example tonight and do that.

• Alex-S49
    Options

I've experimented again this evening and now I can't seem to repeat the issue, whether running as Admin or not.