Major problems since upgrading to an M1 Max Macbook

Joronobon
Joronobon Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi all, new to the forum here and a big hello! Love the Maschine MK3. It really is something :-D

However, I am currently having a pretty terrible time with my setup since upgrading to a new M1 Macbook Pro. Has anyone else experienced any of the following problems I am?

1) When browsing through sounds, suddenly (after 10-20 scans) I will just get a high pitch constant noise (continual beep) that doesn't go away without rebooting the software and hardware. Fairly sure it's only happened through the speakers feeding from the line out. Hoping it doesn't get me in headphones :-/

2) The Maschine 2 software is glitchy and crashes often no matter what I'm doing at the time.

3) I can no longer use the mic in or line in to record samples. I have the settings exactly the same as another Intel Macbook and that one works as normal.

4) I can't set buffer size to any lower than 256 without crackling. I would imagine this computer is capable of better latency settings?

All in all, really frustrated that this system just doesn't work well at all. I went mad on a spec for the M1 Max, 64GB and 4TB SSD so I could store all of the sounds on it in the hope it would be speedy. Anyone had similar issues? I'm going to try an older Macbook laptop from 2013 and see how I get on.

Cheers!

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

ad 4) M1 Max is pretty strong. But I can imagine, Maschine might have problems with big.little architecture. Maybe the things sorts out for Maschine the OS, but there were/are problems with Intel's big.little on Win. I know, not exactly the same situation like in case of Apple, but still....

If application blindly assumes that all cores behave more or less the same and forces loads evenly across cores, OS cannot do much about it....

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 386 Pro

I have a MBP 16gig ram M1 first gen with 1tb. Never experienced any issues at all

• starcorp
    starcorp Member Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2022

M1 pro here, no problems.

Maschine solo and also as plug in in mainstage or Sone (Rosetta)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,788 mod
    edited April 2022

That's odd since the official statement is that the M1 Max is supported thru Rosseta just like the normal M1, I have the latter too and no problems so far, on most projects from the lib the CPU meter only shows like 1 pixel, some times not even that and overall system usage is 8%... My 900$ fanless MB Air is get's close to my 2000$ intel desktop with a huge case, water cooler, delided CPU, 4x more ram, etc...

So... Something is very wrong over there.

@Joronobon said:

3) I can no longer use the mic in or line in to record samples. I have the settings exactly the same as another Intel Macbook and that one works as normal.

Have you enabled microphone permissions? System Prefs ➡️ Privacy ➡️ Microphone.

Anyone had similar issues? I'm going to try an older Macbook laptop from 2013 and see how I get on.

No but I've seen a thread where a Traktor user that also has an M1 Max had some issues and supported asked him to try a special version of the software. Cant seem to find that thread rn tho

1) When browsing through sounds, suddenly (after 10-20 scans) I will just get a high pitch constant noise (continual beep) that doesn't go away without rebooting the software and hardware.

There was a bug that caused that a few months back but it has been fixed since, what version of Maschine do you have installed?

• Joronobon

Thanks all for your replies, really really appreciate it.

I'm running Maschine 2.14.7 on the MK3 here. Is that the latest exactly? The Native Access app says there is no update but there are other later versions flying around like 2.3. I'm fairly new to Maschine so excuse my ignorance.

D-One, I hadn't enabled that in preferences so I'm praying that's it! Fingers crossed :-D

If I do have the absolute latest version of Maschine, if I was to uninstall and re-install to trial that as a solution, how would I go about doing that without losing all of my settings/favourites would you know?

Thanks a million!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,788 mod
    edited April 2022

Hopefully, let us know once you test the perms.

EDIT: I just noticed that the Max and Pro models seem to have additional issues the normal M1's do not have, I guess you are going to have to play the waiting game, sorry.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-M1-Compatibility-News

The latest 3 versions of MacOS require giving audio perms to applications, if something else doesn't work correctly (KK or any other music apps) now you know what to do. The system should also ask you for permissions when accessing certain folders like downloads, desktop, etc..

2.14.7 is the latest version.

If I do have the absolute latest version of Maschine, if I was to uninstall and re-install to trial that as a solution, how would I go about doing that without losing all of my settings/favourites would you know?

Reinstalling just overwrites things related to the application, it does not mess with your User Library where all your important stuff is (by default), and also does not mess with the favorites. But still it's good practice to have those backed up, the favorites.db3 file is in:

<Your HD>/Users/<Your Name>/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Shared/

• Joronobon

D-One! The permissions has resolved the microphone issue, thank you thank you thank you very much!

I have had a couple of sessions without the crazy beep since changing the permissions. Perhaps that is linked in some way. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen any more. Definitely still experiencing the crashing but hopefully that will be resolved.

Thanks so much again :-D