Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 122 Advisor
    1. As a new user, KK is an EXTREMELY confusing GUI. I understand that it is more of a host software for other instruments. But, given that fact, it seems the design language is all wrong. It should get the hell out of the way and be all back end. The instruments should be front and center. They are not. They are tiny icons that are hard to get to or find, subject to confusing ladders of selection/categories/subcategories. Ideally, the user wouldn’t even be aware that KK exists.
    2. I don’t understand what the purpose of the top section of this browser is for (pic above). It seems a pointless waste of real estate.
    3. For current users and notwithstanding point #1 above, it sure seems there should be two modes- “Studio” and “Performance”, each optimized for their respective purpose.
    4. For preset selection, it would be nice to reduce font size, but magnify the text currently hovered over/selected, ala the Dock in macOS. It would allow more presents listed within the window, save real estate, and preserve legibility.
    5. Ideally, every instrument that is NKS2 compliant- whether it be an NI product (Kontakt, Reaktor, Massive, FM8, or KK) or a non-NI product- should have direct integration with NI hardware going forward without KK involved at all (see #1). That is literally the purpose of the new hardware would allow us to have more fun making music.
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

As to @oobe79 point #2:

I don’t understand what the purpose of the top section of this browser is for (pic above). It seems a pointless waste of real estate.

IMO, this top section (plugin chain) should NOT be open by default. First thing I do after launching KK3 is deselect this top panel view. It is a small annoyance for sure.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,089 Expert
    edited November 2023

@Matthew_NI

"We are all better than this."

Include NI in this as well Matthew.

In defense of everyone in here - whether on point or off the track completely - I think NI should be BETTER and take the boatload of valid feedback (good, bad and otherwise) this thread has generated and do some actual good with it.

To allow KK3 to be released in its current state (which I totally understand for the MKIII crowd) for anyone who does not yet have a Komplete Kontrol MKIII board - was a true disaster from the start.

From missing/forgotten features to a strange non-intuitive layout to missing VST plugins AND the inevitable rollback to v2.9.x for many - we deserve better, and NI is capable of MUCH better.

Might actually be refreshing for NI to shut this thread down, put this thing back on bench, take a few months - stack up some wins and then show what you got.

If you give us a reason to actually install this thing and be excited about it - the negative vibe will dissipate quickly.

VP

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

We reinvent the wheel every time we want to push a load up a hill? No, the way the world works is we figure out...

Here's the problem. The world DOESN'T work the way you say. It did at one point, but no longer does. Why? Because I created a house with saws, hammers, chisels, and sandpaper. Maybe it takes me three years to build this thing, and I did it right, so I know it will last for 100+ years.

But just five years later, a buyer comes along and wants to extend it. But they don't use saws, hammers, chisels, or sandpaper. They use a CNC machine, a massive 3D printer, molded ceramics, and composites for the final finish. Their extension to my house will last for 50 years, but who cares, 'cause we'll all be dead before then anyway. The push is on because with their techniques, they can have the add-on done in a month. In fact, with their process, they can redo the WHOLE HOUSE in 3 months.

And who's to say that the buyer is wrong? My original design might have been an amazing piece of craftsmanship, but there will be little things wrong with it. A doorway too close to a window here, a too-small closet there, and a sharp edge sticking out in the kitchen by the stove.

And so the UI needs to be redone. But you don't just "move" a window, and you can't enlarge a closet without taking away some of the bathroom that's right next door.

So you come up with a whole new design. All to improve the UI, yep. Oh, and it won't take 3 months. It will take 3 years like it did for me working with metal hand tools. But we won't admit that the new guy knows software. Hammering nails? Not so much.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

We'll have to agree to disagree, albeit only slightly.

I cannot share commercial data, but both KK3 (on any keyboard) and MK3 have been extremely successful as-is (happy users tend not to take to the forums to express or emote quite as much).

As acknowledged earlier in the thread, there are reasons behind the prioritizations we made. At least those reasons are understood, even if for some, they are not liked. Where users are affected by the absence of, or changes with, the features they used, I think it's normal to be critical, ask why, and remain unsatisfied with the answer, however transparent the answer may be. With such a large user-base, it is of course always quite difficult to deprioritize certain features, no matter if the usage levels of those features are low.

But... we absolutely do have a boatload of great feedback! And are already acting as promised in my earlier posts (most imminently with browser resizing).

I have high confidence the majority will continue to be happy, and for those who are yet to be happy, will increasingly become so as more updates role out. I'm also under no illusions that everyone will be happy. I just wish people could focus their energy on, or at me and NI rather than one another. To put it another way, I've even had some users reach out to me via private message, either in reference to this, or some other threads, saying they're hesitant or scared to participate due to certain posts and people. Any time someone declines to participate, we lose an opportunity to hear their feedback.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,777 mod

@Matthew_NI i fully agree and i apologize for my 2-3 similar comments in those 5 pages, but:

I had been both, an administrator and a moderator on numerous forums, online communities and facebook groups, since 2004 and i know that part of the work of a moderator (or at least, an administrator) is to mark and delete such comments. Much better than closing a thread. ;-)

• Matthew_NI

I may also do that :-)

• Matthew_NI

Also worth noting I'm calling out a general vibe, but no one user specifically.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,777 mod
    edited November 2023

Indeed you did, but i learnt to be responsible and i can recognize my mistakes, no matter how small, and i have no problem to step out courageously to admit, even if i played a small part on this. I don't really care if others follow this example, but it would be nice and beneficial, wouldn't it? At least for our egos... :-)

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

Thank a bunch for this post. I found myself biting my lip a fair amount for a few days from directly responding to personal attacks and the mischaracterization of my postings thru inaccurate paraphrasing and sloppy "quoting".

Never did I call someone a "Luddite". The distinction of how different people have a different degrees of willingness to "break things" to rebuild is the point I was making that others would misinterpret.

I don't want to poke at this.. but I also don't some to think that I'm the type of person that actually called others "Luddites" and such. That never happened despite what some claimed.

But enough said on that.

I am very much enjoying the journey with KK3 + S-Mks3 evolving at a creative tool for music making.

Every fews weeks seems to be bring some welcome progressive tweak.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,172 mod

@Matthew_NI , Hi Matthew , some of us have a wish with respect to using the KK as standalone for sound browsing and auditioning.

It would be really nice with an interface reset button that cleared the loaded library and sound from being loaded so that one afterwards can just choose another library .

Ref. user question here : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/19223/reset-kontrol-software

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro

Finally one of you at NI said something about members using this forum for ego driven confrontation and nor was this an isolated incident. So THANK YOU. I was beginning to wonder whether there is any such thing as moderation on this forum.

And @Sunborn...well done and well said.

• BIF

I can refine them here. I just don't want to get into all the drama, so I'm keeping quiet here.

By the way, when you click on the "+" sign, you need to click on the plus-sign itself, not just on the tile. Don't know if that makes a difference to the problems some folks are having.

• BIF

"I was beginning to wonder whether there is any such thing as moderation on this forum."

We should bear in mind that "New NI" probably has a lot more US-based team members than "Old NI" ever did. That probably includes developers, administrators, testers, and the "_NI" folks who sift through forum posts.

That makes a difference because the US just came out of a Thanksgiving holiday weekend of seeing family, and eating turkey, ham, and other delicious nosh, all while watching American football. And then there's the food-coma that comes on from overdosing on tryptophan, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. 😉

This discussion has been closed.