Built-In Algo Reverb: how to save CPU

mdiemer
mdiemer Member Posts: 59 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

I am using the algo Reverb in Kontakt 6 instead of the convo, to save cpu usage. I have deleted all instances of the convo reverb for each instrument, and inserted algo in its place. I have a bunch, as it is an orchestral project. I'm using the Factory Library VSL inst's. Now, does this mean that each inst has a separate instance of the algo reverb? CPU is about 20-25% with several inst's playing (all the string groups, a harpsichord, a few solo winds and a little percussion). This doesn't seem too bad, and I have no problems with playback.

Should I instead route all inst's to an auxiliary channel, to save CPU? If so, how exactly do you do that?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

You need to route the Aux channel to the actual outputs of the plugin. Below the vertical volume slider you likely see something like -|-, this should say 1|2 instead (or whichever plugin outputs you want really). Click the -|- part to assign plugin outputs.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Yes, each instrument has its own reverb, this is easily verifiable by turning up the reverb on one instrument...you will hear more reverb on that instrument only... I would say for realism's sake, to route the instruments to a Reverb bus and use a single reverb on all instruments. Since an Orchestra is usually recorded in one place (Hall, Symphony, Cathedral), you would want to replicate that. As far as setting up the Reverb bus you have not given enough info on your DAW to give instruction.

• mdiemer

Thanks! I am using Reaper (on Linux). I do adjust the wet slider for each inst, so as to try and get some separation front to back. Same Large Hall setting so everything in same space. I used to use Sonar, and I did use a bus then. I'm still not very savvy with Reaper and haven't yet figured out the bus thing. It's not as straight-forward as Sonar (nothing is on Reaper, but once you get it it's a great DAW, and very powerful).

I was hoping there was a way to do this right on Kontakt, for example with an auxiliary output, using a send? There are so many modules however that I got confused (it doesn't take much at 70 years of age).

• Blindeddie

I am not sure if you can do effects routing between instruments directly in Kontakt.

here is a vid on setting up a reverb bus in Reaper… hope it helps!!!

https://youtu.be/UE41-3LA1H4

• mdiemer

What I'm wondering is this: On the Garritan Aria Player, there is built-in reverb. Two kinds, just like Kontakt , convo and analog. you can switch either on or off. On the mixer panel of Aria, there are sends for each instrument, which control the reverb amount. So, right on the Aria synth, you can control reverb for all 16 tracks. No bus is needed. It looks like Kontakt may have this ability, as there are various modules and sends. But it is not clear how to do it, assuming it is in fact possible.

• Blindeddie

I guess it’s time to dive into the Kontakt Manual!!!🤪

• EvilDragon

You can do that in Kontakt too, just use an Aux channel in the Output panel of Kontakt. Each instrument header has AUX button (and it's also up there in top right of Kontakt's rack), which adds 4 aux send sliders for each loaded instruments.

• mdiemer

I have, but sometimes I either can't find what I'm looking for, or can't quite get what it's saying.

• mdiemer

Ah, i suspected you could, with all those options available. I will give it another go.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

If the reverb is a duplicate, it's best to use only 1 instance. I use one reverb in the master channel output. Keeping it simple for a listener to focus on the instruments and feel the sound of the room. Works great for headphones and isn't needed in a live listening room.

• mdiemer

I agree one reverb is best. But for orchestral music I want to be able to adjust the instruments individually, which I think needs to be done differently.

• mdiemer

I'm having trouble getting the auxiliary/send thing working. I put a reverb on the first aux. output. I tried using the first aux. send for the Horn. Adjusting the slider doesn't seem to work. I mean, it moves, but has no effect on the aux. output. I did adjust the wet slider on the reverb to 100%. When I play a note, I see that some signal seems to be going to the aux. output, but it's not white like on the output itself, but kind of gray. Does the aux. output need to be routed somewhere? I can't see how if it does.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

I would check the input levels on the reverb that's in the aux receive. If it has an input then it's output need to go somewhere. Does your daw automatically send the aux to the main outs. Normally it is by default. Did you mess around in there?

• EvilDragon
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

You need to route the Aux channel to the actual outputs of the plugin. Below the vertical volume slider you likely see something like -|-, this should say 1|2 instead (or whichever plugin outputs you want really). Click the -|- part to assign plugin outputs.

• mdiemer

Thank you, that did it. Had to fool around a bit but I finally got the outputs of Aux 1 to say 1/2. Closed Kontakt, saved work, reopened and now it works.

It is not a very intuitive process. Good thing NI has you.

• EvilDragon

It IS a process that is explained in the manual, though. :)