East Asia - Erhu octave range is too small.

Diyar
Diyar Member Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Hello! I posted this topic many months ago in the old forum, but didn't receive an answer.

To be frank, I'm extremely disappointed with the erhu in East Asia Spotlight Collection. Its octave range is ludicrously small, and I'm finding it impossible to write the music I'd like. A real erhu can play over three octaves, and this virtual one can't even play two.

I hope my frustration is understandable, given that these collections are not cheap. I bought the collection almost exclusively for the erhu, and perhaps I can accept some fault for not doing the research into its octave range. Still, I couldn't have anticipated that the instrument would be so impotent. It's really unacceptable.

Please, if there are any workarounds, let me know. If not, please at least let me know what the thought process was behind developing it with such a limited range. Thank you.

Comments

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,562 admin

Hi @Diyar welcome to the NI online community. We've got a couple of users asking the same question and the team said they've opted for recording more articulations, rather than including the extreme range. However thank you for sharing your feedback. I've tagged your post with feature request so we don't miss it. πŸ™

• Diyar
    Diyar Member Posts: 13 Member

Thank you for the response! I hope the team is able to make these improvements.

• zheezhay
    zheezhay Member Posts: 3 Member

Good afternoon, Diyar,

I also purchased the East Asia collection for a specific instrument (am also a KK-S61 user) and was surprised that there is an entire octave of unused keys, making it nearly impossible to access the articulation keys at the lower left hand side AND the upper octave of recorded sounds. (I can do it if I use two keyboards) Am also disappointed that I can't glide into an articulation in the middle of a note.

I reckon there are pretty severe limitations in trying to stuff all those articulations and sounds of so very many different instruments into one package of Collections, but this seems to me more like an error in programming.