Kontrol S-Series Mk3 Roadmap?

2»

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

Me too; been a card-carrying member since Komplete actually did have cards...we're talking about K2 days in 2004-ish. And there actually was a plastic credit-card sized thingie for Komplete. Fun days, but those were also the days when Native Instruments would never communicate with us lowly customers except when there was something new to sell.

Also, I just noticed that Komplete's 20 year anniversary would have been October-ish this year. It's hard to imagine that 9/11 was actually a couple years BEFORE Komplete became available.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Hey all!

We don't yet have a structured way of sharing a public roadmap.

I'm trying to keep people informed as best I can. I think for now, I'd refer you to this post:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/106282/#Comment_106282

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru

Probably best if you don't change them to Peach and Goma screens in that case.

• Jezric
    Jezric Member Posts: 56 Helper

Thanks Matt, I appreciate the little info you can give us, however, it's such a contrast to other software/hardware companies that openly share their plans and take pride in being forthcoming with their user base. It's a bummer to me that NI isn't willing to be more transparent about their plans/roadmap, it makes it seem as though there is no solid plan (which is quite alarming). I understand that there is strategy here and you're not going to broadcast that you're EOL'ing products that you still promote (ehem... Maschine?). In the absence of any sort of solid communication from the company, people are left to speculate based on the information they have, which can be quite off the mark and/or misleading to others doing light reading of such forum threads. So... I guess you guys are performing a balancing act of sorts eh?

Anyway, I appreciate any details you can provide. The KsMk3 is working well in my Ableton environment, which is fine at the moment, however being a heavy Maschine user I am faced with the uncomfortable feeling of being split between a workflow that I love (Maschine) and one that is more limited (at least in a standalone sense, i.e. APC, Push3, etc, etc,). So... I would LOVE to hear that KsMk3 integration and an update to the Machine platform will be coming soon... But I haven't heard anything about it. :( Or maybe I missed something?

• Jazzzy100
    Jazzzy100 Member Posts: 8 Member

Yea, I'm with you especially with regards to the absence of a functioning template editor. I read a response from a Native instruments rep on another post that they had to prioritize features to include prior to launch and template editing was not high on the list. What a dumb thing to say. Especially considering that their keyboards are tied into their ecosystem meaning custom templates when mapping to everything else in midi mode. Something they already know. I have lot of NI stuff hence the Smk3 but there's always going to be a time when you need to map to some other non NI plugin or synth. I was all geared up to spend a day updating my templates and move on but that's not going to happen. I really don't understand what they expect us to do with the editor they included. What a let down.

• Matthew_NI

We are planning continued updates to Maschine software and firmware in as well as Kontrol software and firmware throughout 2024.

As I've said elsewhere, the Kontrol MK3 firmware updates will include MIDI template editing, Play Assist standalone, Accessibility support, and some other new features I cannot talk about yet.

The Maschine forum is currently active in polling user feedback on a multitude of ideas, so I'd head over there to participate if so inclined. It might help change the narrative you're suggesting that Maschine is about to be EOL'd.

What I can say quite clearly is that there are no plans at present to bring back the Maschine to Kontrol integration.

• Matthew_NI

Hi! That's me, the dummy 😣

Almost 70% of what gets used with Kontrol keyboards is Kontakt instruments. Hence the focus on Direct Connection, which offers a huge upgrade for the majority use case.

MIDI template editing is still important, and is being implemented at the moment, with the goal of shipping early next year.

• xgman1
    xgman1 Member Posts: 26 Member

How about simple basic controller things like Ableton Live integration? Is it too hard just to make the big knob move the playhead for instance? What am I missing here? These sort of things have been solved for years. Why now so hard with this MK3? What's taking so long?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited December 2023

It does with my MkII, pretty sure MkIII already has Live integration (at least it is listed in Live controllers when I open up the setup page in Live)

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

I had to temporarily move my MK3 out of the home office to make room for a new ISP hookup...so I can't test right now. Or I would. Well, maybe if they delay me again through the Christmas holiday, I'll move it back and plug in for some testing.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

As I understand it, re-introducing many features that are present in Kontrol SMk2 and KK2 requires rebuilding them on a different technology foundation.

And this change in the technology foundation was necessary to start solving long-standing issues that prevented some desired features from even happening.

And now 2024 will be interesting as month by month, the new technology foundation bears fruit.

Any little hints of a roadmap that get out are very welcome!

• Matthew_NI

The Kontrol S MK3 supports Ableton Live, in case there was confusion about this.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

Yeah thought it did (going by what I can see in Settings)

• Jezric
    Jezric Member Posts: 56 Helper
    edited December 2023

I'm using it in Ableton with no problems (aside from the current KK3/VST3 issues and lack of custom control templates as pointed out earlier here and in other threads).

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/19981/arturia-v-plugins-gui-super-slow-in-latest-kk/p1

• xgman1
    xgman1 Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2023

Sorry, but other than basic midi function and transport, it does not "support" Ableton Live. Try turning the big knob and see what happens. Functions on several DAW's are basic at best compared to the MKL2. The MK3 should have waited to be ready for sale rather than rushed out as far as I'm concerned. Glad some are happy, but I'm not. I'm sorry I traded the MK2.

This discussion has been closed.