Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,408 Expert
    edited October 2023

The equation “YouTube reviewers = impartiality” is far from reality almost as much as “receiving free stuff = indifference”.

That’s something that can be real only in their introduction’s proclamations. I can count the ones I believe to when they are saying that on…well…maybe even 1 finger is too much in this case

• jori
    jori Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

I got the Kontrol S61 MK3 a couple days ago and I've been unable to even use the controller since when trying to register it, I get "An error occurred while processing your serial" error message. Without the registration I'm unable to download the Hardware Connection Service software.

• Has this happened to others?
    • Is there an alternate way to download it?
    • Do any know of a way to solve this?
  • Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod
  • gearjunkie
    gearjunkie Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2023

I think I can get past all the UI decisions, even if I might grumble about them, but what about the huge performance issues? Are these known bugs, or are the folks on this thread the only ones with the problems?

2.9.4 to 3 results in both dropouts on simple projects (3 instrument tracks) and a near doubling of compute an inefficiency somewhere. In addition, projects on Cubase now take a very long time to load if Komplete Kontrol 3 is installed and present on a project.

For now, I've reverted, this doesn't feel release-ready.

• laserbeak
    laserbeak Member Posts: 170 Helper

YES!

This is why I came here. I loaded up Massive X on the MK3, wanted to do some deeper editing so I turned to my monitor and was reminded of the fact that I have to scroll to see the synth.

Why???

• Oscar Morante
    Oscar Morante Member Posts: 71 Helper

@Matthew_NI I hope you had a great weekend with your family! Here's some hopefully constructive feedback after using the keyboard for a few days:

General use

• I don't share most of the criticism given here and for my own uses this product is nearly perfect. The transition from mk2 has been pretty smooth and 95% of the muscle memory still works.
    • I still miss switching tracks with a single press from the mixer (I mentioned this before in the AMA and it continues to matter to me after using it). I hope capacitive switching gets greenlit!
    • In mk2, pressing the previous/next buttons from the browser view would load the corresponding preset without switching to the plugin view. I used this a lot and I don't think it's possible at the moment, although the browser on the computer has a pin mode.
    • In mk2, using the keyswitches on a Kontakt instrument (e.g. Albion ONE) would show the articulation name for a short time on the keyboard's screen. This is no longer the case AFAICT.

Deep editing with NKS2 (tested with Diva)

This was one of the main reasons for me to upgrade. I've been using it mostly with Diva and I posted some feedback in u-he's forum. Some of the stuff that I think could be improved requires action on your side so I'm paraphrasing here for your convenience:

• It would be nicer if the first two parameters (Attack, Decay) of ENV2 were in the next page. Then you have all the controls for that envelope in the same place without having to change pages all the time.
    • When changing sections (e.g.: Filter to Envelopes), it would be nice if it would remember which subpage you're in. So you could for example change quickly between adjusting the filter modulation amount and ENV2 without a lot of paging around. I think that would accelerate editing substantially. Maybe pressing or holding the currently selected section button could jump to the first subpage of that section... or even better hold to set the current subpage as the "temporary home" for that section; then just pressing when that section is already active can jump to that one. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway great work! Looking forward to see more of this.

• nowiamone
    nowiamone Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited October 2023

Hello,

First, thanks for sharing information about those decisions, it’s nice to see such transparency!

Secondly, i'm not sure if your assessment about users who use custom presets being a "small minority" is based on actual usage data NI collected, or if it’s a guess. In any case, i have to make myself heard:

I am one of those people who can’t use the newest Komplete Kontrol Software, because it is breaking my workflow for me. My whole Music Production and Live Performance workflow is based on my huge customized user preset library within Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1.

Please, please do not impair the editing, saving/loading of user presets in any way, shape or form in future updates.

Actually, i was hoping that you would improve the experience of editing tags, and user preset categorization! Like a real proper Categorization editor with easy re-naming, and a better window overview for desktop monitors (scaleable)...

It also seems that, the newest KK Software, in Combination with K7 and other plugins often takes much longer loading times than ever before - this is a severe regression, too, which should please be fixed. The whole KK experience is about a smooth workflow, or should be. :)

Best, Philip

• sacer11
    sacer11 Member Posts: 57 Helper

everyone should test Komplete Kontrol 3 before buying a MK3 and should be aware that the software can be the weak point, if you have to load Komplete Kontrol + the Vst you want control on every track. Novation SL MK3 has same functions instead of the browser, so there is no software needed, that could influence your performance

• Marcin 112030
    Marcin 112030 Member Posts: 3 Member

Hello,

I have updated “Komplete Kontrol” to version 3. 0. 0 and when I open my saved project in FL Studio 21 and i am click “Komplete Kontrol VST” it turns out that the plugin that was opened in "Komplete Kontrol" plugin does not load i. e. it does not read a previously loaded and saved virtual instrument. "Komplete Kontrol" is empty. This is the case in every other project in which I used instruments opened via “Komplete Kontrol”.

Martin.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited October 2023

Secondly, i'm not sure if your assessment about users who use custom presets being a "small minority" is based on actual usage data NI collected, or if it’s a guess. In any case, i have to make myself heard:

Doesn't matter even if it is, this is a classic example of misinterpretation of statistics. Even if it is a ‘small minority’ a) it’s a small minority that has a huge impact on the rest of the user community and b) for those who do use it, it has a huge impact on their workflow, as you demonstrated yourself.

NI are planning to address this in a future update which is cool but I think the lesson is not to take such data at face value in future or allow it to justify unwise decisions

• Martin_NI
    Martin_NI Product Team Posts: 24 mod

Hey,  @Marcin 112030  ,

Komplete Kontrol 3 does not support VST2 any longer. So, when loading a new instance of Komplete Kontrol, please load either VST3, AUv2 or AAX.

We know some users are experiencing an issue loading old DAW projects with Komplete Kontrol 2 VST2 after updating to Komplete Kontrol 3. The issue occurs when the DAW does not support auto mitigation between VST2 and VST3. We aim to have a patch for this problem this week to fix the issue.

We recommend all Komplete Kontrol users start using the VST3 version instead of the VST2 of the plug-in, even if they are still using Komplete Kontrol 2, as this will allow for a smooth transition of DAW projects later when deciding to update.

• Martin_NI
    Martin_NI Product Team Posts: 24 mod

Hey  @Oscar Morante ,

Since Matt is still on vacation, I wanted to reply in the meantime.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope the first suggestion is accounted for by holding the shift button and pressing the right and left arrows on the keyboard. This allows you to move one parameter at a time instead of jumping pages, so you can decide what 8 parameters you want to be displayed at a time when deep editing.

The second point about remembering page location in the groups would also be helpful when navigating. I will bring this back to the rest of the team and see how we can best implement this workflow.

• Azara Prod
    Azara Prod Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

How can I revert? I can not find the previous version anywhere.

I have 400+ tracks in my template (I compose for Movies and TV)

Using a maxed out M1 MAX 64 GB RAM. And it chokes the computer with only a couple of instances of KKv3.

Plus... My previous projects are not opening, only when my KKS88 keyboard is turned of, once it's loaded, I can turn it back on...

What the hell???

I want the 2.9 version back. Immediatelly.

This discussion has been closed.