Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• Riffraff
    Riffraff Member Posts: 2 Member

This product is decades old at this point. The feedback should be nothing new or unexpected

you don’t even need to be a musician to get it. It’s a BROWSER. UI is literally the only thing they need to get right. It’s not music specific

• sacer11
    sacer11 Member Posts: 57 Helper

Since beginning of this year I have experienced extreme long loading times, opening several new NI updates.

Following products take up to 2 minutes to open the Plugin and also Standalone Version.

I bet it's a copy protection.

Now I have downgraded to older versions to fix these slow loading times. Now every NI product opens fast in 3 seconds again.

Maschine 2 from 2.17 to 2.16.1

Komplete Kontrol from 3.0 to 2.8.0

Guitar Rig from 6.4 to 6.3

Battery 4 from 4.3 to 4.2

I also have rolled back the libraries for Kontakt 6 - so I can stay with Kontakt 6.

so I need Kontakt 7 only to to prove if future releases will address this issue.

i have now a fast system back and won’t update to newer versions.

The current loading time, if you compare 3 seconds with 2 minutes - it’s a real big, big advantage and I am really happy now. Best Feature so far.

I am happy that i sold my S49 Mk2 - the opening time of the plugin was responsible for the sell, but also SCANAPP is a big disaster, if you have more than 1000 Plugins, each with VST2 and VST3. If Scanapp hangs, it wants to scan every time Again. Also some already Scanned Plugins like Izotope are scanned every Startup again. Komplete Kontrol is a total mess if you have many Plugins. I also have a lot of NKS patches from https://freelancesoundlabs.com/ and would use Komplete Kontrol 2.8 only to browse and explore some sounds with the preview / prelisten function. In ableton it's much faster to bound 8 to 16 parameters to a rack and controll it with Push3.

it’s really nice to see how fast my ableton projects are opening now again. Especially when I had used some different plugins like Maschine and battery together.

When i tried Komplete Kontrol 3 i had to wait one minute, till the Plugin opens up in Ableton and an other minute untill KK3 has loaded a Battery 4 Preset - That was the reason to downgrade all these Plugins and now everything runs smooth.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod

"have more than 1000 Plugins"

For such a huge number, 1-2 minute scanning is very normal. But only as first scan. If scanning goes on like that every time you open KK, then it is a problem. However, keep in mind that if you change (update, location change, add new plugin etc.) your plugins all the time, they will be re-scanned by any application/DAW, not just KK.

"i tried Komplete Kontrol 3 i had to wait one minute, till the Plugin opens up"

It is probably because it re-scan your user library every time, because you have this option enabled:

This applies to Maschine too.

"I have downgraded to older versions"

Unless you have a real problem (such as incompatibility), downgrading is usually a bad practice. But, if you have to downgrade anyway, then you should use the latest available. For example, for KK it is 2.9, not 2.8. You are loosing a lot of improvements or new features (or both). ;-)

• sacer11

NI has integrated a new copy protection or something else. Since the beginning of the year all new updates like Kontakt 7, Battery 4, Guitar Rig 6 and Maschine2 and Komplete Kontrol are now taking 3 minutes to open the plugin on Standalone and as Plugins in every DAW. So also KK 2.9 takes this long loading time. I was in contact with support and we have fasten up the loading time of these Plugins by deleting some XML files, like the Korg Gadget NKS. This action has fasten up the loading time from 3 to only one Minute.

The downgraded Versions, are the only Versions which are opening fast on my system, every later version takes now a minute to show up in Ableton. Thats a real workflow killer. So with these older Versions I am fine and can workaround, if load a project and there is no sound, because the project was saved with an newer version.

The Problem with these loading times, have more users on Mac and Win :

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/9538/kontakt-7-very-very-long-to-launch/p1

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,081 Expert
    edited October 2023

@Sunborn

"For such a huge number, 1-2 minute scanning is very normal. But only as first scan. If scanning goes on like that every time you open KK, then it is a problem. However, keep in mind that if you change (update, location change, add new plugin etc.) your plugins all the time, they will be re-scanned by any application/DAW, not just KK."

I can 100% challenge this observation and I do not have 1000 plugins and I am using KK 2.9.4 AND scanning takes easily 2-3mins EVERY TIME.

I can fire up KK standalone - stand back for at least 2 minutes wait (painfully) as the scan grinds away - including my absolute favorite part of any scan where KK scans at least 18 copies of the Microsoft WebView2 Runtime control - which we all know plays a giant role in our composing lives. Do not remember clicking any options to scan that piece of ****** - but there it is - getting scanned.

When this is finally over - I use KK for a minute or two and then shut it down. Then fire it back up and the scan takes 2 minutes. I never ever moved a plugin, a plugin location (and rarely add anything new) but one thing I can count on is ScanApp burning my life away.

The real slap in the face is when I then use KK in Studio One - regardless of what came before - a standalone scan 1 minute ago or a standalone scan one month ago - I drag KK into a session and it opens in 1.5ms. I load any instrument and off I go.

Whatever this ScanApp is doing - it's not copy protection and it is clearly pointless (I am looking at you WebView 2) - especially in standalone AND especially after a scan has already taken place.

Standalone should open in 1.5ms as well after a known good scan.

But that's for another day...

VP

• Keirmeister
    Keirmeister Member Posts: 1 Member

I've had to downgrade KK back to 2.9.4.

I moved a few months ago and once I got to plugging my studio back up, I did the usual updates, etc. Well, first song started giving me memory I/O errors after I loaded it in Logic. I tried a few other pieces and got the same behavior. Checking these forums, I saw people mentioning the same behavior with KK 3, so I took another one of my songs and removed the KK-based instruments and everything played fine.

Maybe I just needed a clean install? Well, I just upgraded to a Mac Studio and did a clean install of everything, including KK 3. I still got the errors.

So I downgraded KK to 2.9.4 and now all of my music plays just fine.

• sacer11

It's not the pluigin Scan from Standalone. It's the loading if you open the plugin in your DAW. Also Battery 4 and Guitar Rig 6 and Kontakt 7 take one Minute to open the plugin, while Kontakt 6 needs 3 seconds to show up in the DAW.

Guitar Rig 6 was opening fast until last update 6.4, so I downgraded to 6.3 and it opens fast again. I've done the same with batter 4. I downgraded to 4.2 but it has no VST3. So i updated again to 4.3 and have changed the old 4.2 VST. Now VST3 takes a minute to open the Plugin and VST2 takes 3 seconds.

I also tried out last updates from Komplete Kontrol and Maschine and have experienced that Komplete Kontrol 2.8 and Maschine 2.16.1 are the latest Versions that open the Plugins in the DAW very fast in seconds in the DAW and all Version after these Releases take one Minute to open the Plugin, which is a real workflow killer. So I'll stick to these old Versions. I am going mad, if I have tro wait one minute, until a simple plugin has loaded. I only have kept Kontakt 7 to latest Version, so I can try newer updates, if this issue gets anytime fixed. Maybe it's a DRM Copyprotections Scan or something else, NI has updated in 2023

I have downgraded my Kontakt libraries so that I can use everything from Komplete 14 CE with Kontakt 6

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

More Feedback:

80% of Arturia prodicts from V9 Collection are not avialable in KK3 for me from a fresh install. Reinstall of individual products has been done in a couple, and no luck. Now trying reinstall of everything.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
  • Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,081 Expert

Had this happen (specifically) with Arturia on KK 2 as well a while back.

Needed to add in the VST2 versions into the mix addition to VST3.

I think this is more of an Arturia thing than a KK thing.

VP

• Vagus
  • Vagus

Fun bug:

I currently have to chose between Arturia or Dawesone/Audio Damage plugins.

Turning off override scaling for App on Windows displays Arturia plugins correctly

But then Dawesone/Audio Damage plugins don't scale correctly.

• graoully
    graoully Member Posts: 4 Member

Totally agree. I went back to 2.9.4, release V3 is completely unusable.

• graoully
    graoully Member Posts: 4 Member

I'm really disappointed. Years ago I had some trouble with NI products and the support team helped me very efficiently. Same thing for Kemper guys, I thought that's for sure the "deutsche qualität". Nothing to compare with Focusrite support, a real mess (sorry UK mates).

I'm afraid time as changed. Penny-wise and pound foolish due to globalisation ? I'm afraid NI reputation might suffer from this failure.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro

I am confused about how all the youtube content creators that NI sent test units seemed to paint such a different (quite positive) picture of their experience with the hardware and software - to say nothing of the fact that they were all using only a beta version of 3.0. Am I missing something? Because of all those reviews, I was going to upgrade.

What changed? I don't recall any of the reviewers talking about having to update the firmware for hours, either, and so did NI update all the gear before sending? I am just curious because the way this rollout is unfolding does not make any sense. I feel almost gob smacked by it.

I mean to say that I am a textbook "early adopter" and install beta's and release candidates for anything I can get my hands on just for the sake of something new and enjoyable to poke around in. So the fact that I un-installed 3.0 so quickly after anticipating it for so long speaks volumes. Because I know I am no different from thousands of other users. I guess it was because I felt the only thing NEW was the removal of everything that I was hoping to see IMPROVED. 😒

This discussion has been closed.