Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

It will always be the case that doing some things means we didn't do others, and those that want those other things will speak up.

If anything, I think the issue in the past has been a lack of continuous development, which I'm certainly hoping to fix.

• Matthew_NI

I have not said a word about wanting to alienate anyone.

I have however laid out the initial prioritization, and the things we intend to work on next.

Hopefully, people are able to read those posts of mine, and engage in a dialogue about that roadmap. The passion of our users is incredible, even when it borders on the aggression you've noted. It's why I wanted to join the team, and why I'm here now.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

A change to my rough KK3.1 mockup browser/audition window..

This change extends the simplified horizontal Instrument panel completely across the bottom. This would keep the this panel consistent in size as the user might want to slide the mid-section left to right to show either more libraries or columns of found presets..

• SF_Green
    SF_Green Member Posts: 36 Member

Wow, glad I came here to read up on the new version before installing KK3. No way will I install it until the many issues and broken and missing features are fixed. I envision being on KK2 for quite some time.

• spindizzy
    spindizzy Member Posts: 50 Helper

I'd suggest you only got those answers because of the way you asked the questions.

I've responded to NIs 'user surveys' in the past and they were far from open ended, they usually provided lists of what you thought we could select from as users. It's an incredibly poor way to get feedback as it predetermines the results. It's also bad to plan software from feature requests anyway as users are not UX experts generally and cannot be expected to design the fixes.

What you should have been doing is identifying the pain points (users are good at this) and then engineering solutions based on the plethora of interface research that is out there in the wild.

What you have provided breaks all the major UX rules and is, frankly, a garbage interface that gets in the way of users trying to be creative.

This is my day job for the past 30 years so this is not someone just poking up an opinion. You seriously need to hire some UX talent, not designers as they're not qualified but actual UX experts.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

In the political world at least, current politicians, governments and leaders are always lambasted for the perceived or otherwise, wrongdoings of the past incumbents. I feel for you @Matthew_NI and hope that your current enthusiasm and expertise rides out the storm and that both your team and NI can continue to make progress.

I have to say that at this point in my NI "journey" I will be investigating other avenues of workflow moving forward that aren't so reliant upon NI hardware (or software for that matter).

Take care and best wishes

Hywel

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,773 mod
    edited October 2023

Though i like a lot the new interface and i don't care so much about application resizing, i must say that, the ability to edit and tag our own presets (at least) is imperative!

In fact, it is one of the main reasons that i bought my KK S49 MK2, instead of buying some other controller from another manufacturer. Fixing this ASAP and giving to users more freedom on edit, would be highly appreciated. :-)

Note: My impression is that, the new generation of programmers are maybe excellently qualified, but they have a really small idea (if at all), what a music creator, a music lover, etc. really needs. Their approach is almost totally "technocratic" rather than artistic. I think you need to bring a little balance to this by hiring few artists-programmers too... ;-)

• Matthew_NI

You're describing the differences between best and bad practices, which I agree with.

Similarly, I don't put much stock in the user surveys I've seen. What you describe as what we should have been doing is exactly what we have been doing (and only a small piece of what we've been doing).

Some things are subjective, and matters of opinion. Some things are a function of where we're headed. But overall, I do believe where we're headed to be ultimately a better place.

• Matthew_NI

Almost the entire team are what you refer to as artist programmers. Your impression is yours, but it's not an accurate reflection of the team.

As you've hopefully seen in my posts - I agree that tag editing is important, and it's pretty high on the list of next priorities.

• Matthew_NI

I'd like to repost again a summary of the main feedback, and next steps.

• We've made a major tech transition, partly to allow for us to build more things users want (e.g. resizing)
    • We have not yet brought everything forward, and where not, I've explained why (e.g. prioritize the most used features first, and then continuously improve). I don't expect that all users necessarily like the prioritization, but all deserve to hear the explanations I'm providing. We're all human, but I think there are constructive ways to exchange facts and feelings, and thank those of you who're doing so.
    • The main complaints as of now are:
      • RESIZING:
        • What: we have transitioned to a UI framework that allows us to support HiDPI and resizing. We focused on supporting host content resizing, as this was the most hotly requested feature.
        • Feedback: users also want to see browser resizing, and KK shell resizing.
        • What next: we plan to take on browser resizing as a next priority (Kontakt 7 already does this). KK shell resizing remains an open question, as there are interdependencies with the host content, which itself already resizes.
      • BROWSING:
        • What: we implemented the new visual browser seen in Kontakt 7
        • Feedback: some users use the browser to organize samples they then drag/drop into hosted content (e.g. a granular sampler) and are no longer able to do so.
        • What next: we plan to add a way to import samples from the new browser into host content
      • SCANAPP:
        • Feedback: some users are reporting hangs or crashes with specific content. Note that we tested with 10s, 100s, 1000s of products, but the variables are exponential, and issues can occur.
        • What next: we will look at the bugs filed against specific reports, and also some general improvements (e.g ability to exclude from list).
      • MEMORY USAGE:
        • What: the new Qt user interface framework unlocks a lot of possibilities (some already realized, like scaling and resizing) but is more memory intensive than previous (which was fixed bitmaps).
        • Feedback: some users are reporting an increase in memory usage too great for their needs
        • What next: we will continue to profile and reduce memory where possible - this is not one specific thing, but a general effort you can look for in release notes
      • TAGGING:
        • What: we implemented the new visual browser seen in Kontakt 7
        • Feedback: since the new browser does not yet support the full user tagging workflow, people who make use of this tag editing capability (especially on behalf of preset communities) are stuck on KK 2.9 until support is added
        • What next: we plan to add tag editing capabilities and eliminate the regression in the coming months.

Note that despite my transparency, the one thing I'm not at liberty to say is exactly when each feature mentioned above (and others that crop up) will ship, just yet. But what I can say is that the browser resizing, scanapp and memory topics are things we're starting work on this year, amidst other topics specific to the new keyboard (Play Assist on device, MIDI templates on device, Accessibility support).

• Matthew_NI

Posting the above ^^^ as it's cyclically lost. It would appear to capture the bulk of the feedback raised.

• Thusis
    Thusis Member Posts: 37 Newcomer

You start on working this year? Shouldnt that be: start on working now? How are you‘re developers organised? Do they exclusively work on Kontrol Software or do they need switch and code on different applications?

• Matthew_NI

Some we're already working on, some we're starting soon as we wrap other things up. It's a rolling progression.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

Hey Matt - I can't edit my original post, but if You guys want to add this into my first post, I'm happy for you to do so.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

@Matthew_NI shared:

BROWSING:What: we implemented the new visual browser seen in Kontakt 7

Feedback: some users use the browser to organize samples they then drag/drop into hosted content (e.g. a granular sampler) and are no longer able to do so.

What next: we plan to add a way to import samples from the new browser into host content

@Matthew_NI ... anything to say about browsing feedback with regards to seeing found presets and active instrument at the same time on desktop GUI?

I believe there has been significant negative feedback about how the browser closes when you click on a preset and you jump to a new window with just the active instrument. This makes auditioning found presets more difficult in the desktop environment.

Is there some underlying technical reason doing this would be difficult?

This discussion has been closed.