Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

That's what I'd expect.

Assign KK3 to a DAW vocal audio track.....select iZotope Nectar..... twiddle smart-assigned parameter knobs.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

I wouldn't anticipate this happening in Komplete Kontrol.

However, Native Access 2 added some basic discovery and purchase mechanisms earlier this year.

• Matthew_NI

We're all human - some of what's been said in this forum thread has been explicitly vitriolic at the expense of either myself (fine) or my team (not fine). I appreciate the clarification though! It also allows me to clarify that I'm a user myself, even of some of the features not yet brought forward, and can directly empathize with the frustration. I/we all wanted more sooner.

Which leads to your question: why did we release KK so "unfinished"? I use quotes only as that's a somewhat subjective term, even if I understand where you're coming from. If NI has not been forthcoming about why, or what next (or worse, what next with no follow through), it's this I'm trying to rectify. That's what I'm attempting to do here: explain things so that they may be understood, even if unpopular. I don't expect my presence to smooth anything over, particularly not until some of the features are advanced.

We knew some of the initial changes would be controversial, even if temporary, during our beta process. When undergoing a tech transition, finding the right balance of what to bring forward as the first, second, third priority and so on, involves hard decisions across a regularly active user base that's multiple six to seven figures in size. We could debate what former glory means, but certainly, I hope the investments we've made in the last 1.5 years since I joined the team will begin to pay off. VST3, Apple Silicon are one thing, but now we've new frameworks on which to build and expand resizing, other few features, and so on etc etc.

• Matthew_NI

"There is communication in place and it is really appreciated"

That's my goal here.

Baffled by this smooth alter ego I've been ascribed 🤯

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited October 2023

It needs audio in though, and to be seen by the host to allow audio input it needs to have an effect version. It is possible in the VST3 spec to have both a effect and instrument version within the same plugin though but most devs don't use that option as many hosts seem to get confused by it.

• pbthrash
    pbthrash Member Posts: 58 Member

I reported a bug in older Komplete Kontrol and now there is 3.0 version and bug, even if smaller, still exist.

DO NOT TRUST Komplete Kontrol!

Here is an example - eight sounds. First four are from Monark loaded in Komplete Kontrol with some knobs changed and then rendered. Then I saved project and re-open it. Sounds from 5-8 are how they sound after project re-load.

Previous version was much worse - sound was different much more. But I expected fix so after project reload, it will be restored perfect, not approximately.

For those who want to ask (unnecessary) questons:

1. It doesn't matter what DAW it is - DAW is a midless beast - it only store all parameters from plugin and after project reloading - send them back to the plugin. Rest (restoring proper knob parameters) is plugin job.
    2. It doesn't matter if I save my preset or not - synths supposed to ignore preset completely and save just parameters (and preset name - but only to display it later). So I don't even check if saving preset is some kind of a solution. Even if it would be - it makes project much harder to move to another computer.
    3. Windows version here, I don't check Mac version but I assume works similar.

• Matthew_NI

I'm glad our support of that community fosters a shared sense of pride.

I get your point, but I do think some might read this as an attack, however unintentional.

Two things:

1. It's about equitable, not equal treatment. Where one community faces more barriers than another, extra prioritization may be given to ensure equitable access where equal access isn't enough.
    2. We've thousands upon thousands of users using accessibility mode(s) each month. So even if bullet #1 wasn't philosophically applicable, bullet #2 means that very literally, some of the power user type features are used less by all, then other features are by the visually impaired.

Since this all gets into a very confusing prioritization dance full of interdependencies, let me also just say this:

• We wanted to launch Accessibility support for the new Kontrol S MK3 keyboards at launch. But once a decision was taken to deliver Accessibility support via the new NI Accessibility Helper App that Maschine uses, it became clear it would finish in time. So unfortunately, KK3 may support the pre-existing Accessibility settings, but the new keyboard won't until early next year. We're being very forthcoming about this.
    • We are well aware that the preset tagging regressions (you'll have read about it on this thread) impede the ability of some folk like Freelance Sound Labs to continue to create user presets used, in many cases by Accessibility users. So they're stuck with using KK 2.9 until we fix that. This is also a priority for these reasons. It would be great if we can land both simultaneously.
  • Matthew_NI

Sort of, yes.

We'd need to sort through a set of (solvable) nuances regarding track types (e.g. if KK is on a MIDI track, loading an FX to start the chain does nothing).

It's not that finding ways to deliver better FX hosting is insurmountable, it's that we've not prioritized it yet.

• Matthew_NI

Wow! There's a name I haven't talked to in a while. I just checked... my last email to John was in 2014 (when I worked for iZotope). Sure, it doesn't hurt to reach out and say hello again, which I'll do.

• Matthew_NI

Exactly - that's what I'd expect to.

On a personal level, I want to see this as I'd use it. On a professional level, I can tell you it's on the backlog, but a little buried, so not yet high enough up that we'd likely do this in the next 6 months.

• Home Studio
    Home Studio Member Posts: 71 Member
    edited October 2023

UAD Waterfefall B3 Organ & Electra 88 Vintage Keys crash Komplete Kontrol till the beta 1 and the Komplete Kontrol v1.0.0 (just came out....) Load a NKS preset... crah.... Load plugin from Komplete Kontrol plugin menu... crash. never had crash with 2.9.4 version

Please......

• Kymeia

Sorry I'm not seeing that here. I made the NKS for these but didn't make any for Electra 88 as I don't have that so do you mean you just loaded the plugin?

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,407 Expert
    edited October 2023

Well…in some way IT WAS an attack, but eventually against NI decisions, for sure not against visually impaired users ☺️

But with the “equitable vs equal treatment” you completely owned me. Good answer!

• Home Studio
    Home Studio Member Posts: 71 Member
    edited October 2023

I've NKS for all UAD Instruments and Waterfall and Electra 88 crash KK everytime I load a NKS and even if I just load this plugin from the KK plugin menu

I'm on WIN 11

• Kymeia
    edited October 2023

I'm on M1 Mac so I guess this may be a Win (or Intel) thing. Where did you get the NKS for the 88? That one is not in the NKS User Library but I have had several people ask me about it so it would be good to be able to add it.

This discussion has been closed.