Mapping ouput signals to Numark ndx 900 controller

Options
Mlander
Mlander Member Posts: 5 Member
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

Hi. I'm further developing, hence improving the midi controller settings (in Traktor) with my two Numark ndx 900. It works really well!

I wonder if anyone could help me finding out the midi-mapping addresses for some of the ndx900s LEDs? I.e. OUTPUT signals FROM TRAKTOR.

I have figured out most of the input adresses (i.e. from controller to TRAKTOR) since that can easily be found out with the teach-in function simply prsssing buttons or turning knobs. But receiving addresses for output signals from TRAKTOR to LEDs is more tricky to map up..

THIS IS MY MAIN QUESTION: In particular, I wish to find out the OUTPUT keys to be set in the Traktor CONTROLLER EDITOR to control (activate/de-activate) the four LEDs surrounding the Pitch button - representing the 6%, 12%, 25% and 100% pitch ranges - on the Numark ndx900 controller. Can you help?

(Numark couldn't but recommended me to try reverse-engineer the controller's firmware - I tried to do so but that seems to be a bit above my capabilities.)

Crossing my fingers.

Best Answer

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,670 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try these midi messages. Seems to be linked to multi mode button in the default mapping for this unit.

Answers

• Stevan
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try these midi messages. Seems to be linked to multi mode button in the default mapping for this unit.

• Mlander
    edited January 2023
    Options

Great! So thankful! CC.033 addresses the group of four I was looking for. You helped me looking for the needle in a haystack!! <3

(I'll take it from there and test further in order to make ONE led light up per pitch-setting instead of all four :-D

I think I have an idea... Will try later when I have time. Call u all back to confirm the full solution)

Thanks again!

• Stevan
    Options

Awesome! Let us know how it goes. Currently it sounds like you will need a modifier which tells which controller range values should be passed trough.

• Mlander
    edited January 2023
    Options

All fixed to perfection :-D

(RE: Well yes partly, modifier helped.)

The message to the LEDs is based on the output of the "mofify pich range" (or similar) fuction in the controller manager of TRAKTOR.

All four leds have the same midi.adress the ch 01-CC033 as mentioned in previous chat contributions.

The key to success was/is to "filter the ouput signal" so that only one of the four LEDs is lit up when a certain pitch range is selected.

By setting the "Controller range" ("from"-parameter as well as "to") to the corresponding step in the drop down curtain of Traktor's setting (i.e. 4to 4, for +/- 6%, 5 to 5 for 8%, 7 to 7 for 12% etc), you actually define at what setting i Traktor your LED in the controller shoud react at all..

Then, define WHICH of the four LEDs to light up by setting th MIDI range for the first (6% branded)-led to 0 to 1, the second to 0 to 2, third to 0 to 3 and fourth LED adresses with 0 to 4 in the MIDI range.

In teoriy, in my head, this should work for all four of them, but only did for two or three out of four LEDs! The problem with the remaining two was that the light dis not stay on. It only quickly flashed..(Weird?)

So this is where the modifier came in..! I set a modifier (one pf M1 to M8, in my case I chose M4) to as a cycle, step up from 0 to 3 (four steps) and then return to value 0.

Value 0 when the first pitch range (written as 6%) was selected, ... value 3 when the fourth alternative on the controller's cyclic selection was set (think one needs to KNOW the button design of the Numark ndx800/900 to dully understand me here..)

Finally, by adding a modifier-value conditon to each message, saying that the LED nr 1 will only light up if my modifier has value 0, ..1...2.. and LED nr 4 when modifier value is 3, I got rid of the flashing and got the steady light I wanted!

Case closed!

Thanks again for giving me the right target key/address, stevan!