M1 maschine instances on host DAW

6xes
6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
edited November 2022 in Maschine

Im curious as to how many instances of the maschine VST3 plugin can be run simultaneously, with audio playing different songs..

Has someone tested this in their Host Daw??

would also love to know from any reaper users how well that test runs before reaching its the limitation of what a M1 mac mini or M1 mac pro etc can handle

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited November 2022

Depends on how much and what stuff you have in each instance... And at what buffer size but I'd say that for the most common scenarios (Samples, Drums, etc...) the answer is: More than one would ever need.

I have the lowest tier M1, the 2020 with 8GB of Ram.

I started loading all the Kits/Groups from the Maschine 2 lib in order, one in each instance, with an audio buffer of 64 using the internal soundcard I gave up when I reached 17 instances. Ableton shows 16% of CPU usage with everything playing at the same time, no stuttering or audio glitches and I'm running in Rosseta mode, once Apple Silicon support works for all plugs and we can actually use it then performance should be better.

So... IDK I could probably have around 50 instances of Maschine-Plug I guess.. The usage does increase to around 30% when nothing is playing which is very odd but still more than enough I'd say.

Here:

BTW iStats says I am using the GPU cores more than the actual CPU, probably because I have 17 plugin windows open, which is sort of silly but it was just to stress the computer.

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

excellent thank you for testing that out....appreciated!!

i did wonder about the 8gb version m1 Mac mini, and going by your test... it seems more than sufficient to handle audio for what i have in mind,

and so far,

Reaper can run Natively with M1

Maschine is supposedly now natively running on M1 - minus some plugins which would prevent loading of some kits/groups

The 2 main FX plugins i use has M1 native support(Shaperbox2 & infiltrator)

just a matter of a getting the M1 mac mini at the right price(2nd hand) *winks

• D-One

No prob, since reaper is basically free if you want a project tested just DM me.

I can't really have much of a valid opinion on if the 8Gb is enough when you start using lots of Kontakt instruments and such, I don't use the M1 laptop for music production.

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

@D-One

there is something that i would love to get sorted... not sure how to go about this in all honesty

As i dont currently have access to a M1 Mac as of yet... and its going to be a big learning curve when i do eventually get a hold of one...

the need to transfer a couple of Reaper templates from my Windows 10 computer over to a Apple Mac m1 is going to be the challenge for me...as i know nothing about doing this sort of thing..

or whether this will all have to be recreated from scratch on the M1?

How would one go about trying to transfer templates whether its reaper or Maschine for that matter? is it even possible given different file systems, file naming conventions etc... i havent even looked into this side of things yet lol.

Sounds like a big headache just thinking about it LOL

• 6xes
    edited November 2022

Another thought about the whole transition... is the external software i use in order for many of the functions within the reaper Template to work.

Programs likes Bomes midi Translator pro, Voicemeter potato... may trip me up when transitioning... and whether an alternative exists with the same functionality that voicemeter provides.

As both of my Reaper templates do not use a Master track... rather i route the outputs to Voicemeter potato and that acts as the master mixer for Reaper as well as for Maschine standalone... it is quite the unorthodox setup LOL

(i suppose i could just add the master as the last in the chain & adjust the templates to suit)

• D-One
    edited November 2022

the need to transfer a couple of Reaper templates from my Windows 10 computer over to a Apple Mac m1 is going to be the challenge for me...as i know nothing about doing this sort of thing..

or whether this will all have to be recreated from scratch on the M1?

I don't think so, you should be fine.

I've only tried windows to mac and vice versa on simpler projects but everything always kind of worked, both for Maschine and my DAW, this was before VST3 so not sure how it is now. Having the ability to switch OS is one of the reasons I'd never use Logic for example.

How would one go about trying to transfer templates whether its reaper or Maschine for that matter? is it even possible given different file systems, file naming conventions etc... i havent even looked into this side of things yet lol.

For Maschine it's just a matter of using the "Save Project With Samples" to get around the filesystem stuff, I reckon Reaper must have a similar project consolidation feature.

Programs likes Bomes midi Translator pro, Voicemeter potato... may trip me up when transitioning... and whether an alternative exists with the same functionality that voicemeter provides.

There's Bomes for Mac and your mappings should be compatible, you might just need to adjust the HW port's names. I am not aware of an equivalent to that voice meter thing that emulates a HW mixer quite that like but there's some similar options like AudioHijack or the more advanced stuff Ginger Audio makes altho their purpose is not quite to replace a DAW's mixer.

As both of my Reaper templates do not use a Master track... rather i route the outputs to Voicemeter potato and that acts as the master mixer for Reaper as well as for Maschine standalone... it is quite the unorthodox setup LOL

(i suppose i could just add the master as the last in the chain & adjust the templates to suit)

Well... That does seem a bit convoluted tbh, you can do all that in DAW.