Maschine+ Power Bank guide

Comments

• el-bo
    el-bo Member Posts: 61 Member
    edited October 3

Thanks! It's definitely an interesting option, but still a little expensive for me.

But I hadn't realised that 100w chargers were usable. And since you previously mentioned a Charmast 65W charger, I wondered if this 100W version would also be suitable (Currently on a pretty sweet deal).

I looked on the Charmast website but I'm guessing it's an older model, so can't find the specs

Edited post to add: The specs are actually on the Amazon page 😊 15V-3A is there, so good to go?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charmast-23800mAh-Delivery-Portable-Compatible/dp/B08ML1PHB2/ref%3Dsr_1_3?crid=13E380GE3OJDH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mtPP_F4eesAiFzeYNLJds_284fOYmyjqb9JfDbVMFr8QSLuMBdyWcJCdTY98dhTeF2ILxyxbRRzpPZZBOsZu2lrepOb54sgVAPLIh-Rwso6jRIdbTvu7JudTmCrWmQ7-x29MI_OPmnRVYDU8UmP4XkYHs6W9cvQHZ2oHTOpGobxXt1IUcwELVVpioea7PQKHDxLtjE4iFMNuCzYPKPmeqSUC4_Rr6q1ZIqMcM7t6OAs.nGoGQYqm7N2CK1lahLmv0kLTVP704Bwn9fZkBXuGxDg&dib_tag=se&keywords=charmast+100w&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1727955617&sprefix=charmast+100%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,617 Expert
    edited October 3

Chargers with a higher wattage are fine. The connected device only takes what it needs.

Example: If you plug a 100W lamp into a socket, it takes 100W. You could also plug in a 40W lamp and it will use 40W. The 40W lamp will not explode because it's connected to a socket that can provide more watts.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,225 mod
    edited October 4

Yeah, I have some stuff from them and never had issues, I wouldn't distrust Anker for it as they seem have dealt with the situation correctly but I wouldn't buy those models from Amazon or any 3rd party as the old stock may contain affected units; I'd buy directly from Anker.

Intel is a massive company and didn't recall their expensive CPU's that got damaged due to their faulty code for example, it's OK to make mistakes, it's about how the company handles it.

It's written in the very first post.

It's negotiated between the two, the cable has a chip that asks for 15V and the powerbank has to be able to send it.

• PK The DJ
    edited October 4

"Chargers" in general with a higher Voltage are def not fine!!

I said WATTAGE not voltage! I used the word "charger" because el-bo did. It's not wrong. Powerbanks are used for charging. They could also be called batteries.

I also talked about lamps (as a simple explanation) - no mention of LEDs. I've now changed to the word "device". Maybe I won't get a negative response now.

FYI I've worked as as an electronics test, fault finding and repair technician for most of my working life. You don't need to offer patronising explanations.

• D-One

That's on me. You're right, I was wrong… I apologize for the way I spoke.

• BigPictureSound
    BigPictureSound Member Posts: 72 Helper

Sorry to quote an old comment but I need to ask why the cable he used that you pointed out to be a risk is also the cable you link to on the first post. Did a link change? I was scanning comments and can't see if you updated your original thread from 2022 to include a different model cable (now the current link).

The cable you link says it can push 20v at 3 amps. It also says it has a chip in it that regulates/negotiates device draw.

I bought this cable and looking for advice. Thank you!

• PK The DJ

I suspect those originally posted Amazon links may now be linking to the wrong products. As you say, one's 20V and the other is 12V.

• BigPictureSound
    BigPictureSound Member Posts: 72 Helper
    edited October 6

Seems so. Is there a cable you may recommend in place of the aforementioned? Although this entire thing seems more risky by the minute with all these shady Alibaba flippers and no USB-C regulatory bodies. Maybe I am destined to be tethered to the wall, lol.

Perhaps you would also be able to help me interpret the following description from the cable's amazon page description

USB-C 5.5 2.5 PD Adapter - Built-in with PD & E-mark intelligence chip which can adjust current automatically , this reliable conductivity and stable charging current will make the USB-C power cord strong enough to support max 5A current 20V voltage go through for 100W PD fast charger to DC 5.5MM x 2.5 barrel ( 5.5 x 2.5mm ) jack plug and compatible with 18W 30W 45W 65W 90W etc. power delivery PD rapid charge.

Thanks for the help!

• D-One
    edited October 7

@BigPictureSound :

Thanks, not really sure how Amazon links work long-term, It's as PK said.

I edited and corrected it, it should point to the 15V ones by default now but always double check. Later i'll add some more recent powerbanks and cables people have linked.

You dont want the cable chip to fully negotiate like normal PD, you want one that asks for a single fixed voltage of 15V. While ("true") PD negotiates voltages and whatnot when both the charger and device have PD with the M+ it is a hacky approach, since it not a PD device at all. That cable where the link changed is might be aimed at true PD devices and chargers (?), like used for charging modern laptops and such, thats exactly what to avoid in our case.

This is important to understand because:

If a user has other devices with a 5.5 x 2.5 mm connector that are not 15V you can't use the cable that works for the M+, it wont negotiate anything, it will just ask for those 15V, so if the device is say 9V or something it may fry…

Best place to buy depends on where you live, due to shipping and whatnot, if you're in the US this should be good to go:
    https://www.amazon.com/compatible-Charger-Portable-outdoor-travel/dp/B0CY9957Y6/

• PK The DJ
    edited October 7

@BigPictureSound the cable I use is branded WITRN and is fairly commonplace now.

I'm sure I posted a link back when I first got it, but here's another: Link to WITRN 15V cable

• el-bo

Just seen this bargain for Prime day. Only thing is that I can't find any more detail than is listed to tell whether this is a viable option:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/imuto-Portable-Charging-27000mAh-Powerbank/dp/B0BWXMLR8Y/ref=sr_1_19?crid=YYEXGCBMS4V0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pDYwPWBGyKW_tRZhiI-Mv3NhyBuNuEpBJ8cDZ7oSBIGGxUHGWvdje9KcBvDr8iU2FChveVH7FnCUPgsIq_gdc_7ALh_NT-4tVmnVtUqTSMeAOlDc02tC5rDx4Zqr5Loo1uCKshUphjKIRqD3KbAP_cwEbO5BJ8Cgxv7VHYXX-6tZzyJhhCFLb1K1eVapQiydbWPqdM80OYJcDO0HohhMBAyRX3UXqIl3ZCoNuN8KjwY.UTZa4SomRorcg0fTHK_dNyrDvZy_99fZEqpRQbJajQI&dib_tag=se&keywords=65w%2Bpower%2Bbank%2B50000mah&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1728384470&sprefix=65w%2Bpower%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-19&th=1

• D-One
    edited October 8

5 to 20V, so it should work in theory. The brand's website does not inspire confidence tho…http://www.imuto.com/POWER%20BANK.html

No product pages, fake links that lead nowhere.. Then again a big portion of reviews say it's fine while only about 20% claim it died after 2 weeks or so. Might be a bit of a gamble.

If you have some electronics shops in your city I'd check those, sometimes you find better promos than online and warranty is a lor easyer to deal with in physical stores.

• el-bo

Thanks!

I could probably get to some places that ight stock a selection, but would have to add travel, time and the chance of not finding anything suitable (or suitably priced) onto the overallexpense. Besides, I seem to be in good stead with Amazon, regarding returns and refunds, so that feels safer for me.

But I will defer to your greater expertise and not take a chance on this model. I think that I might just wait till I have enough money for the Nexode :)

Thanks again!

• el-bo

A cautionary talr. Not mine, but still.

Saw this bank going for a good price (Prime discount + extra 20% voucher):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bank-65W-20000mAh-Portable-High-speed-etc-Coral/dp/B0CM3KW84Q/ref%3Dcm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Checking the reviews, i found the following customer exhaustive customer review. Could be just his particular unit, but who knows?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R1993XICUVCBOX/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0CM3KW84Q