Can headphones work with S61 keyboard and Komplete Kontrol ?

aquafx
aquafx Member Posts: 5 Member

I'm having issues with headphones not working correctly with my new S61.

When I use headphones (3 types, USB wired, wireless, and Bluetooth) the keyboard only produces a default sound. I get no Prehear sounds despite the setting being on in KK and keyboard. When I load a preset there is no sound change with keystrokes and no sound changes when adjusting parameters with knobs although the KK software communicates and rotates knobs visually. Just no sound changes in headphones.

I have read the manual and tinkered with Windows 11 sound settings, system sounds, and paired bitrates. No change at all.

It seems to work when sound is output through my monitor. Unfortunately, this or speakers is not an option for me.

Any suggestions to help solve my issue would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

best is if you use wired headphones with an interface that has asio drivers. What interface do you have, for your speakers, and what are the interface and output settings in komplete kontrol prefs?

• aquafx

Thanks for your reply

I only have a PC, ROG Strix Z590-E motherboard with onboard audio, and installed asio drivers. No audio interface.

I have only the Logitech Wired usb headphones at this time.

• Uwe303

Can you make a picture of the audio settings from komplete kontrol prefs, windows has a snipping tool for that purpose.

• aquafx
    edited October 2022

Hope I got this right! Thanks for your help.

• Uwe303
    edited October 2022

Why don't you use the realtek asio, try this and report again. Even if asio4all should also work. And for the midi ins and out settings you only need to activate the komplete kontrol - 1 port, not the ext. and not the DAW port but this should be no problem.

• aquafx

When I try to select Realtek asio, KK hangs with hourglass, then grays out and stops responding. Same result multiple times including with asio4all uninstalled and a restart. On midi in and output I now have only KK -1 port enabled. Unfortunately still the same result. I also tried unselecting on midi output (Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth) then I get no sound at all oon headphones or monitor..

So everything works normally with TV monitor speakers, instruments and prehear presets are all audible but as soon as I switch to any of my headphones all I hear is a generic keyboard piano sound with keyboard knobs all communicating with the software but no sound changes.

I appreciate your help and all your suggestions.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Show the setup of ASIO4All. I am not sure, but USB/BT headphones most probably use different audiodevice/audiodriver than output jack. You have to set it correctly in ASIO4All.

Concerning Realtek ASIO driver.... It also hangs my computer if I select it in Maschine, so it might be sort of more general issue than just problem specific to your setup.....

• Uwe303
    edited October 2022

Best would be if you at least buy a cheap native/focusrite/behringer interface with a real asio driver. You will not have fun that way. Also not with BT headphones without a asio driver. @Kublaiak is correct if you use USB or BT Headphones you have to maybe activate them in asio4all, but then also in maschine or kk they are then not on 1-2 they can be on a higher number, so you have to assign maschine/kk 1-2 to 9-10, but that depends on, if you just enable the channels from the usb/but HP additionally to the onboard sound. So i would suggest to concentrate on just one device, preferably wired headphones. That also reduces confusion And really you can disable the windows midi, you don't want that it's just an old standard midi piano, you don't need, i guess you hear it cause you have set the audio device (which one?) you use as standard audio device in windows prefs and you send midi to it.

• Uwe303

Ohh and btw if you want to use the usb/bt headphones without any hassle don't use asio, use the windows driver shared mode and then you can select the usb/bt hp. But as I said it's not ideal.

• aquafx
    edited October 2022

I have ordered a new KA2 interface and Sony MDR7506 wired headphones.

While I wait for them to arrive I will continue to tinker with your ideas and suggestions and report if anything changes. BTW I did remove Voicemeeter Banana after I remembered what it was, not needed.

Not sure how I feel about this new keyboard costing me a lot more just to get working headphones. It would have been nice to put that money towards some new sounds. It is, what it is I guess.

• Uwe303

But believe me, that way you will have a lot more fun with it and it will just work with little delay. You press a key and the sound will come, also important if you play an instrument and to achieve this you need a proper audio interface with real asio drivers. But meanwhile as I said you can select the other driver, where you have set asio, then under that you should be able to directly select your USB/BT headphones.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

To be clear, the keyboard doesn't produce sound, it's only the Komplete Kontrol software that needs to have a proper audio driver. I'd suggest checking these articles and videos:

Setting up ASIO4ALL for Onboard Sound Cards

Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing