Traktor hardware with Battery Power

wahala
wahala Member Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

HI,

Has anyone run Traktor controllers on battery? Im looking for a portable solution for outdoor DJing. The Traktor DJ iPad app is good for this, just want to connect a controller.

I have the Z1 and have heard it can operate from a powerbank, although Ive not got this to work. what Ive tried is the usual phone charging type powerbanks with a myvolts usb to 15v lead. It switched on and then cut off.

Im assuming a bigger / better battery will be better but they are pricey so would like to hear others experiences first.

Secondly, i hear the s2mk3 can run via usb from a powerbank. Is this true and if so, how do you charge the ipad?

Many thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It depends on your iPad.

My a14 iPad needs 3amps to optimally charge and uses 1.5-2amps to run for something like 6- 8hrs if you binge on it. It can output up to 2 amps to power usb devices but it will last for around 4hrs max when doing so just with it's internal battery alone.

Knowing this can give you a pretty good basis for what battery you'll need for optimal use.

3amp(or 3000ma)/hrs x 8hrs = 24000ma battery. This will keep you iPad with accessories running for 4-6 hrs before you have to use the iPads internal battery.

This is for my iPad with an akai amx though and I can't see your z1 using more power than it.

The S3 can be powered from a power bank using 2000ma/hrs x 8hrs=16000ma battery via the usb b port. If your iPad has a full charge you'll get 6-8hrs however I can't tell you if you iPad will charge connected to the s3 this way.

If you get a battery make sure it can output minimum 3amps from one of the single USB ports not all together combined.

Something like this might be ideal.

ref=pd_lpo_2

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

You may power Z1 using USB, no need for other power source. I have no idea if iPad is able to deliver sufficient current.

• TeLLy
    TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor

You may be able to get it to work via bus power if you hook it up to a powered USB hub, run through the Apple lightning-to-USB adapter, then into the iPad.

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓

It depends on your iPad.

My a14 iPad needs 3amps to optimally charge and uses 1.5-2amps to run for something like 6- 8hrs if you binge on it. It can output up to 2 amps to power usb devices but it will last for around 4hrs max when doing so just with it's internal battery alone.

Knowing this can give you a pretty good basis for what battery you'll need for optimal use.

3amp(or 3000ma)/hrs x 8hrs = 24000ma battery. This will keep you iPad with accessories running for 4-6 hrs before you have to use the iPads internal battery.

This is for my iPad with an akai amx though and I can't see your z1 using more power than it.

The S3 can be powered from a power bank using 2000ma/hrs x 8hrs=16000ma battery via the usb b port. If your iPad has a full charge you'll get 6-8hrs however I can't tell you if you iPad will charge connected to the s3 this way.

If you get a battery make sure it can output minimum 3amps from one of the single USB ports not all together combined.

Something like this might be ideal.

ref=pd_lpo_2

• Digital_Fist
    Digital_Fist Member Posts: 21 Member

According to everything else I've just read, the Z1 is no longer supported with iPads which is hugely disappointing because I signed up with the forum an hour or so ago looking for advice on doing the precise same thing and it seems it's not possible anymore, despite my friend showing me his identical setup as recently as yesterday. :(

I suppose I could take my S2 out into the forest but it kills half the portability aspect.

• Binzy
    Binzy Member Posts: 9 Newcomer

Hello,

was it ever discovered if the S2/S3 can be used with a portable power bank??

David

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

There are some very powerful batteries out there. I would check portable batteries for camping. They have come down in price over the last 5 years or so. That way you get something quality that can last for a long time. Also more than likely you might find more things that need power. Like speakers or some lights?

• Binzy
    Binzy Member Posts: 9 Newcomer

Thanks man!