How do YOU like to use your Maschine Jam?

2»

Comments

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

I did not know about that one, will check it out!

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 201 Advisor

I was thinking if the touch strips got replaced with faders, the Jam would have lost its magic.

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 92 Advisor

I think yes, it will. You have two hands to turn two faders simultaneously. And you have 10 gingers to touch so much stripes :)

I would like to see a Jam mk2, or even a Jam+ if that is possible at all.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert

This is quite a strange comment ☺️. What prevents you to use fingers for more than 2 faders?

Oh wait…I see now that you said “turn”… maybe you are confusing faders with knobs? ☺️

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Back to fader x touchstripe. I prefer fader, because of the physical feedback. But on the other side, on touchstripe one may make "jumps", touch here, touch there.... With fader one makes just slides, not jumps.

• Murat Kayi

The Touchstrips are Multitouch and allow for unique modulations, automation and editing which you cannot reproduce with faders.

Also, in any mixing or editing session they are basically like motorized faders indicating exactly where you left off or where a parameter's at.

In addition, they can also indicate movements in automation that way, which would also be next to impossible even with motorized faders given the complex automation possible to record. Let alone I wouldn't want the noise of servos.

Shift+touchstrip changes the increment resolution which is hard to reproduce with faders

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro
    edited August 2023

The maschine Jam is awesome

im sure you all know about the scene triggerring... with the midi change, using separate midi channel & notes.. also most of the maschine songs usually dont go in excess of 16 scenes

so i've been using the maschine Jam in midi mode within a DAW & mapped x4 separate instances of maschine and assigned each instance of a song to a separate midi channels and there respective midi note 0-16 ...

basically allowing me to run 4 songs all synced and triggerring any of the songs scenes from a single maschine Jam page.. all the while having each of the instances with their group volumes on the touchstrip(faders)..

i also do a quick preparation of the song... separating Basslines/Drums/Melodic & other into separate channels using the external outs, and as we have 16 external outs... this makes for 4 songs and 4 separate Basslines/drums/melodic& other for their respective channels...

adding to this i can decide which of the 16 channels i want to send to shaperbox2 for realtime manipulationFX, which is controlled on a 2nd Maschine jam controller..

im really quite impressed with how much intergration i can get with both maschine jam's midi mode & maschine plugin & the host Daw... the mapping possibilities with the Maschine Jam and controller Editor is really powerful when harnessed correctly..

add on top of all this... i also route Virtual DJ with added stems control and control it all via another page on the maschine jam(this requires Bomes midi), additionally i have had both VDJ Traktor Maschine & reaper all running in unison... but as always.. when dealing with so many mapped midi buttons care needs to be taken when mapping midi across so many applications... and careful thought of which of the outer buttons on the maschine Jam can be used for toggles or map switching...

in one particular case.. my traktor mapping within the maschine jam needs a rework... so as to mirror the virtual DJ operations... afterall familiarity of control layouts helps with retention... imagine 4 separate decks and wanting to adjust the bass stem of say deck2 can be quite hectic if your layout isnt intuitive... or the same across 2 different DJ programs.. and in this particular case its better to hold down a assigned stem button... and turn the click encoder to adjust stem levels.. than it is to be flipping through touchstrip banks.. as useful as touchstrips are, fat fingers dont help with control & precision LOL

• Murat Kayi

My favourite Jam Midi Mode project is this:

It's a buchla music easel clone in VCV Rack running on a graphics tablet, so I can draw cables on it. The Jam is set to represent every knob I wanna be able to twist changing through groups of modules from left to right by switching the group buttons. The 64 grid is my keyboard and switches/toggles buttons of certain modules.

After half an hour of playing with it, I didn't even have to look down on the Jam to find the right page and fader for a knob on the UI. Big fun!

• 6xes
    edited August 2023

some colour coding for your jam & you'll be set!!

out of curiousity do you use the Bomes midi translator pro software?? as it can be very helpful in setting up a colour scheme and using the pad matrix as a hold pad down &turn the encoder type of workflow, with some configuration of course ;)

• Murat Kayi

No, I just use the controller editor. I think I could set up colour schemes there, too, right? Is it possible to configure colours for various states of pads, maybe? So I could have bit more bi-directional communication between the Jam and VCV?

• 6xes

controller editor does allow you to Fix the colours, to either a single state or a dual state...

the feedback of button states will be hit & miss if using toggles & dual colours, and i believe youll get decent mileage with the controller editor....

the Bomes midi software is the type of midi software that will take over, when you run into logical brickwalls with controller editor or general brickwalls you need to solve with midi controllers